Misterclean

Custom battery charger warning!

I just thought of a weak point in the design of my custom battery charger harness. It hit me when considering  putting a slow charge on a dead lawn and garden battery. I realized before hooking it up that I would burn wires in the harness.........why you ask? The wiring harness will act as a jumper cable too..........you have all the amps of all the batteries sitting there in a huge reservoir that will dump down the harness to the dead battery. That 16 gauge wire and "roach clip" sized clips will fry. So, please add batteries that are already charged to the point where the the gauge of your wire can handle what charge may be introduced to the system. Was this clear?

• Like 2

So i was reading this. Got to the point of "roach clip" then couldnt focus for the rest of the post. That one made me laugh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess that's one downfall of the system.  Another I wondered about is, if you have a battery that goes bad over time (they don't last forever, even on a tender), and you don't know it, will you have a constant drain on the other batteries while the tender tries to keep up but cannot?

Good advice but I thought you made a maintainer harness to maintain known good batteries. To use it to revive a battery all the other batteries would be unhooked from the system. That was my understanding anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toodeep said:

Good advice but I thought you made a maintainer harness to maintain known good batteries. To use it to revive a battery all the other batteries would be unhooked from the system. That was my understanding anyway.

You are correct but at my shop ( my profession)  I had a battery that that went down and my charger at my shop is a smart charger and it will not charge a dead battery because it thinks its a bad battery. Wanting to bring it back with a non smart charger I considered my battery tender set up and then I caught the error about to happen.

• Like 1