Wheeler

K&N Filter.

Well I pulled the pin & ordered a new K&N for my 300. I currently have a Twin Air Foam filter. I run K&N in all my vehicles, so I’ll see if I gain any throttle response or .1hp lol! I’ll keep y’all posted on my thoughts. I’ll have it Wed & heading out this week end..

• Thanks 1

Two of my atvs have K+Ns , not that I bought them , they came with the ATV , so  I can't say I noticed  any difference in performance , have had people try to scare me out of using them , they say the finer dust will go thru them , I think as long as you keep them serviced and oiled up , it doesn't scare me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used a K&N on one of the Jeeps for a very short period of time.  While I noticed no perceivable difference in performance, I did find very fine silt in the carb throat that had gotten through the filter, so I ditched it.

I think they're great on race cars.  Won't use them on anything I use off road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my xj jeep has one, all of my toyotas in the past have had them, except the diesel L engine, that one cost too much to have custom made, I'm agreement as long as there serviced, and oiled, they don't worry me, I've heard the more dust/gets on them, the better they filter out the fine particles .... but i don't know if this is true or not, the 97 300 has a stock honda filter, and the 2000 has a uni, both treated with bel-ray foam oil, and that stuff is super messy, and sticky, lol, i don't think i would run a k&n on my bikes, without the sock (outer pre cleaner) those dont get oiled, twin air is a real good filter from what I've read. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 2

I have a S+B air intake on my 6.7 Cummins , they gave me a choice washable or dry/replaceable , went with the dry replaceable , first time I went to replace it , they wanted $70 , tried to cross it over and couldn't find a crossover , then was lucky to find them for $50 each ---   man ,  do they get dirty fast , seems much quicker than the original filter , which the I replaced the OEM air box cause it cracked right at the latch 

• Like 1

My Nissan Rogue has one (put it on the week I bought it new in 2018) my truck has one, & I always ran one in my Xterra for 11 years. I like the fact they are washable. I don’t ride in dusty areas, mainly forest roads & bush, & then fall when it’s either mud or snow hunting… I’ll keep the Twin just in case I want to go back.. my $ is in a K&N without the back fire spark cage will allow way more air.. I’ll keep eye on spark plug & jet accordingly IF need be…

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

if it doesn't improve horse power/ gas milage on a stock engine, i reckon the attraction is it's that it's reusable ? all 3 ideas would attrack me, i went with mine just for those reasons, but on a stock engine, i wouldnt think there would be much change in horse power, but now wheeler, aren't you running a built engine ? with a sport carb 355 bbk ? so you might see a change, I'm curios myself. 

your not kidding, fish, we had to clean combine air filters (engine, and cab a/c ) daily, when shelling beans thank goodness they come with a inner safety filter, ha! even jeeps johndeere  2640 does. fish i bet you've seen some really messed up filters on some of the equiptment you've worked on.... 

• Like 2

Ran k&n for years. Properly maintained with all the right cleaners and oils. Followed directions to the T. Would take a white towel and wipe out the intake tube (passed the filter) before the carb. Would come out brown or black depending on the riding condistions. Went to uni. I use oxyclean laundry detergent in the sink to clean it. Use the proper foam oil. Have had clean white rags ever since. The k&n is slowly (and i say slowly because it will take a long time) sandblasting your combustion chamber. I have 3 uni filters total. And i will change them mid ride if i absulutely need to. But i just keep them oiled and ready in a zip lock bag. My .02

• Like 3

i run stock on all my atvs. k&n is not made for off road in my book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i run stock on all my atvs. k&n is not made for off road in my book.

yes shade.. u are all about OEM & reliability.. I am all about every ounce of HP I can gain & power! Everyone has always told me if u want power buy a machine with that power. I like taking something & turning into something no one could image or really does. I took a 99’ Toyota Tercel & had 50k into it & made 245whp at 20lbs of boost on a Subaru WRX turbo…. I LIKE to be different. 

