building this for my neighbor 3 doors down, he's been asking all the time for a cheap 4x4 atv, so here i am, restoring a 1991 trx300fw. so far, case half is busted out where the pinion needle bearing sat. ring gear and pinion gear have some bad teeth on them, not sure i want to run them ?. big pinion bearing is shot, nothing but outer race still in diff case. here is some quick pics i just took.

IMG_1602.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

goodness! the PO sure showed that bike some love...... 

i've seen worse in my yrs of doing this. even the collar that goes on the pinion gear is missing ?, as well as the ring gear shims ?. some one has had this apart, and did not put it back together right..scary thought huh ?!..lol.

• Like 3

Nice, Looks like a great project to bring back to life!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, THH said:

Nice, Looks like a great project to bring back to life!!

yeah, it needs a ton of love, but i will make her good again !. updates when i find time to post here ?!..lol

• Like 4

Frame looks to be in decent shape....

• Like 1

I'd try to reuse those gears if the teeth aren't missing/completely ruined.  Maybe file down the harsh spots.

Reason being good gear sets are hard as ! to find now.  I've been watching for a set of Caltric gears for awhile now and they've been out of stock forever.  Caltric usually sells crap, but their ring and pinion gears are good (bearings, not so much).

Armor Tech is the only other pressed in ring gear, and they're $$$.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'd try to reuse those gears if the teeth aren't missing/completely ruined.  Maybe file down the harsh spots.

Reason being good gear sets are hard as ! to find now.  I've been watching for a set of Caltric gears for awhile now and they've been out of stock forever.  Caltric usually sells crap, but their ring and pinion gears are good (bearings, not so much).

Armor Tech is the only other pressed in ring gear, and they're $$$.

already one step ahead of ya, will do what you say, file/grind down the rough spots on ring gear and pinion gear, i'm gonna re-use it. i will replace all bearings and seals though with new, after market. this guy is about 75-80 yrs old ?, has a farm near here, i doubt he'll be jumping his cows with it ?..lol. i'll do my very best to make it look good, run good, and stop. i already told him this was a budget build, he was ok with this. his main concern was, he wanted it to be 4x4. so i got this from cat fish, gonna sell it to this guy no more than 2k, and he said this was very fair.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bcsman said:

Frame looks to be in decent shape....

frame is in really good shape !, also, the muffler is all there !..lol mufflers on 300's are one part that always rust out along the bottom.

• Like 1

i went to my buds place this morning ( cat fish ) , picked up some '' replacement '' parts, i am pretty sure i can get this rear end all back together, and it drive ?..lol. nothing will be new on the rear diff cept bearings and seals, and even those are after market, this is a budget build, and we are trying to get the dollar spending down as low as we can, and still have a dependable trx300fw. i did buy a brand new oem c.d.i. for this, out of my own pocket, cat fish wanted a china one, i said heck no..i'm not putting a china c.d.i. on this. i will keep updating as i go. prob be slow on pic's ?, but ya'll will live !..lol.

• Like 4

i got the rear diff case halves cleaned up, rear axle cleaned up, here is some b4 and after pics of the diff case halves. now i wait on the bearings and seals.

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

• Like 3

did anyone notice the red c.d.i. box in my first post pic ?, i pulled that off another trx300 that was out at cat fishes place, it has a sticker on the side of it, it say's '' made in Argentina '' . i know we have had a few talks about some of the trx300's came from the factory with red c.d.i.'s in the past, and some claim that these are factory oem c.d.i,'s, and of course, i always said no, they are china made, so my question is, sense when does honda use parts from Argentina ????..lol. 

• Like 1

Either a Rick's Motorsports or a imitation Rick's  , Argentina is where Rick's come from ! 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Either a Rick's Motorsports or a imitation Rick's  , Argentina is where Rick's come from ! 

yep, after our phone call just now, thank you for the info !.

• Like 5

I have an aftermarket rear gear set I installed in my rear end. I’ve had ZERO issues so far… been a few years. Wasn’t too expensive either.. that beast looks like it needs a lot of love??!! Want me to mail u an air filter? LOL.. that one looks rough hahaha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I have an aftermarket rear gear set I installed in my rear end. I’ve had ZERO issues so far… been a few years. Wasn’t too expensive either.. that beast looks like it needs a lot of love??!! Want me to mail u an air filter? LOL.. that one looks rough hahaha 

lol. i've got an oem outer filter, thank you anyway !. yes, it needs my love, i'll fix her up, this is a budget build, nothing too fancy like one i would fix up to sell.

• Like 1

removed the carb, it's nasty !!. here is a few pics, try not to puke !..lol.

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

• Like 3

mail man just ran, santa sent me the new oem c.d.i. and rubber holder, i'll update later with the results if this is gonna run as is ?.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I have OEM carb if you want it

thanks, but i can clean this one up, i've got a shindy kit ready for it. right now, i am not getting spark on plug, either stator is toast ?, or the reg/rec is toast ?. gonna test ( ohm out ) the stator, see what i get ?.

• Like 1

kk anything I can do to help lmk... (if you need it, I'm always here...)

well, good news !. i did get fire on plug, i made a trip to cat fishes bone yard, grabbed a couple wire harness, both had the switch housing on them. grabbed a spark plug coil, and a reg/rec. changed out the reg/rec, changed out the switch on bars, changed out the spark plug coil, by hand, i seen spark !. shot some starting fluid straight into the head, spark plug in, a quick kick, she lives !!. now to narrow it down as to which of these parts were the bad part ?. as i changed 3 parts, i will go back , and swap each one back in as is, and see which one changes back to no spark ?. my money say's it was the reg/rec. i'll post results before long.

• Like 4

it was the bar switch !. here is the carb all cleaned up, few pic's.

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

• Like 7

Here is a wild stab at a theory for you , that VE91BA carb is really a 95 carb not a 91 , I believe the fuel enrichment plunger for a 95 was the long version where the 91 should have been the short version  , someone along the way changed the carb and then changed the kill  switch assembly to make the plunger work as the short plunger used a different cable and kill switch assembly , and when they did the kill switch didn't work 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I have OEM carb if you want it

hang on to it..... after i get a few things sorted here, i might take it off your hands. oem parts for the 300 are becoming very hard to find, which i find strange, because it was the best honda atv ever built..... i still have a few friends who have them 10  that i recall right off hand, mike has one, i have two, LJ has 2, brad has one, Richard has one, twink has one, beaver has one, and johnathan has one.... and one guy just around the road has one, he's just a neighbor.... so that's 11

• Like 1