NB Floyd

Cooling Fan questions 450 ES

Two fan related questions:

1. when the fan is on and you go through deep water, does the fan switch off automatically when the water hits the temp sensor?  

2. When the fan is on, and you stop / cut off the bike, is it best practice to let the fan continue to run until it cuts off on its own before switching off the key?    ( or is that over kill and just a drain on the battery) 

thank you.  

water will not turn the fan off, fan operates from the oil temp sensor in engine from oil temp. turn the atv off, no need in running battery down if fan is running when you stop.

27 minutes ago, shadetree said:

water will not turn the fan off, fan operates from the oil temp sensor in engine from oil temp. turn the atv off, no need in running battery down if fan is running when you stop.

I think what he might be meaning to say is how quick does the water  cool the engine  oil down and cause the fan to turn off 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I think what he might be meaning to say is how quick does the water  cool the engine  oil down and cause the fan to turn off 

no clue ?, but if the engine is that hot ?, he'll run the risk of cracking the engine cases.

• Like 1

Just wondering if the fan cuts off automatically when it hits high water?  

I have a creek crossing that can be high and I have wondered if I forded it with the fan running, would it damage fan blades or oil cooler.   ( or does the creek water cool the oil temp sensor quickly enough for it to shut off fan )

would it damage fan blades or oil cooler.

the fan ?  most likely not, but having the muddy water going through the fins on the oil cooler over, and over agian.... it might get plugged up with mud / debris over time. 

• Like 1

The fan does run off 12 volts so there is always the possibility of shorting out in high water, not a good thing....

• Like 1

My fans are hooked up on toggle switches , so I can turn them off before   they go under water , but many times I forget to turn them off as the sound system is so loud I can't hear them running any ways , doesn't seem to hurt them taking a dunk and  have never had a after market fan burn up , but most of my fans are automotive fans and not the OEM cheap fans  , I have burned up the Honda fans , but they were old to start with ----- my latest fan controllers which neither have been used yet , are digital display , dual fan automatic control with temperature settable on and off  with toggle over ride , Retro built one and the other is from JEGS , see I have 3 of my atvs that have 2 fans on them  , one fan on the relocated oil coolers and the other on the engine , the relocated fans never get turned off , just the ones on the engine ------ speaking of cooling down quick , when you talk to the guys that are knowledgeable with fans , engine heat and water riding , I have heard them   say that it will  shorten the life of the engine , by the quick cooling of the engine when it hits the water , but I have never seen one crack a engine case or jug before ---- if your really worried about it , then add a toggle so you can control the fan and extend the vent tube off the fan  ---- once I finish my 450 , with the display , I will better be able to see the temperature swings as it will monitor it in real time 

In this part of the country in winter and spring we are pushing ice flows on large water ways on roads, trails and streams -- fan stays on without any problems -- never heard anyone cracking a engine case -- this goes on every year.

• Like 1