I’m sure a K&N won’t kill my motor before I ever retire it.. but I will do a carb wipe like mentioned!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

yes shade.. u are all about OEM & reliability.. I am all about every ounce of HP I can gain & power! Everyone has always told me if u want power buy a machine with that power. I like taking something & turning into something no one could image or really does. I took a 99’ Toyota Tercel & had 50k into it & made 245whp at 20lbs of boost on a Subaru WRX turbo…. I LIKE to be different. 

I’m sure a K&N won’t kill my motor before I ever retire it.. but I will do a carb wipe like mentioned!!!!!

well news flash for you bro...YOU WON'T SEE ANY DIFFERENCE IN HP WITH A K&N FILTER !, but hey..its you're cash !..lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

well news flash for you bro...YOU WON'T SEE ANY DIFFERENCE IN HP WITH A K&N FILTER !, but hey..its you're cash !..lol.

u actually make me want to dyno my quad before & after to settle the world debate! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i was wandering when that come up ^^^^ lol next will be an air filter thread, which like the tire, and oil threads should make for some great entertainment :D 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

u actually make me want to dyno my quad before & after to settle the world debate! Lol

be my guest..more money i get to see u waste !..rofl.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i was wandering when that come up ^^^^ lol next will be an air filter thread, which like the tire, and oil threads should make for some great entertainment 😄

this is an air filter thread...lol.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i might as well get my popcorn supply ready, lol! 

and some pizza too !..this gonna be awhile...lol.

• Like 1

I don't know if K&n changed the filter for the 300 over the years but way back when I ran one the housing was metal so you couldn't clamp it tight on the intake tube going from the air box to the carb. They most likely switched to plastic i would guess. I seen zero improvements in performance (this was a 350cc 300) and preferred the ease of maintenance of the foam so the K&N went to the trash. For the water accidents (drowning) the foam worked better and that's what that machine was built for, mud and water.  

• Like 1

I NEVER nor WILL go thru deep water.. not my thing.. so I’ll have zero issue there… no metal just hard rubber. Fit like a glove…

Got er installed today.. once I got it going (too much air now) & warmed up I adjusted the fuel screw in the carb in so she idles & throttles perfect. So again, this week end I’ll see how it goes & what I think…

2A3B22E1-C255-40C4-97C9-1F576D436A0E.jpeg

• Like 3

Wife & I got out camping for the week end. Had a good time. Seen the largest bobcat EVER in my life. It dwarfed my two Rottweilers believe it or not. I thought it was a wolf at first. Kewl to see. 50yards sitting down staring at camper. Had the quad out on Sat for few hours. I must say.. holds gears longer while climbing hills on the road. ( wife & I must weigh….330lbs combined) so I was quite happy with it. Seems more responsive. I tweaked fuel screw a bit more as well. Fires rite up cold but lower idle. Once warm purrs like a kitten… I pulled the cover & only one small piece of grass on filter… 

Shall we say… Another Happy Camper! Ha!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Wife & I got out camping for the week end. Had a good time. Seen the largest bobcat EVER in my life. It dwarfed my two Rottweilers believe it or not. I thought it was a wolf at first. Kewl to see. 50yards sitting down staring at camper. Had the quad out on Sat for few hours. I must say.. holds gears longer while climbing hills on the road. ( wife & I must weigh….330lbs combined) so I was quite happy with it. Seems more responsive. I tweaked fuel screw a bit more as well. Fires rite up cold but lower idle. Once warm purrs like a kitten… I pulled the cover & only one small piece of grass on filter… 

Shall we say… Another Happy Camper! Ha!

what we really wanna know, is how many hp did you gain ??..lol.

• Haha 1

When you'll were teenagers , any body here use to flip your air filter cover upside down on your car and it would sound a lot better !

• Like 4

Just now, Fishfiles said:

When you'll were teenagers , any body here use to flip your air filter cover upside down on your car and it would sound a lot better !

i did that..my dad used to chew my butt for doing it on his chevy caprice , it had a 305 in it, sounded mean when i turned the air filter lid upside down..lol.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

i did that..my dad used to chew my butt for doing it on his chevy caprice , it had a 305 in it, sounded mean when i turned the air filter lid upside down..lol.

Made it feel like you were going faster , extra horsepower ,  eh !!!! ---- 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1