David13

A Jig Saw Puzzle

Well, today I got out to try again to mount the Warn winch on the Warn mounting bracket, using a long box/open end to come across the winch to hold the bolts going up on the end of the frame into the Warn mount. 

It won't work.  I got the winch in, the bumper back one, and all bolts lined up, but there isn't any room to put the wrench in and across to the bolts.

So it all came off and I'll send the bracket back and get or try the KFI.

I notice a video where they put a Warn winch on a 2016 Rancher, but it's obvious that it's a different bracket.  He calls it a Honda/Warn winch.  So it looks like Warn sells a different bracket for the Honda sold Honda/Warn winch and their own bracket.

But I think also there may be some differences in the 2017 and the 2019.  Unless that lousy video is just phony and he really doesn't tighten those mounting bolts down like that.

dc

Well, time for another episode in the continuing winter long saga of putting a winch (Warn) on the 2019 Rancher 420.

I got the KFI bracket. Rocky Mountain ATV MC still hasn't given me a refund on the Warn bracket. I talked to them 3 times and they keep asking me for the hardware, which, 3x I told them I returned it with the bracket, which I did.

I'll see what they say tomorrow.

After about 6 or 8 tries, I lost count, I got the KFI bracket on and bolted down. I had to take off some of the black plastic grill below the headlights but then half put it back in before I put the bumper on, with the bracket and winch bolted onto the bumper.

To get it all together I had to squeeze the winch down somewhat smaller, so I hope it still runs that way. Without the squeezing down it would not all have fit into the limited space there.

I have two bags of the Honda snap tabs, those usually break after one use. Fortunately I have quite a few of them, as several broke taking off the front plastic.

I still have to figure out what to cut the plastic with on the brush guard. That has to be cut around the winch, it won't squeeze any smaller to get around that.

I don't know what to use to cut it. Maybe a Dremel or an angle grinder. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

Then it's trying to run the wires. I think I will follow the advice here and elsewhere and mount the controller in the back. I'll have to get some wire tabs and cut the wire as the wire is too long to go one foot to the battery from the back, it's 4 feet long.

The controller wire may be too short. I'll see.

I do not like the way the switch is meant to mount on a double bracket on the handle bars. Maybe I can mount it downward, instead of upward, or even use a different switch, maybe mounted onto the plastic somewhere. That can go last.

I didn't like some of the hardware that came with the winch so yesterday I was out shopping for nuts and bolts that I liked.

Today was a nice sunny day of low 40s. But now we are going to be under 32 degrees for at least a week. Someone said it will start getting nicer on February 15.

We have passed the shortest day, so now the days are getting longer. And I'm starting to think of summer weather on the trails, or maybe motorcycle riding. I think I will devote most all weekends to trail riding, tho'. That's what I got an atv for.

But it's a long way off. Last year I didn't get to the top of the mountains til late May or June,

I haven't even started on the motorcycle forks. But there's still time yet.
dc

• Like 1

I used a grinder to trim my skid plate to fit the winch, and mounted my switch on the left under the start button

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David13 said:

To get it all together I had to squeeze the winch down somewhat smaller, so I hope it still runs that way. Without the squeezing down it would not all have fit into the limited space there.

Hahaha.... that reads like a magic trick. 🙂

• Like 1

Well it turns out that the Honda snap tabs I have are 10 mm and they fit the car, the Honda car, but the atv uses 8 mm so I had to order some.  Partzilla had them for $.45 each, but I found some aftermarket on Amazon for 40 for $5.95 so I ordered those.

I have both after market and official Honda on the 10 mm size and found they are the same.  And when they come in a pack of 10 or 40 if they are bad or defective or break, one can just replace them.

dc

The 10mm size is perfect on older machines when the holes get wollered out. Hard to push in and keep everything tight. 

• Like 3

I ordered a bag of 40 8mm, Moto something or other brand.  Exact OEM and all that.

On the new application, I didn't want to stretch out the hole and use the 10 mm, so I just ordered the 8 mm. 

But I think you are right, as they get older and looser, probably the 10 will be the solution.

Now if I can find some wire.

Thanks

dc

My .02

I always run a roller fairlead, as others have said the hawse just generates too much heat. For my plow I always switch out my synthetic and use and old 2" flat tie down strap. The thing has lasted years with no signs of wear. It's just long enough to raise and lower the plow so doesn't bind up on the drum at all.

And I've gone through 3 warn atv winches over the years. All on one machine. Have 4 years on my newest winch and it's a Superwinch, I couldn't be happier

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:03 PM, Akunin said:

My .02

I always run a roller fairlead, as others have said the hawse just generates too much heat. For my plow I always switch out my synthetic and use and old 2" flat tie down strap. The thing has lasted years with no signs of wear. It's just long enough to raise and lower the plow so doesn't bind up on the drum at all.

And I've gone through 3 warn atv winches over the years. All on one machine. Have 4 years on my newest winch and it's a Superwinch, I couldn't be happier

How do you attach your tie-down strap to the winch spool? 

• Like 1

You can use a heat gun to mold the plastic trim around the winch or whatever, adds a little protection, instead of cutting it off.

