freebo86

Should there be oil in here?

my thinking on this might be off, but when these are welded / fabricated wouldn't there be some draw, (push and pull) on the metal ? i know welding on things in the past, I've had this happen, but never bad enough to really cause a fitting issue. 

fish ^^^^ 

25 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

my thinking on this might be off, but when these are welded / fabricated wouldn't there be some draw, (push and pull) on the metal ? i know welding on things in the past, I've had this happen, but never bad enough to really cause a fitting issue. 

fish ^^^^ 

You would think Honda's quality control  would take warpage  into consideration ---- I think it is more a weak point issue , maybe some atvs get ridden by fat guys or riding double up , some riding hard going air borne , who knows , seen 3 450 pics  today , Shade's and two of mine and they are all tight , no gap and then Freebo's   got a 1/2 inch + gap 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

You would think Honda's quality control  would take warpage  into consideration ---- I think it is more a weak point issue , maybe some atvs get ridden by fat guys or riding double up , some riding hard going air borne , who knows , seen 3 450 pics  today , Shade's and two of mine and they are all tight , no gap and then Freebo's   got a 1/2 inch + gap 

Nah, the gap is like 3/16”. 

I guess your looking at the old photo. After I took it apart and I did another go at it. Like I said, the more I thread the pivot in the more of a gap. So i took it out, and used fingers to go hand tight then my 3/8a torque wrench to get to to 7ft lbs. 

this is how it sits now with 3/16s

left side

40 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

I guess your looking at the old photo. After I took it apart and I did another go at it. Like I said, the more I thread the pivot in the more of a gap. So i took it out, and used fingers to go hand tight then my 3/8a torque wrench to get to to 7ft lbs. 

this is how it sits now with 3/16s

image.jpg

left side 

image.jpg

left side is good, right side is not correct. in the first pic you posted, with the very large gap, i just looked at it again, and from the pic , it looks to me that i see part of the bearing sticking out past the swing arm ?, this might be way out there ?, but for my sanity , is there any chance the swing arm bearing is either not pressed all the way into the swing arm ?, or maybe the swing arm bearing has been double stacked ?. i say this, because i know for a fact, there should not be a bearing sticking out past the end of the swing arm !. what should be inside there, is the inner tin plate ( grease ), outer bearing race, inner bearing race ( some are tapered, some are flat ) then the dust seal, which in most cases are pressed in flush with the swing arm edge.

You know I love to beat a dead horse , LOL , looks like the gap in this pic of the other side  is Canadian on top and USA standard on the bottom , i suffer from OCD , LOL 

image.png

• Like 2

Can someone measure me what the distance is front left side of frame to ride side of frame (inside dimensions of where the swing arm pivots). Let’s see if the frame is spreading. 

52 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

Can someone measure me what the distance is front left side of frame to ride side of frame (inside dimensions of where the swing arm pivots). Let’s see if the frame is spreading. 

sure can, brb with measurements

kinda hard to get the tape measure in the correct spot ?, but it looked like 10 3/4 inside edge to inside edge to the frame right there where the swing arm bolts up.

Like mentioned ,  sometimes when it ain't just right  -----  you just got to " Send It "  ---- what's the worst can happen , it's already funked up   ----   LOL --- you know we love you Freebo , if I didn't , I wouldn't mess with you 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Like mentioned ,  sometimes when it ain't just right  -----  you just got to " Send It "  ---- what's the worst can happen , it's already funked up   ----   LOL --- you know we love you Freebo , if I didn't , I wouldn't mess with you 

i still would like to know if the right side has been double stacked with swing arm bearings ?!..lol.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

i still would like to know if the right side has been double stacked with swing arm bearings ?!..lol.

That's a good thought --------   I have that 95 300 , the previous owner didn't get  the outer race out of the lower steering shaft bearing , I rode the bike like that for a long  time before  the bearing went out , and it bent that lower bearing support ,  that was when I found it in there , that  had also changed to a shorter steering shaft to make the upper bushing line up , you never know what them previous owner are up too , dirty rotten scoundrels that bunch  ----- 

• Like 2

I can't help to notice that some weird , off the wall stuff happens to follow  Freebo , my grandma use to always preach " you mess with them Kiodels and your going to get fleas " , hope none of dat weird stuff rubs off 

• Like 1

Just looks like threads showing in that gap to me.

Gap now looks like several I’ve had.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Just looks like threads showing in that gap to me.

Gap now looks like several I’ve had.

look at the edge of the swing arm..pay no attention to the bolt threads. i see the edge of what looks like ?, the outer edge of the bearing sticking out past the edge with some grease smeared on it. this is in his first pic he posted.

op, loosen the right side bolt on the swing arm most of the way out of frame, then take a 2 inch ratchet strap, and attach it to the frame under there, see if you can pull the frame together ?. if not ?, then send it. if it goes in a good ways ?, then put the swing arm bolt back in, and tighten it back in the swing arm bearing, then tighten the lock nut back down. it does not take much pressure at all to push the frame apart..even at 7 lbs of force !.

12 hours ago, shadetree said:

mine are the tapered style bearings 

Hi; Did you remove the old tapper bearing cone?

On 7/18/2021 at 7:14 AM, Melatv said:

Hi; Did you remove the old tapper bearing cone?

What do you mean?

I had pulled the bearings out to clean them off. This is the only photo I have of them reinstalled when I greased it all. 

Hi: Did the new bearing come with the cone also?

5 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: Did the new bearing come with the cone also?

I reused my existing ones as they moved freely. I just cleaned them up. They were OEM Made in Japan ones. 

1 minute ago, freebo86 said:

I reused my existing ones as they moved freely. I just cleaned them up. They were OEM Made in Japan ones. 

do you have a photo of the right side while apart ?, i want to see the right side of the swing arm.

On 7/18/2021 at 11:33 AM, shadetree said:

do you have a photo of the right side while apart ?, i want to see the right side of the swing arm.

I usually take lots of photos but on this project I didnt.. this is all I have.. why what are you thinking?

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 11:49 AM, freebo86 said:

I usually take lots of photos but on this project I didnt.. this is all I have.. why what are you thinking?

D32B430E-ABE6-4F5A-B1C6-2E7CB72FF681.jpeg

90456551-8E3D-440E-B4CE-9AB0A87D8080.jpeg

i wanted to see the right side of the swing arm, so i could see if the swing arm bearings were double stacked or not ?.