WonderMonkey

Felt A Nearby Lightening Strike

49 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

one sec equals one mile, lightening travels at the speed light does 186,000 miles per second.

While I was twitching in the lake, like a dolphin doing a trick at Sea World, I should have thought to start counting to see how far away it was.

• Haha 1

Lightning travels at the speed of light but the thunder noise travels at the speed of sound, hence the 5 seconds.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

While I was twitching in the lake, like a dolphin doing a trick at Sea World, I should have thought to start counting to see how far away it was.

twitching eh, i was too, when i got hit, lol! i know from the flash and sound of the clap of thunder the strike was approximately a mile away, (one second away) I'm friends with the guy who owns the house that was struck that night. funny / and sadly, he's gotten to be like herald.... you won't see him if a thunderstorm is close..... (sigh) but now herald had some crooked dealings (he told me about) in his younger days, and had mentioned, maybe the MAN upstairs was sending him a sign.... lol! i reckon that's why I've had so many close calls, but who knows.... lol! 

• Like 2

On July 20, 2021 at 4:47 PM, Fishfiles said:

Twice I got hit  at the boat launch , the worst time I had just walked out the water from cranking up the boat  , I was barefoot and  feet were wet , had blisters on the bottoms of my feet for a month 

i didn't experience that, sounds like you were very close, only thing for me was, my right leg didnt feel right for a few days. 

On July 22, 2021 at 4:31 PM, Fishfiles said:

I know a guy named George , he is a shrimper , 30 years ago he  had a Harry Clan which is a type of fiberglass fishing boating in  the 30 ft class , lightning hit his VHF radio antenna which was made of fiberglass and it blow up and splintered , throw pieces of pieces of fiberglass all over him and some went thru the skin , plus he got burnt a bit , all his hair got singed , the boat was saved and renamed , "  Greased Lightning   "  

my father, and uncle had seen trees that had been hit by horizontal strikes, which had been nothing left but a stump of tooth picks.... they say that the worst type to be struck by (forked) boat hit, i gather he lost his radio, and coax, and covered with fiber glass ? wow that's a rough one, but sounds like he's got a great attitude renaming the boat greased lightening. 

• Like 1

I have had a few strikes really close to the boat , once it hit a tree right on side the bayou as we were running by , smoked that tree , the wife was with me that time ---  seen lightning hit a crane boom , smoked the grease on the cables ---- had a friend name David Walker , he was a iron worker , he was touching the load  cable and the crane swang into a power line , never forget , it was a closed casket funeral 

I just seen a video last week of a guy that was playing golf , he hit the ball and lightning stuck the ball  in the air and exploded it , it is on facebook 

• Thanks 1

i couldn't  view that one, but is it the ball that was hit, then struck by lightening.... at top golf, in Texas ? 

42 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i couldn't  view that one, but is it the ball that was hit, then struck by lightening.... at top golf, in Texas ? 

yep the guy hits the ball , it travels about 30 feet and gets hit mid flight 

• Thanks 1

okay same one, yeah..... that was wicked, i think quiet a few golf players have been hit.... over the years. heck! for such a pleasant sport, it's strange.... i would imagine ... more people have been hit on the open  water then any place ? i recall when we were kids  we used to go swimming park and soon as a storm rolled in, (OUT OF THE POOL) I've always been fascinated by weather, tornadoes, lightening (tropical storms like yaw have)  ect ect, even had my truck blown sideways /beat up by hail stones / nado during storm spotting (many years ago) .. i was even a amature storm spotter..... for a few years....but i have yet to see the mysterious ball lightening (ball of fire) but my pop, and uncle both saw that strange event happen, if i could see that happen, i might just end up like herald, lol! GONE till the storm is over with.......lol! 

• Like 1

I got What on Earth on TV playing in the back round , and they just said , lightning hits the Earth 100 times every second and a lightning bolt can be 5 times hotter  than the surface of the Sun 

• Like 1

There are negative and positive charged lightning bolts,  positive charged lightning is more powerful , up to 1 billion volts and will jump away from the thunder cell 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 9:42 PM, LedFTed said:

i told this in a previous previous forum, 😉 , my mom bought a modular home. one side was not grounded to the other. Lightning struck near the house, and the propane line was the was looking for a ground, the side of the modular that wasnt grounded. a hole when the copper from propane line arched to the frame, got a hole in it from the spark, caught the insulation on fire in the basement. i was in the basement. my first reflex was to duck,..

lucky, extra two liters of cokes, (soft drinks) were down there, an i removed the tops, squeezed them real hard, an put the fire out, till it started again. then i ran through a heave rain, shut down the propane tank gas valve, ran back to the house, an used some more sodas. fire went out this time. 20 sodas, 2 liters.

i didnt get my shoes an socks wet., in the run to the tank an back. any other time i would have. still a mystery to me.

i made grounds after that, to the modular.. including hooking up the ones that were left out during installation. i got picts, an will try to post.

usually, by the time you get hit by a bullet, its to late to hear the sound. IMO

sound dont.

DSCN2569.JPG

DSCN2570.JPG

in the 1st picture the coiled copper wire was never hooked up, now it attaches both sides. it now is an has a red wire that goes to ground. the 2nd picture has two red wires to ground, an ya can see how close the propane line is to the metal frame., near touching it..  thats the copper propane line, after i replaced it.. so,,, make sure your double-wide is properly grounded, apparently, some that set it up, dont know what the heck/ell they are doing. setting up for natural gas, when ya use propane, is for another discussion..

Edited by LedFTed

1 hour ago, LedFTed said:

the negative jumps up from the earth to the cloud?

from what I gathered , the ones that appear to go from Earth up to the clouds are called crawlers , wether they are positive or negative they didn't mention ,  they just mentioned that the ones that extend from the bad weather cell out into clear skies are positives 

• Like 1

i believe that's correct from the ground up, fish back in the day of land lines ..... did you ever hear your phone ring during a thunderstorm  ? manys a time growing up, i heard ours  ring maybe once every so often during a thunderstorm.... just as soon as a flash of lightening appeared.... i remember that clear as a bell, and my older sister would get upset because she couldn't talk to her friends during a storm.... lol! and my friend moser had a new johndeere spray rig a few years back, and had rushed to get some crops sprayed, and over night one of the booms had leeked down, and was effectively grounded..... and was struck, and the power of the bolt had blown out one of the the tires, and screwed up the on board computer tracking system (GPS) so, i gather you've stopped some jobs you've been on, because of the chance of being struck working, here even power crews won't work on the storm damaged lines.... till the storms have passed. 

• Like 1

it's also been discovered lightening helps the ozone layer, so you might say a few of us lucky ones to get struck have helped the ozone layer.... lol! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

The science of lightning is called fulminology, and the fear of lightning is called astraphobia.

astraphobia. , wow  , what a term , could think of a few other funny things would fit that 

• Like 1

yeah some of those words.... i might be familure with as well.....in a way they fit many bad / strange / shocking events .... lol! 

• Haha 2

astraphobia. , seems like it could be the fear of being abducted by aliens and  given an as'tro-probing 

• Like 1

man I'm still waiting for mine to kick in..... maybe it was the power to attrack more close calls ..... lol! 

• Haha 2