freebo86

Should there be oil in here?

2 hours ago, freebo86 said:

This may break the camels back. 

Topped it off with oil. Pulled boot back some and cleaned in by the seal. I raised the bike to tilt it back (so oil is pushing against the seal) and I’ll check it tomorrow morning see if I feel oil seeping. Don’t feel like pulling the whole swing arm to check this. If it’s leaking, I’ll see if the dealer will replace it with a new seal (even though not their fault..) if not I may just keep adding oil.. 

And then a for sale ad.

hopefully its just oil that was still in the swing arm that did not get cleaned out ?. if its older than 10 yrs old ?, dealers ( most ) wont touch it with a ten foot pole.

3 hours ago, freebo86 said:

This may break the camels back. 

Topped it off with oil. Pulled boot back some and cleaned in by the seal. I raised the bike to tilt it back (so oil is pushing against the seal) and I’ll check it tomorrow morning see if I feel oil seeping. Don’t feel like pulling the whole swing arm to check this. If it’s leaking, I’ll see if the dealer will replace it with a new seal (even though not their fault..) if not I may just keep adding oil.. 

And then a for sale ad.

Nope

You’re too far into it at this point.

Look at it this way. You now know how to fix a LOT of stuff on this particular model. Might as well finish it up. Once done it will be good for decades if you take care of it

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

hopefully its just oil that was still in the swing arm that did not get cleaned out ?. if its older than 10 yrs old ?, dealers ( most ) wont touch it with a ten foot pole.

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Nope

You’re too far into it at this point.

Look at it this way. You now know how to fix a LOT of stuff on this particular model. Might as well finish it up. Once done it will be good for decades if you take care of it

What I meant by dealer is to give me a new seal as maybe the one I picked up was defective.. 

I can’t keep dumping money into this rig. Just reading the few posts this oil leak issue could be endless it seems with different avenues of possibilities 

2 hours ago, freebo86 said:

What I meant by dealer is to give me a new seal as maybe the one I picked up was defective.. 

I can’t keep dumping money into this rig. Just reading the few posts this oil leak issue could be endless it seems with different avenues of possibilities 

welcome to the world of owning an atv !!!..lol. dumping money into a used ( and yes..unless it's new with a warranty ? ) even new machines have money dumped into them, it's all part of owning, repairing an atv freeobo86, no one gets a free ride, we all pay up, either at the front, during, and after the sale...lol. what little cash you have invested into this atv ?, is pocket change to some of us, get very used to it ?, or don't own an atv..that simple.

• Like 2

I got to give it you for hanging in there , I have never seen anyone have as bad of luck as you have had  Freebo , seems every step of the way has been a problem 

• Like 2

Fish is right, as is shade.

But hang in there! What you have now is minor, and you’ve already done the hard stuff!

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Fish is right, as is shade.

But hang in there! What you have now is minor, and you’ve already done the hard stuff!

Minor? Lol 

Possibilities listed so far, bent shaft, worn shaft, bad seal installation, shaft bearing. Or I’m sure there is a few more. Endless. I just don’t have that kind of will or drive in me anymore to keep tackling things only to find something else needs attention. 

Topped off oil, went for a good ride oil level dropped, boot had oil it in again. I’ll grab a new seal and give it another go. If doesn’t fix it so be it, I just can’t get ahead with this machine no matter how hard I try. 

In the grand scheme of things, I’d prefer something more comfortable (IRS) so I’ll be in the market sooner than later.   

21 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

Minor? Lol 

Possibilities listed so far, bent shaft, worn shaft, bad seal installation, shaft bearing. Or I’m sure there is a few more. Endless. I just don’t have that kind of will or drive in me anymore to keep tackling things only to find something else needs attention. 

Topped off oil, went for a good ride oil level dropped, boot had oil it in again. I’ll grab a new seal and give it another go. If doesn’t fix it so be it, I just can’t get ahead with this machine no matter how hard I try. 

In the grand scheme of things, I’d prefer something more comfortable (IRS) so I’ll be in the market sooner than later.   

try another seal, be very careful how you install it, also..inspect the area where the seal fits, see if it's damaged ?, any kind of nick inside right there will cause a leak. worse case..the finale shaft is bent, if it is ?, then the engine will need to be pulled, split in order to replace the shaft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

try another seal, be very careful how you install it, also..inspect the area where the seal fits, see if it's damaged ?, any kind of nick inside right there will cause a leak. worse case..the finale shaft is bent, if it is ?, then the engine will need to be pulled, split in order to replace the shaft.

What about putting a thin layer of MotoSeal in the opening before you installing the seal? 

30 minutes ago, freebo86 said:

What about putting a thin layer of MotoSeal in the opening before you installing the seal? 

no, please don't !. if the seal is good ?, and the area is not damaged ?, you do not need anything but a good , new oil seal, that is all you need !.

if the final shaft is bent ?, nothing will stop it from leaking oil.

• Like 1

Another question, that rear ujoint - is there a specific way which end of it goes towards engine vs. Rear diff or does it not matter? 

that one i can't answer, a lift kit, larger (heavier)  tires and gear  ratio reductions always put more stress on the drive train, but from your thread i don't recall you doing any of that, you'd need to talk with shade, or someone else who has done those mods, and had issues, but I'm curious as if the shaft is bent. 

1 hour ago, freebo86 said:

So my next question, how does this output shaft actually get bent?

One way I could think of how the output shaft could get bent ,  is from having bad swing arm bearings and slamming it -----  

• Like 1

along with fish up yunder ^^^ anything is posb before you got yer hands on it ?. but they will bend, i've seen them break in half !. with the rubber boot out of the way, atv up off the ground ( all 4 tires ). spin the rear wheels, watch the output shaft, if tis bent ?, you will see it wobble.

Go with a new seal -- as said above -- take care setting it in place -- using something that will keep in straight when tapping it in place.

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 3

Well pulled the boot back some, raised the rear wheels. I set a screw driver on the shaft from above and turned the wheels to see if the screw driver would shift indicating a bend/wobble and couldn’t see it. Don’t think the shaft is bent.

so would it still be a bad idea to put some motoseal around the lip where the seal slides into the casing?

• Like 1

Is the vent clear on the case? -- not plugged --- motoseal not going to hurt  -- is oil leaking out on the edge of the seal or center of the seal?

52 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Is the vent clear on the case? -- not plugged --- motoseal not going to hurt  -- is oil leaking out on the edge of the seal or center of the seal?

Which vent? The crankcase vent?

I can’t tell where it’s leaking from without pulling the entire swing arm off. 

The output shafts get bent when the ujoint explodes, but that's usually from abuse and big tires.

If your output shaft isn't bent, should be able to just put a new seal in there.  I think you'll have to pull the swingarm again to do it though.  No way of getting it driven on there straight with the swingarm in the way.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, jeepwm69 said:

The output shafts get bent when the ujoint explodes, but that's usually from abuse and big tires.

If your output shaft isn't bent, should be able to just put a new seal in there.  I think you'll have to pull the swingarm again to do it though.  No way of getting it driven on there straight with the swingarm in the way.

Got a new seal coming in tomorrow. And yah, I’ll pull the swing arm again. Talked with the guy at the service he said it wouldn’t hurt to but a bit extra sealant around the lip.. but not sure what kind. Any recommendations? permatex ultra black?

Motoseal? Don’t think this is resistive against oil.

actually.. nevermind the tech sheet says it is. 

0283E40E-47C9-405D-8336-E9C174B93D4B.jpeg

Edited by freebo86
  • Like 1