• Like 1

David , reading thru your winch threads I see you had a hard time with the winch installation , don't feel alone , I had already put winches on my atvs , 2  300s and 2 450s with no problems , then I went to put one on my 1st gen 300 and it was a lot of problems , first there was no winch plate to buy , till I found a NOS , out of production Warn plate still in the packaging with the instructions for a 92 300 ,  the plate never fit without some tweaking , by some drilling , cutting and grinding and adding a spacer bar   ---- I used a Superwinch and the wires were not long enough and I made new cables from the battery to the controller which I mounted next to the winch on this bike 

IMG_8759.JPG

The pic above ^ was not the right pic , this one shows the controller mounted to mirror mounts to the fender support tube 

IMG_8891.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nanook said:

How do you attach your tie-down strap to the winch spool? 

I have a few chunks of broken synthetic rope so I just take about a foot and a half to start around the spool and the other end run through a loop on the strap and either tape it or I prefer to just put it back around the spool, it just pulls the strap around as you bump the spool. I'll try to get some pictures but it's pretty easy to figure out. I just prefer the strap over the regular synthetic line so I can save wear and tear on a good line and the strap pulls the plow up more evenly

• Like 1

I don't let things bother me. 

Sometimes a thing is real easy for me and others cannot understand that as they found that thing hard.

So I just take the situation as it comes and deal with it.

So this has been (and still is) a somewhat thorny winch install, but I'll get it done.

I haven't even started on the motorcycle forks and that will be unusual as it's a BMW, not the conventional forks.  But there is still a lot of winter left here so there is no rush.

dc

• Like 1

I have committed to be out of the storage unit this coming Saturday, the end of February. I'll take my chances with the weather. We did have some snow yesterday, a light and fluffy 2 inches or so that turned the entire world white. All trees wires, etc were all white. But the snow is gone today. All of it.

I have the controller mounted in the tool box on the black plastic panel just behind the battery. If I needed to replace that panel it is available at the grand price of $5.50. OEM part from Honda.

I had to get the NAPA wire long enough to run back there from the winch. Then I need to cut the wires forward to the battery. The switch wires just reach back there.

I found 12 v key on at the "accessory" and tps reset plug near the radiator, or at the top of the radiator. I finally read the electrical diagram for the F6 in the Helm book I have for the 14 to 19 Rancher.

I'll wire the red wire from the switch to the black and white wire going into that plug. I pulled it out and I'll hard wire it to the red wire.

The switch I mounted on the handle bars, left side, but down instead of up. If it was up it would poke into the Cabela's cover I got for outdoor storage. There are many atvs here stored outside under a cover, or just out in the open. I stored mine outside under the cover all last summer and had not a tad of rust. It just doesn't happen here, ,as the climate is so outrageously dry.

Of course, with the switch downward instead of up it's backward. When I'm ready to run it I'll adjust the switch wires onto the controller so that in and out will match up with the words printed on the switch (upside down, of course).

It took a while, but it all looks good. I'll leave the battery wires off, after a check to see if it runs to ride a bit to see if anything comes loose. I added 3 loops bolted to the plastic to hold the wires along with about 50 or 100 tie wraps. If any bolts come loose, I'll add thread locker. I already have lock washers on everything.

I have neglected my motorcycle all winter. I need to get my new tires put on and rebuild the forks, seals, etc. But I have a tpm issue coming up on that. The sensors come with new batteries, but they are $450 for two. But that tpm can be a real help. A friend of mine back in Los Angeles with the same bike relates that his helped him off the freeway recently. It had helped me on a previous BMW motorcycle some years ago. It lets you know when there is a problem before it gets too bad. So you can get off the road to inspect.
dc

Oh, I used a Dremel to cut the skid plate around the winch.
  • Like 1

Well I finally got the machine all back together, finishing off all the connections to the controller, tried the winch and found it to work fine, in was going in and out was going out, even tho' they were up side down with the switch hanging down off the bars, rather than up as they show in the directions.

And walked over to the storage facility and got the machine out and brought it home.  Just a few blocks.  Snow and rain is predicted for Sunday night, but ...

They predict a lot here, and much of it doesn't show up.   We have had some nice weather of late, and it's getting warmer almost every day.  So it looks like winter is just about gone.  And atv ing season is about to start.

The way the season starts, one (me) starts heading up one of the trails til snow is encountered, then continues as long as possible.  Usually it's a big drift across the trail that can't be gone around.  So of it can just be too dangerous, tho'.  Last year one spot had a snow drift but it was melted on one side, but too close to a drop off.  In some places the drop offs are 1000s of feet.  This one was only about 20 feet, but still, I'm not ready to slip off a wet and muddy trail even if it is only 20 feet down.

Then each week one (me) gets further and further up the mountains.  Eventually the top is reached, usually into June or so.  The top is Skyline Drive which runs along the ridge, mostly.  Once it's open to the top, then the nice day trips start.

I am looking at getting set up for over night trips.  But that will take a whole lot of extra equipment.  Cooking, sleeping, etc. 

dc

• Like 1