RS990

Unknown part??

Anybody knows what part this is? The manual doesn't mention it, the wiring diagrams don't show the part and the online parts fiche shows the part but no reference to it! A diode?? The part is between the regulator/rectifier and battery on a 2009 420 FPM. The ATV won't charge with it plugged in, if I bypass it the battery charged.

20210712_172211.jpg

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i thought it might be #37 so it's the bank angle censor ? 

no, #10 is the bank angle sensor. i've gone through the service manual on here, and a crap load of micro fich's, it shows it as number # 37 on partzilla's page in the pic, but the parts list only goes to # 35..lol. i have no idea what it is ?, but if i had to guess ?, its some kinda heat sink or a relay of some sort ?, no where on honda's pages shows what it is.

• Like 1

Yes it's no.37, my dealer confirmed me it's a diode (RECTIFIER ASSY.), part number 31710-hp5-651.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

no, #10 is the bank angle sensor. i've gone through the service manual on here, and a crap load of micro fich's, it shows it as number # 37 on partzilla's page in the pic, but the parts list only goes to # 35..lol. i have no idea what it is ?, but if i had to guess ?, its some kinda heat sink or a relay of some sort ?, no where on honda's pages shows what it is.

If this thing goes south the bike will not charge, I've messed up my diagnostic because of that and the manual has no mention of it.

oh okay, yeah i noticed it stopped at #35 i don't understand why they would leave it out, glad you found out what it is RS.

1 hour ago, RS990 said:

It's part of the recoil starter kit.

i checked on the recoil fich, and that part was not on the list or picture ?, care to have your dealer tell you WHERE on the fich its located part wise ?.lol.

33 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i checked on the recoil fich, and that part was not on the list or picture ?, care to have your dealer tell you WHERE on the fich its located part wise ?.lol.

For the part you will need your serial number if your bike has one. Number for the kit 08U78-HP7-100

Remember this post https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/2013-honda-rancher-420fm-electrical-problem.125374/

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RS990 said:

For the part you will need your serial number if your bike has one. Number for the kit 08U78-HP7-100

Remember this post https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/2013-honda-rancher-420fm-electrical-problem.125374/

slept sense then, lol. no, i do not have this atv model, and glad i don't !..lol. give it to honda to slap a part on their machines, and not tell you what it is !!..lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shadetree said:

slept sense then, lol. no, i do not have this atv model, and glad i don't !..lol. give it to honda to slap a part on their machines, and not tell you what it is !!..lol.

And because of their screw up I made a wrong call on a regulator!! 

13 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Here is a picture of the recoil kit showing all the components including that diode

The funny part is, the diode is not even  listed on the kit inventory on the box either-just the wiring harness

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265165826785?epid=14038194560&hash=item3dbd1d6ae1:g:jeoAAOSwfHVgpUK2

yeah, i do not understand why they do not show this part on the fich ?.

5 hours ago, RS990 said:

wow, I don't even recall looking for that part back then. 

https://www.hondaatvforums.net/threads/2011-trx420-tpa-recoil-starter.87049/

here's another defence ^^^ 

Ok, I'm at a loss, did a wrong call on the regulator because of the lack of info in the manual. The suspected culprit was the rectifier(diode) that is inline on the red wire coming from the regulator/rectifier to the battery, if connected the battery does not charge if bypassed the battery charge. We ordered a new rectifier(diode), with the new rectifier the battery still doesn't charge!!!

47 minutes ago, RS990 said:

Ok, I'm at a loss, did a wrong call on the regulator because of the lack of info in the manual. The suspected culprit was the rectifier(diode) that is inline on the red wire coming from the regulator/rectifier to the battery, if connected the battery does not charge if bypassed the battery charge. We ordered a new rectifier(diode), with the new rectifier the battery still doesn't charge!!!

have you checked the voltage on battery with it running to see what the output of the stator is ?. if battery is still good ?, then this means the reg/rec is bad ?, or the stator is bad ?.

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

have you checked the voltage on battery with it running to see what the output of the stator is ?. if battery is still good ?, then this means the reg/rec is bad ?, or the stator is bad ?.

Battery is good so is the stator, if I probe the red wire at the regulators I get 14v, the regulator does it job but it doesn't go to the battery for some reason. The manual doesn't mention nothing about the diode and the capacitor for the recoil, it's hard to diagnose without proper documentation! 

2 minutes ago, RS990 said:

Battery is good so is the stator, if I probe the red wire at the regulators I get 14v, the regulator does it job but it doesn't go to the battery for some reason. The manual doesn't mention nothing about the diode and the capacitor for the recoil, it's hard to diagnose without proper documentation! 

14 volts coming out of reg/rec is too high.