update: got the muffler back on, oil added, fuel to carb, couple sec's, she fired right over. got the rims all painted today, '' newer '' tires all mounted back on rims. shift lever on, foot rest on, all painted. now i work on body parts, front fender, rear fender, fuel tank, racks..sigh..lot more work ahead of me. i hope to have it finished before the weekend is over ?, just so much little stuff goes into this restore process. i'll get some pics posted tomorrow sometime, just came in, been working on this sense 3:00am , its now 1:33am weds morning, i'm beat.

• Like 3

update: well, yesterday turned out to be a bust !. guy came over, looked at it, was very impressed with its looks, loved it !. went to start it, it would not start ?!..aghhh !. pulled plug, it was flooded, dried it, put it back in, still would not start, dangit !. after he left, i finally discovered the starter has a dead spot in it. well, time for another starter. after i got it going, noticed the idle was off ?, hmm..posb the carb kit i used back then wont work, it was only for 1988-1990...this is a 1991...grrr..ordered the correct shindy carb kit last night. seems honda only uses a carb kit with certain yrs, '91-'92, '90 will not work in a '91..jet sizes change. i knew this going in, but i had this new kit, decided to give it a shot, NOPE..WILL NOT WORK !. runs too rich. moving along, after i got it running, put it in gear, noticed very fast it would jerk the handle bars big time ?!. come to find out, the front left rim is bent big time, you know, one of those rims that i just broke down to change out for better tires ?!!..aghhh !.

So now i got to fix the starter, fix the front left bent rim ( means breaking back down, swapping unto another rim ), change out the carb jets when i get the CORRECT carb kit. had to make another shopping trip to catfish's place yesterday for a better front fender, the one that was on it is just to broken up to mount correctly, grabbed another fender, better shape, may work on that today ?, i'm just getting burned out working on a project with messed up parts, parts not right, list goes on an on. i'll suffer through it, move on, and get it right, say a prayer for my old butt !!..rofl. sorry for no pic's outlaws, my day was filled to the brim, and i was in no shape after yesterday to take any pics, was kinda bummed out, tired, just was not a good day for me. i did tell him when he looked at it yesterday, '' you need to go to honda ..and pick up a battery '' he said he'll be back monday with it, we'll see ?..lol. soo...i move on, keep trucking...i'll get there outlaws !.

• Like 4

Some days everything goes right, some days you work for hours and accomplish nothing.  The latter will wear you out quick.

• Like 1

Don't think you mentioned the starter problem last night, you are so very fortunate to have a place like Catfish to get parts, not many have this luxury.  I know he doesn't give them away but for most we have to hit Ebay or some other source and hope the pictures of the item are accurate. 

update; went to catfish's place this morning, grabbed another starter, and another rim, headed out to get this mounted back on the tire, hopefully ???, i'll get some pic's today !.

• Like 2

Floorboards and a piece of aluminum angle iron and you don't need the heel guards 

IMG_5109.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Floorboards and a piece of aluminum angle iron and you don't need the heel guards 

IMG_5109.JPG

he's never rode an atv, and to old for floor boards to work the levers.

update: got the heel guards made and bolted on, got the front inner splash guards drilled and tapped out where they mount to the bottom of frame, soon to get the front fender bolted on, need to work on the headlights , just need to get them cleaned up, hopefully i have some good bulbs ?. still need to paint the front and rear racks, check for fit and all that. i am waiting on the correct carb kit, then i can put the carb back in, fuel tank back on, give her a test run. i see light at the end of the tunnel finally !. still waiting on him to bring a honda battery, he better not bring me some cheepo from wally world ?!..lol. i told him to use nothing but honda batteries. YES fish, i know we use those duracell's in ours ?, but he's not gonna spend that kinda money !!..lol. i'll get some pic's after while posted on my progress, i hope anyway ?..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

update: last update for today. got the rear rack painted, installed, now i wait for battery and carb kit.

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

• Like 2

Looks great.  What did you make the heel guards out of? 

I also note the old style rear flares and new style fronts.  Is that just what was available at Catfish's place, or did the owner have it like that?

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks great.  What did you make the heel guards out of? 

I also note the old style rear flares and new style fronts.  Is that just what was available at Catfish's place, or did the owner have it like that?

i had to swap fenders out, and the new style flares were already attached on the fender, so went with it. the fender that was on it was too far gone to use. as for the flares ?, i used an old plastic battery box, cut the sides out, cut to fit, pipe hanger strap i used to look like the brackets that come on them from the factory. and thank you for the nice words !.

• Like 1

update: well, this story just keeps getting better as i go !. where to begin ?, hmm. decided to roll the 300 out, roll the 450 in to start stripping it down to bare frame. got that all done, motor out, laid on floor, pushed that back out, back over in the resting place, rolled th 300 back in just inside the doors on the floor, started sitting the 450 motor on my lift, looked back over at the 300 front left rim, and wouldn't ya know it, tire was still leaning in at the top ?!..wth !. well, today, i ripped it all back apart, a couple things stood out at me, one, the lower eye on the shock was bent big time !. and two, the a-arms were bent out of shape, all of this was making the tire lean in at the top, i could not have this !. 3 trips to catfishes place, two different a-arms, ( found out first gen a-arms on 4x4 300's are all not the same width to attach the to the frame ! ), i never knew this, and reason is, ive never had to replace any on a trx300fw ?..needless to say, someone wrecked this big time through the yrs !.

So, i finally got a good set of a-arms off a 1990 4x4 , trx300, had to change out the upper and lower ball joints, no biggie. just got all this installed about an hour ago. need to rest my foot/leg, been putting some extra miles on it today, and i'm flat worn out !. not all is lost today on trips to catfish's place today, i found what i think is a bumper for fishfiles 1992 trx300fw ?, pic is included here , along with all my blood, sweat, and tears today.

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

• Like 3

Wow that tire was really leaning, worse then I pictured it...

• Like 1

I don't think that bumper is the correct one , look at the bottom mounting bracket , on my 92 the bracket offsets outwards 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_f1b.jpeg

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't think that bumper is the correct one , look at the bottom mounting bracket , on my 92 the bracket offsets outwards 

image.png

fullsizeoutput_f1b.jpeg

yep, your bumper is like the one i have on this '91 trx300fw.

This 1992 print doesn't look anything like what it really is -----   Does your '91 have the skid plate # 2 underneath  

image.png

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

This 1992 print doesn't look anything like what it really is -----   Does your '91 have the skid plate # 2 underneath  

image.png

yes. i have not installed it yet though.

11 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

You need to sweep out your shop, it's unsightly.

Let me know when you are done with that assigned chore.

it's messy, cuz i work in there...what's yer excuse ??..lol.

18 hours ago, shadetree said:

it's messy, cuz i work in there...what's yer excuse ??..lol.

Ha, he hasn't looked at the old pics of my shop I posted......ROFL

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ha, he hasn't looked at the old pics of my shop I posted......ROFL

that barrel boy doesn't even own a shop that i know of ?, and he's never working on anything, why in the world is he worried about our messy shops ???..ROFL. i've been in yer shop, looks just like catfishes...NO PLACE TO STEP WITHOUT BREAKING A LEG !..