Orvis25

Trx300FW - How to make magnetic oil fill caps

Hey guys! 

After asking around on how to add magnets to the diffs to catch metal fragments in the oil, @_Wilson_™ shared his take on how he added magnets to the filler caps. I decided to do a similar method and make a tutorial about it.

Here it goes!
How to make magnetic differential oil fill caps for your TRX300FW. 

The purpose of the mod is, as your differential gears wear down, instead of letting the metal fragments float about, it will allow them to be captured by the magnet.

This removes them from the oil, and prevents accelerated wear from the fragments being washed into your gears and bearings. 

Parts: 
Magnets
epoxy (non-magnetic)
epoxy (magnetic (optional))
gear oil resistant gasket maker (Honda bond or Permatex RTV green)

Degreaser

Here is my video explaining how I made mine:

Hope it helps you all out!

I was researching this topic, and only saw limited discussion (mostly hear say) on doing this. So i bit the bullet, made one, tested it, and here we are🙂 

If it helped make sure to drop a thumbs up on the video or heart the post (or both)!

Note:
I accept no responsibility if you damage your stuff (or self) trying to replicate (or use) this mod. Do it at your own risk. 

20210714_152157.jpg

20210714_211652.jpg

Edited by Orvis25
  • Like 1

perfect! IMO i can't add anything more then what i posted on the other thread. flush mounted, gripped on all sides, and most of all, no one else besides you, and myself have made these, and they work! thinking outside the lines does indeed pay off! my problem here is some of the videos and pics don't work on my old ipad, but it's not just yours.... it happens with randomly, i can't post videos, but pics no problem, but by all means your more then welcome to to snagg my pics and add them here if you like I wouldn't mind at all! 

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

perfect! IMO i can't add anything more then what i posted on the other thread. flush mounted, gripped on all sides, and most of all, no one else besides you, and myself have made these, and they work! thinking outside the lines does indeed pay off! my problem here is some of the videos and pics don't work on my old ipad, but it's not just yours.... it happens with randomly, i can't post videos, but pics no problem, but by all means your more then welcome to to snagg my pics and add them here if you like I wouldn't mind at all! 

Here ya go bud. 

Pictures are @_Wilson_™

Engine magnetic drain plug:

image.thumb.jpg.7934eac374e4ba4c74d0a20c4ff157db.jpg

Diff oil fill caps:

image.thumb.jpg.72955c8302e19513be8459aea0e28b01.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.c10d7dd8dc6b4874966e789761a26efe.jpg

Edited by Orvis25
  • Thanks 1