21cjoggerst

Switching engines between foreman’s

2 hours ago, 21cjoggerst said:

I was wondering if an engine from a 2004 Honda foreman es would work on a 2002 Honda foreman es?

I would say yes , 2002 - 2004 are the same and ES are the same 

agreed with fish, yes, they will swap over. if they are the same cc's ?..like 450 , or 500 ?, you can't use a 450 engine on a 500, wire harness will be different.

Ok well I heard on some other forums that on the earlier foreman’s they had a speed sensor but the newer ones didn’t have that.

2002 isn't the earlier model of 450's 98-01 was that, so you should be good....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 21cjoggerst said:

Ok well I heard on some other forums that on the earlier foreman’s they had a speed sensor but the newer ones didn’t have that.

'02-'04  does have speed sensors on the manual shifts for sure. pretty sure the earlier versions had them as well ?, but don't quote me on this !..i am not sure on es models, fish could tell you. my memory has gotten bad, but i do not think the '02-'-04 manual shifts have the gear position on display ?, but i do know they have the mph on there, my '03 trx450fm is this way.

• Like 2

And by the way welcome to our forum, your problem was listening to anything from "some other forum"....lol

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 21cjoggerst said:

I was wondering if an engine from a 2004 Honda foreman es would work on a 2002 Honda foreman es?

Welcome aboard.

Assuming your terminology is correct, and they are both TRX450es’s then yes, they are the same.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum!

I actually just put a rebuilt 2004 450 ES motor into a 2002 450 ES last month

ES models are exactly the same from 2002-2004 

Edited by AKATV

6 hours ago, shadetree said:

'02-'04  does have speed sensors on the manual shifts for sure. pretty sure the earlier versions had them as well ?, but don't quote me on this !..i am not sure on es models, fish could tell you. my memory has gotten bad, but i do not think the '02-'-04 manual shifts have the gear position on display ?, but i do know they have the mph on there, my '03 trx450fm is this way.

On the 98-2001 ES and FM  engines they have the speed sensor on the rear engine cover , the 2002-2004 ES and FM the speed sensors are at the front diff and used for the electric shift 4wd to prevent it from being engage while moving too fast 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 1:44 AM, Fishfiles said:

On the 98-2001 ES and FM  engines they have the speed sensor on the rear engine cover , the 2002-2004 ES and FM the speed sensors are at the front diff and used for the electric shift 4wd to prevent it from being engage while moving too fast 

you are correct !.

• Like 1

welcome to the group! You've come to the forum with the most knowledgeable misfits on the 'net.

27 minutes ago, 87Iroc said:

welcome to the group! You've come to the forum with the most knowledgeable misfits on the 'net.

you are right...you are here huh ?!..lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

you are right...you are here huh ?!..lol.

I'm far from knowledgeable.

1 hour ago, 87Iroc said:

I'm far from knowledgeable.

i wont argue that statement !..lol.