Jaredmacneill

Hi I’m Jared

Hey I’m Jared I am currently trying to get my 86 trx 350cc 4x4 rebuilt . I found a engine but the owner told me two different years first was 89 now he’s saying 86 . He owns a local shop and wants $400 cad for the engine but I’d like to know how to tell if it’s a 86 or 89 . Thanks in advance 

8D2F2A53-3A52-4F79-AEA3-00B22D60845D.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Jared. Welcome to the site! There are some really smart gear heads that know the 350 very well!  U came to the rite place!

Where in Canada are u from? I’m in Alberta.

Cheers!

Edited by Wheeler

2 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Hey Jared. Welcome to the site! There are some really smart gear heads that know the 350 very well!  U came to the rite place!

Where in Canada are u from? I’m in Alberta.

Cheers!

I’m in pei im sure if there was descently priced one there probably be a way to ship lol

• Like 1

Welcome aboard.

I know the 86's I've had have had an extra vent on the crankcase that was deleted on later models. 

But I think that change actually occurred sometime in the 86-87 time frame, so if it's there, it's an early one.  If it's not, who knows.......

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.

I know the 86's I've had have had an extra vent on the crankcase that was deleted on later models. 

But I think that change actually occurred sometime in the 86-87 time frame, so if it's there, it's an early one.  If it's not, who knows.......

Extra vent?

The engine serial number for that model in 1986 started with this number, TE07E-5000001.

The 1989 model year engine serial number started with this number,TE07E-8300001.

Welcome to the site!!

• Like 3

Welcome to the site Jared , the serial number off the engine will tell you what year it is 

• Like 3

Just now, THH said:

The engine serial number for that model in 1986 started with this number, TE07E-5000001.

The 1989 model year engine serial number started with this number,TE07E-8300001.

Welcome to the site!!

You beat me but a ping , LOL 

• Like 1

I bet Shade knows some way to distinguish the year , I think if it is an AC stator it's 86 after that they were DC stators 

14 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the site Jared , the serial number off the engine will tell you what year it is 

15 minutes ago, THH said:

Welcome to the site!!

Thanks I’ll Check tomorrow when the shop is open 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaredmacneill said:

Hey I’m Jared I am currently trying to get my 86 trx 350cc 4x4 rebuilt . I found a engine but the owner told me two different years first was 89 now he’s saying 86 . He owns a local shop and wants $400 cad for the engine but I’d like to know how to tell if it’s a 86 or 89 . Thanks in advance 

8D2F2A53-3A52-4F79-AEA3-00B22D60845D.jpeg

looking at this engine, it looks like an 1986, no later than 1987. these yrs had the crank case breather box ( black box ) attached to the crank case, just like it is in this pic.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, shadetree said:

looking at this engine, it looks like an 1986, no later than 1987. these yrs had the crank case breather box ( black box ) attached to the crank case, just like it is in this pic.

and welcome to the site !.

and welcome to the site !.

Thanks . That actually scares me be my 86 is missing the air filter and I didn’t even knew one went there so driving it in the mud makes me think oh no 

3 minutes ago, Jaredmacneill said:

Thanks . That actually scares me be my 86 is missing the air filter and I didn’t even knew one went there so driving it in the mud makes me think oh no 

air filter sits on top, right above the rocker box. you will need all of those parts to make it run right. you can go to partzilla, look up  1986 HONDA TRX350 FOURTRAX, and it will break it all down on what parts you need. be warned !, parts for these are mostly discontinued from honda today !. the big problem you face ?, is honda no longer sells the c.d.i.'s for these models..not even after market ricks brand sells them. so, it will be nothing but used all the way, and you must have a 1986 c.d.i. !, later years will not work for this year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shadetree said:

mines an 86, and it has that crankcase breather box. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, _Wilson_™ said:

mines an 86, and it has that crankcase breather box. 

'86 deff had the box.

• Like 1

So I am not a 350D guy , but think you can't swop a 86 with a 87 up , the stator and wiring harness are different for one 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, shadetree said:

air filter sits on top, right above the rocker box. you will need all of those parts to make it run right. you can go to partzilla, look up  1986 HONDA TRX350 FOURTRAX, and it will break it all down on what parts you need. be warned !, parts for these are mostly discontinued from honda today !. the big problem you face ?, is honda no longer sells the c.d.i.'s for these models..not even after market ricks brand sells them. so, it will be nothing but used all the way, and you must have a 1986 c.d.i. !, later years will not work for this year.

Well mine all worked until it jumped it’s timing and bent the valves and threw the piston through the head cracking the head. 

86-87 350 Foretrax are same (350A)

87 350D is another (one year only)

88-up 350D is yet another 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Jaredmacneill said:

Here’s my old girl 

AEC30E8A-EFA3-4487-91E0-75C951A07D22.jpeg

CF957455-BA1C-4D24-BCD2-67D61FB49C1D.jpeg

BD7C5067-9D5B-4682-897D-3EE0A12113D9.jpeg

02AA4F3A-06C2-45A7-9D56-57923C49917F.jpeg

E5C43A22-89FC-4FFA-BDEA-AD8E1433F6EA.jpeg

E2F78013-4EFE-4855-9C2E-DC91F18AB73A.jpeg

33AEC078-0CC4-4526-B7B4-CABB25546050.jpeg

looks like you have it lifted ?.

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

Someone down line might have . I know it’s fun

5 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: Big Welcome Here

Thanks . I’m amazed on how lively this place is and I really like the layout of the page

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shadetree said:

Say it isn't so !!!!   Lifted  !!!!  WOW !!! ---   LOL 

• Haha 1