WonderMonkey

Grease for Utility Wagon Axle

I should get some grease for my utility wagon that I pull behind my Honda.  It's just a shaft and a wheel.  Any suggestions on the kind to get?

19 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

I should get some grease for my utility wagon that I pull behind my Honda.  It's just a shaft and a wheel.  Any suggestions on the kind to get?

any grease will do.

• Like 1

I use a good synthetic wheel bearing grease, same stuff i use on my boat trailer because I pull across the river frequently hauling firewood. So somewhat extreme, otherwise like shadetree said any grease will be fine. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

I use a good synthetic wheel bearing grease, same stuff i use on my boat trailer because I pull across the river frequently hauling firewood. So somewhat extreme, otherwise like shadetree said any grease will be fine. 

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

All I use on my travel trailer is the red wheel bearing grease. Just the basic. However I “assume” you know how to properly pack them?!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

All I use on my travel trailer is the red wheel bearing grease. Just the basic. However I “assume” you know how to properly pack them?!

These aren't for a travel trailer, but a straight-through axle utility trailer that pulls behind my atv.  Just an axle and the wheel slips over it and a pin is used to hold it on.  I'll just grease the axle, inside the wheel sleeve (hole, etc) and put it back on.  As for my normal transport trailer, I've helped pack bearings but have never done it on my own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

mystic red grease ? that's good grease, i used on machines back in the day, but i got started using bel-ray water proof grease.

i have one, no bearing, just a naked axle and hub, some have nylon inserts, mines metal on metal with a a washer on the back side, and one on the front side, with (yep) just a cotter key holding it on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

mystic red grease ? that's good grease, i used on machines back in the day, but i got started using bel-ray water proof grease.

i have one, no bearing, just a naked axle and hub, some have nylon inserts, mines metal on metal with a a washer on the back side, and one on the front side, with (yep) just a cotter key holding it on. 

Mine is just like that.  Metal on metal, washers on both sides, cotter key.  Un-greased, temporarily.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 7:47 AM, WonderMonkey said:

Thanks.  Maybe my old bacon grease?  Just kidding, understood.

Heck no.  That stuff is liquid gold.  You don't waste it on mechanicals!

I like the red high temp grease.  Use it on just about everything.

• Like 3

would deer grease be any good? i made some, stays solid even at high 90s. guess ya got to heat it up, to apply it. maybe ya could blend it. 🙂 

if ya cant be full, be fuller. ya know what im talking about.

Edited by LedFTed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

would deer grease be any good? i made some, stays solid even at high 90s. guess ya got to heat it up, to apply it. maybe ya could blend it. 🙂 

if ya cant be full, be fuller. ya know what im talking about.

'Ted , school me on deer grease !  Is that a combination of animal fat and bees wax ? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

odd no one has mentioned that nasty yak fat....... lol! 

What in the ! did you just call me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lol!!!! not you WM, i was talking about a thread here, some bearings a few people had gotten that were packed with some kind of really nasty grease, and someone named it yak fat, i believe that's the something close, you'd have to do a search for yak fat, pivot work bearings, i believe... 

26 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

lol!!!! not you WM, i was talking about a thread here, some bearings a few people had gotten that were packed with some kind of really nasty grease, and someone named it yak fat, i believe that's the something close, you'd have to do a search for yak fat, pivot work bearings, i believe... 

and '' all balls ''..bearings.

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

'Ted , school me on deer grease !  Is that a combination of animal fat and bees wax ? 

ya cut off the winter fat,(that stuff make the meat taste bad if ya leave it on), cook it in a pot,taking out the sinew, pour it in a coffee can. IDK what kind of temperatures it will take. no need to waste bacon grease though.