11 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Here is a wild stab at a theory for you , that VE91BA carb is really a 95 carb not a 91 , I believe the fuel enrichment plunger for a 95 was the long version where the 91 should have been the short version  , someone along the way changed the carb and then changed the kill  switch assembly to make the plunger work as the short plunger used a different cable and kill switch assembly , and when they did the kill switch didn't work 

makes perfect sense !. the carb kit i put in it is for a 88-90 ( i already had it here ), if it runs like crap ?, i'll break down and buy a 95 shindy kit. the switch i used on it came off a 1990 trx300, so that would explain why the switch did work. its nice to have two brains here again !!..lol. i have a feeling i will need to change out the choke cable and enrichment valve...sigh..lol.

• Like 4

i got the rear diff back together, bolted it up on the swing arm, then the center tube, had to stop, i don't have the bearings and seal for the backing plate for rear brake, time to hit catfish up again, man, i'm racking up miles going back and forth to his place these last few days ?..aghhhh...lol. spun the pinion gear, does spin pretty good, has a tad noise to it ?, i knew it would going by the teeth on the set, i hope it will get better when i get gear oil in it ?, just glad he wont be trying to go cross country on this !..lol.

• Like 4

That rear diff still looks better than Scar's when I got her. Whole thing was pure metal shavings form the teeth grinding against each other from no oil in there. 
Was a silver paste basically. 

but ya... PO did not treat Scar well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

that's where that magnetic check / fill plug will do her job, 😉

i hate to break it to ya ?, but if the teeth decide to go ?, a magnetic fill cap/plug is NOT going to save the ring gear and pinion gear !, by the time you discover it picked up some teeth ?, the rear end is toast !.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

i hate to break it to ya ?, but if the teeth decide to go ?, a magnetic fill cap/plug is NOT going to save the ring gear and pinion gear !, by the time you discover it picked up some teeth ?, the rear end is toast !.

Yep, agree. Ment to help catch normal wear fragments, not to replace you having teeth on your gears 😛

Thats what happens when you (the PO) runs it without more than like.... 3oz of oil in the diff. 

I was just younger, a novice to ATV's and my dad really didnt teach me ! about mechanics, so i bought it without checking the diffs, I just make sure it started, had oil, and drove around (shifted properly. 

The only thing propelling Scar at that point was the front diff. That rear rebuild was a pain... 

• Haha 1

call it preventative maintenance.....I'd rather have it, then not...lol,  nope it will not cure one, or pull out teeth, when that much damage is done... the lady is just about get tuned up.....  to sing that song.... lol! 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

call it preventative maintenance.....I'd rather have it, then not...lol,  nope it will not cure one, or pull out teeth, when that much damage is done... the lady is just about get tuned up.....  to sing that song.... lol! 

haha..yeppers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Orvis25 said:

Yep, agree. Ment to help catch normal wear fragments, not to replace you having teeth on your gears 😛

Thats what happens when you (the PO) runs it without more than like.... 3oz of oil in the diff. 

I was just younger, a novice to ATV's and my dad really didnt teach me ! about mechanics, so i bought it without checking the diffs, I just make sure it started, had oil, and drove around (shifted properly. 

The only thing propelling Scar at that point was the front diff. That rear rebuild was a pain... 

i've rebuilt a lot of rear ends on atvs..you are correct, some of them are a royal PITA !..LOL

• Like 1

got the rear end done for now, rear wheels on so i can roll it. drained the engine oil, looks like muddy miss water ?..lol. oil filter is gross !. will pull the engine later today or tonight ?. here's some pic's to keep ya'll interest :-). p.s. all signs of water in engine !.

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Yuck !!! 

no kidding !!..lol.

wow! you know in chat the other night, we talking about those oil sump screens,  i wonder what the screen in that engine looks like ??

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

wow! you know in chat the other night, we talking about those oil sump screens,  i wonder what the screen in that engine looks like ??

no idea.?, not gonna pull the cover to find out, i do not have a gasket for there, so i will leave it alone.

• Like 1

I know you’re not there yet Shadetree, but do you need a battery hold down bracket?
i got an extra i can send ya. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shadetree said:

no idea.?, not gonna pull the cover to find out, i do not have a gasket for there, so i will leave it alone.

Come on now , where's that guy that always says you got to " Split'em " , when they are full of crap !!!! --- LOL 

• Haha 1

oh it's about time for popcorn...... I'm sure tuned in, and Bcs, you and i were un happy when live pd was taken off the air ? this might be much better, eh ? shade, i had to set you up... 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

oh it's about time for popcorn...... I'm sure tuned in, and Bcs, you and i were un happy when live pd was taken off the air ? this might be much better, eh ? shade, i had to set you up... 

Wilson , your not insinuating that  I poked the pile !!! 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Goober said:

I know you’re not there yet Shadetree, but do you need a battery hold down bracket?
i got an extra i can send ya. 

thanks, but i know where one is if i need it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Come on now , where's that guy that always says you got to " Split'em " , when they are full of crap !!!! --- LOL 

if the engine needed work ?, then i would, but this engine runs very well, no need to open a can of worms, spec when this is a budget build, remember, cost is kept down. i wont split an engine unless it needs work.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shadetree said:

if the engine needed work ?, then i would, but this engine runs very well, no need to open a can of worms, spec when this is a budget build, remember, cost is kept down. i wont split an engine unless it needs work.

A old school atv guy ( pretty smart guy at that ) once ( actually more than once )  drilled  me hard , " when the case is dirty , it's not if the engine needs work now , it's just a matter of time till it will " ----- was just enquiring  for that ant pile poking  inquisitive friend of mine !!! --- lol 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

A old school atv guy ( pretty smart guy at that ) once ( actually more than once )  drilled  me hard , " when the case is dirty , it's not if the engine needs work now , it's just a matter of time till it will " ----- was just enquiring  for that ant pile poking  inquisitive friend of mine !!! --- lol 

well, you tell you're '' friend ''..if he wants to pull this engine all apart, fork out the cash for new gaskets and seals ?, i'll be more than happy to do it !..rofl.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

update: well, been a few sense i updated this thread, figured i get back on this , now that i have a 2004 trx450fm waiting on my love..lol. i was out in the shop sunday from 10:00 pm until 4:00 am working on front brakes , painting the engine, changing two bad tie rods. i got all the front brakes working great, engine painted, and tie rods replaced with some '' better '' tie rod ends. i'll take some progress pic's here soon this morning when i head out to the shop. i did pick up some '' better '' tires for this yesterday from catfishes place, while i was shopping for some parts for my 2004 trx450fm project. i'll get the rims broke down '' better '' tires mounted on the rims today, i just hope they do not leak air ?..lol. i don't mind doing the work, but if they leak air ?, its useless to me. anyway, more info to come on this project, got a ton of little stuff to get done to it. gonna get the wire harness installed back on the frame here this morning, then start adding smaller parts back on as i go. will update this thread soon with more pics !.

• Like 4

update: as promised , here is some progress pics, sigh...its kicking my butt !..lol. still have not started swapping tires yet. keep in mind, this is a budget build !!..lol.

IMG_1699.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

• Like 4