WonderMonkey

Selling My Guitars, Getting Drums

Due to my hand situation, I can't play guitar.  Well, I can play but practicing how I like to and spending the times on songs is painful.  I've come to realize how much I miss playing music so I'm researching drum kits.  Today I purchased a practice pad and a set of sticks and will begin going through the process of getting used to the daily drills that a good drummer does.  If I'm still pushing forward in a month or so I'll buy a kit.  Also, I'm selling most of my guitars first.  I'm selling them because if I buy the drum kit, my guitars will sit down there in some hope of a miracle that I can play again.  And I'm sure that doesn't warrant a miracle!

Any drummers here?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

i wish i could play on the strings, tried it a couple times on one my pop had, just jdidnt fit me (my thinking then) i don't think my fingers are nimble enough now .... who knows... anyways.... i hope you get a good price, heck! hopefully someone here will jump in a purchase a couple, how many are you selling ? I'm sure when we have that atv gathering there will be musicians from here, for music... you know as well everyone here... you have to have mudd, music, good food, and friends. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

i wish i could play on the strings, tried it a couple times on one my pop had, just jdidnt fit me (my thinking then) i don't think my fingers are nimble enough now .... who knows... anyways.... i hope you get a good price, heck! hopefully someone here will jump in a purchase a couple, how many are you selling ? I'm sure when we have that atv gathering there will be musicians from here, for music... you know as well everyone here... you have to have mudd, music, good food, and friends. 

I think I'll sell 5 of them.  I also have a rack that will fit four, some cases, large music stands, etc.  I'll keep one for times when I want to strum around the firepit.  That won't be that painful and I'll retain enough knowledge of the basic chords to have a good time.

• Like 1

Small guitar story.

A bunch of years ago, before the kids got old enough to earn travelling all over playing ball, my brother and I was at my sisters house and was playing around the firepit.  A bunch of new people were at this part so we were playing, telling a story, playing more, making fun of each other, etc.  We also have a little guitar came called "That's good, that's bad" where we would play a bit, launch into the "that's good that's bad" and then play out of it and we would do that until it ran it's course.

As the sun started to go down, and playing and drinking was about to get serious, a lady came up and asked us how much we charged to be there and did we want to come and play her BBQ in two weekends?  What?  We let her know that the host was our sister and we were just messing about and yes, we would come and play her bbq.  We would do that because we thought it would be fun.  So we did, though we did make a formal list of songs and agree upon a version to play against.  We did the bbq and it was fun.  It wasn't as spontaneous as my sisters house and we felt we were forcing things a bit but after several beverages all that went away.

We thought of trying to do that as a side-business, but since he lived in Kentucky and I lived in Ohio, it would be too difficult.  Also our kids were getting older so in reality we would be doing it because we liked to play guitar, entertain, and drink beer.  It would probably get old real quick.

I did emergency sit in on a band here and there if they needed a player and didn't expect much.  I also recorded a song, which a few of you here have heard.

Edited by WonderMonkey
  • Like 6

I just got a free set of drums last summer off a buddy i jam with. Picked at them every day all winter, but havent really touched them much lately. This is last winter...not sure why i was wearing the g/f's house coat, though she did want to film me in it 😮

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

First off...that pic in the GF's robe.... oh never mind... I got nuttin.. (LOL).

and yeah, Monkey...feeling your pain.  my hands, particularly the base of the thumbs are really feeling the arthritis.

my days of 5 nights a week bar gigs are long over and my chops definitely show the lack of hours of play.

I am still holding down the church thing...so 5 songs  a week on guitar or bass is well within pain management, but nowhere near keeping me in good playing shape.

I have midi on my studio computer so I can play along with all my old favorite top 40 songs from the past 50 years, but it's not the same as hangin with your buds in a live band night after night.

good times, but it's ok that its in the past.

Still , I would like, and plan, to keep playing long as I can.

I did just make the change to light gauge on the bass strings and I'll load those up for this weekend and adjust the action accordingly...that'll help.

as for drums...while my son makes it looks easy...he'll also be the first to tell you that Pop can't play!  (grin)

• Like 3

My wife suffers from arthritis.   Her hands have become next to useless if he spends a few hours on the 4wheeler the day before.  It's a horrible debilitating disease. 

• Like 2

Arthur is caused, by to much uric acid in the system. stay alkaline. the acid forms crystals in the joints. Tis said, Planters Peanut oil helps. all i know about that oil is it has vitamin E in it.. if i didnt think it might help, i wouldnt a wrote about it.. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, ATC4ever said:

I just got a free set of drums last summer off a buddy i jam with. Picked at them every day all winter, but havent really touched them much lately. This is last winter...not sure why i was wearing the g/f's house coat, though she did want to film me in it 😮

she got ya at a good moment. robe looks comfy. 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LedFTed said:

Arthur is caused, by to much uric acid in the system. stay alkaline. the acid forms crystals in the joints. Tis said, Planters Peanut oil helps. all i know about that oil is it has vitamin E in it.. if i didnt think it might help, i wouldnt a wrote about it.. 

She can't win.  Passed a kidney stone last December and the Dr. told her she needed to drink more OJ because of the acid.🤔

On 7/28/2021 at 10:18 AM, 56Sierra said:

She can't win.  Passed a kidney stone last December and the Dr. told her she needed to drink more OJ because of the acid.🤔

i aint shur, but some kind of stone, can be busted, with ultra sound. just cant remember, at the moment. i read a lot, just dont take notes. calcium was involved i think., formed the stones..., just a hard stone to pass..

Edited by LedFTed

On 7/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, ATC4ever said:

Anymore videos of you playing?  I just bought a new kit and am enjoying playing it.

TBH I havent touched them much in months. Tho i actually spent about 30 seconds on them yesterday.  Fad mustve worn off 😮 I suppose i could always go make another vid 🤔