450 es, 2000. anybody ever have one of these solenoids go out? i'm trying to get this thing apart, dang the galvanized metal is hard to move. if i can get it apart, i might be able to revive it.

could be the starter relay causing the problem i guess. the battery is charged up though..

Rocky Mountain had 1 for 6 bucks an 1 for 37. under priced an over priced.

2 hours ago, LedFTed said:

450 es, 2000. anybody ever have one of these solenoids go out? i'm trying to get this thing apart, dang the galvanized metal is hard to move. if i can get it apart, i might be able to revive it.

could be the starter relay causing the problem i guess. the battery is charged up though..

don't bother trying to get it apart, they are not made to come apart, save your brain cells, just buy a new solenoid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LedFTed said:

'ted , are you talking starter solenoid ??  -----  Partzilla is $96.45 for the OEM for a 450 , Rocky Mountain is $79.40 for the OEM     ----    what you are seeing is Rocky Mountain list after market solenoid junk for an alternative part for like $11 , that is trash , go with a oem solenoid for a 2007 TRX420 , it will fit right in  and last a lot longer than after market crap 

6 35850-HP5-600 SWITCH ASSY., STARTER MAGNETIC $26.55 $21.77
  • Like 1

durn awful high prices. is 35850-HP5 600 the same thing i need. for $21.77? where?  to me a solenoid is a solenoid., just the best, for the price. aftermarket cost ya more, in the long run..

starter magnetic is not a term i am aware off, for solenoid, yet... is it politically correct? or what?

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

don't bother trying to get it apart, they are not made to come apart, save your brain cells, just buy a new solenoid.

ya know if i can, i will have to try anyway. heavy little unclaimed child., with no father. or a female dog in heat. B or B.

Edited by LedFTed

5 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

starter magnetic

its long time used  .... mechanics wording. is all.... lol, and SOME types,  you can rebuild, (been there done it) but nope, not those. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LedFTed said:

durn awful high prices. is 35850-HP5 600 the same thing i need. for $21.77? where?  to me a solenoid is a solenoid., just the best, for the price. aftermarket cost ya more, in the long run..

starter magnetic is not a term i am aware off, for solenoid, yet... is it politically correct? or what?

That $21.77 price is for an OEM   2007 TX420 , part  35850-HP5-600 solenoid  from Rocky Mountain 

• Like 1

I would buy the OEM part specified for your model; i paid $80 for mine. The older your machine the higher the price right? Until they are no longer available.

solenoid is an electromagnetic switch. It uses a low amp circuit to energize and de-energize a high amp circuit. The starter switch button is used to energize an electromagnetic relay that closes the starter motor circuit—releasing the button kills power to the relay, de-energizing the starter motor circuit. 

they typically cannot be rebuilt. Take it apart after you install the new one and your quad works.

Edited by Goober

The 420 solenoid is identical internally and externally , the only difference is the color of the small wires for the trigger , don't hold me to the colors , but it is like the 450 is red and white and the 420 is like red and yellow , the push in plug is the same and the placement of the wires are the same , it is plug and play , the parts guy at the local Honda dealer taught  me about it  , you can save $60 plus the tax , tax here is 10% on $60 another $6 , $66 saved , you could just about buy 4 for the price of one , I can't  see the right color wire being worth $66   ---  the 420 solenoid  also plugs and plays in  the 300 which the 300 also goes for around $80 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LedFTed said:

have you preformed the shorting of the starter solenoid ? (pic) to confirm it's bad ? you can this one of three ways, shorting is one, the others is with a 12 volt test light, first check the the battery cable going to the starter solenoid (in)....(should have power all the time if not a dead battery, or loose / corroded connection ) . then turn the ignition on, then push the starter button and check (with the test light) the solenoid side (out to the starter) if the light comes on, your solenoid is fine, third is, is listen for the solenoid to click, everytime you hit the starter button with the ignition on, if it checks good then I'd say starter brushes. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

That $21.77 price is for an OEM   2007 TX420 , part  35850-HP5-600 solenoid  from Rocky Mountain 

Thanx, i was looking for that. 😀

• Like 1

7 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

have you preformed the shorting of the starter solenoid ? (pic) to confirm it's bad ? you can this one of three ways, shorting is one, the others is with a 12 volt test light, first check the the battery cable going to the starter solenoid (in)....(should have power all the time if not a dead battery, or loose / corroded connection ) . then turn the ignition on, then push the starter button and check (with the test light) the solenoid side (out to the starter) if the light comes on, your solenoid is fine, third is, is listen for the solenoid to click, everytime you hit the starter button with the ignition on, if it checks good then I'd say starter brushes. 

image.jpg

i havent jumped across the solenoid, yet. it barely clicks, but does make a high pitched sound., not loud, like when ya have a hearing test. i'll test it tomorrow, with a screwdriver. if the battery tender jr. is accurate the battery is charged. it dont do battery amps though. till the other day, it would start the engine.

Edited by LedFTed

I'm not sure i follow..... the battery tender jr doesn't do amps ? if the green light is on the battery is charged, 12 volts, but might not have the amps to crank the engine over, in this case you would need to have the battery load tested, sounds to me like the starter solenoid was making those long high pitched tones, because the battery is weak, or bad, or going bad, and trying  to start it with a weak battery will shorten the starter brush life. 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:06 PM, Fishfiles said:

The 420 solenoid is identical internally and externally , the only difference is the color of the small wires for the trigger , don't hold me to the colors , but it is like the 450 is red and white and the 420 is like red and yellow , the push in plug is the same and the placement of the wires are the same , it is plug and play , the parts guy at the local Honda dealer taught  me about it  , you can save $60 plus the tax , tax here is 10% on $60 another $6 , $66 saved , you could just about buy 4 for the price of one , I can't  see the right color wire being worth $66   ---  the 420 solenoid  also plugs and plays in  the 300 which the 300 also goes for around $80 

ordered the part from Rocky mountain. picked a 2007 TRX420ES. ordered the part at 650PM, it was delivered the next morning before  11:30AM. plugs were different, but wires were same color.while the wires were bare, the green w/th red stripe, touched a hot and clicked right away. i tried it with the old one, you could hear it struggle. however with the key on, the starter button did nothing with the new solenoid. i burnt a fuse, thursday, the 1st red one in the box, not sure when it happened. i did turn on the lights, when i hit brite, they stopped working. still not working, though i replaced the fuse. i forgot to turn off the key till the next day, the battery has been charging 24 hours, battery still not charged, so i unhooked the terminals, to see if that will work. the lights still do not work.

its amazing, you let sumpen sit a couple of 2 years, and things just fall apart. 😃

[probable shoulda  posted in electronics]

Edited by LedFTed