superrman77

Shop Tools And Setup

Well I noticed you guys were talking about welders and battery powered tool in another thread so I figured I would create a post on the subject.  I have never had a great setup to work on my atv's and things until recently.  I have slowly been trying to build up an arsenal of tools.  I'm not a mechanic by any means.  What a lot of you guys can do in an hour or two is gonna take me a day.  I have purchased a few things from Harbor Freight in the past year.  The quality of tools is night and day from what they used to be.  I'm not doing this everyday so it makes no since for me to go out and spend crazy money on tools.  I ended up getting a Vulcan Migmax 215 at a parking lot sale for a steal.  I just used it to install some mesh on my 5x10 trailer gate.  For what little welding I've gotten to do I'm hooked.  I've been using a grinder for cutting and while they have their place I would like to get a saw designed for metal cutting.  I'm leaning toward getting a metal band saw for cutting.  I'm a sucker for older vintage things.  So I don't mind buying old tools.  So what are some of your favorite tools that you have around that you just can't live without in your shop?

• Like 1

#1 shop press. Just a cheap-o harbor frieght brand. 20 ton. Makes everything 100 times easier. No more hammering on bearings. #2 60 gallon 220 v air compressor. Infinant air for what im doing. #3 heat for the winter months lol. Its number 3 because i dressed warm for so many years. Now i have a coat hanger in the garage and its maintained at 50 degrees year round.

• Like 1

My favorite are homemade tools that's probably better left for a thread by themselves. My most used tool is my Milwaukee M18 3/8 impact and portable led work light. I have a favorite BFH for those electrical problems as well.  😁

• Like 1

I wont list them all I have, that would turn this thread into a book !..lol. 20 ton shop press is a must have these days, same one slammed has. 1500lb lift jack, my back thanks me more and more. air compressor, along with a 1/2 air impact driver. my brand new wilton ( usa made ) work bench..if you dont have anything ?, a work bench is a MUST HAVE !. bench top grinder/wire wheel. bench top craftsman drill press. 20 gallon parts washer. these are just a few tools I own today, i've got tons of them, just wont list them all here.

• Like 1

My most needed tools have changed a lot over the years. I gave away most of my precision measurement stuff last summer because I don't use them anymore. I am down to one drill press now, one bench grinder & wire wheels, two 4 1/2 inch grinders, two Dremel type die grinders, two impacts, a gazillion various drill sets and taps & dies... still got a gazillion hand tools and pullers and hones, but many of those have already been given away too.

I avoid heavy repair nowadays... prefer to just tinker on new projects or minor repairs for entertainment. I still try to keep a project ATV going year 'round though. Got a 450 Foreman half done and will be looking for another project bike this summer. ATVs are still fun to restore and Mod. But many of my old hobbies and skills aren't interesting (or became too expensive to pursue) anymore.

My most used tools nowadays besides hand tools are my magnifier headset, my multimeters and my soldering stations. My 3 lb hammer and pry bars are not far behind tho...

• Like 2

Cordless electric tools such as ratchets and impact guns are becoming a big thing for me. But to be honest I haven't been working in my shop as much as I used to. If I had to pick my top 5 most used tools other than what I've previously mentioned (in no particular order)....

Vice

Bench Grinder

Drill Press

Cordless Grinder

Lathe

I'd like to have:

Shop Press. probably 50 ton range if not larger

Milling machine, manual ok, CNC would be sick

MIG Welder, yes really, all I have is a stick lol

Plasma cutter or plasma table, that would be cool.

ATV lift.

I guess the more basic wrench turning repairs are starting to loose their lustre LOL Need the more advanced stuff to get me excited.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

Cordless electric tools such as ratchets and impact guns are becoming a big thing for me. But to be honest I haven't been working in my shop as much as I used to. If I had to pick my top 5 most used tools other than what I've previously mentioned (in no particular order)....

Vice

Bench Grinder

Drill Press

Cordless Grinder

Lathe

I'd like to have:

Shop Press. probably 50 ton range if not larger

Milling machine, manual ok, CNC would be sick

MIG Welder, yes really, all I have is a stick lol

Plasma cutter or plasma table, that would be cool.

ATV lift.

I guess the more basic wrench turning repairs are starting to loose their lustre LOL Need the more advanced stuff to get me excited.

lol, I got just enough tools to get me in trouble. but I do own a wire welder !!, that little guy has saved my butt many times !!.

• Like 1

I do alot of mechanic work on the side. Mostly suspension(Leveling Kits, Lift Kits & Lower Kits) but i also do engine and general repairs as well. Some of my favorite tool i own have come from Harbor Freight. Some of my favorites are

1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" 72 Tooth Ratchets

Regular price you can get all 3 for $55ish. I picked mine up on sale with a coupon for $40ish. The equal set, Snap On brand would cost you around $250 USED!

The worst part about Snap On/Mac/etc tools is that you cant just bring is somewhere to exchange it like you can HF. You have to either send it back to they for them to review and repair/replace and wait to have it shipped back. Im lucky enough to have a buddy thats a mechanic at CAT, they have a  tool driver visits them once a week, so if i break one of my Snap On/Mac/etc tools i give to him, wait for the guy to show up, chances are he doesnt have it on the truck so i have to wait another week for him to come back. Its a big headache.

44" Tool Chest

This buy far is the best buy HF offers. You can find it for $380-450 depending on the type of sale is going on. For the price and quality NOBODY can touch that deal.

3Ton Daytona Floor Jack

SnapOn sued HF over this jack AND LOST. SnapOn claimed it was a direct copy of there jack, the judge said otherwise. The way i look at it is if SnapOn is willing to sue over it, that much say something. Not to mention its 1/3 the cost.

29 Gallon 2HP 150PSI Compressor

When i was looking to upgrade my compressor based on my research. The specs vs price was untouchable.

One thing i will NOT buy from HF is any type of pliers. The ones i have bought in the past, you really bear down on them, they seam to twist the jaws. There vise grips are the worse.

Not everything can afford or needs "Profession Grade Tools" like SnapOn/Mac/etc so dont feel bad buying HF tools just do you research on the tool before buying them. I use Garage Journal Forum and YouTube. I dont use my tools for 60+hrs a week like a full time mechanic but i bet i use them a solid 12hrs a week and rarely ever have a issue with them. The funny part is the last 4 tools i did break 3 of them were SnapOn. The other was my 3/8" HF Ratchet. I broke the tip off the "plastic" handle when i used a cheater bar on it.

This tool is also a favorite and has saved my butt many times. If you damage the tip of a bolt you tighten this around the threads near the head and unscrew it, it straightens the threads as you twist it off. Its also great for removing dried up loctite!

333591046_ThreadCleaner.thumb.jpg.019f32b22d6cdb2ee5290b00c3e12c43.jpg

Wayne

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lol, I got just enough tools to get me in trouble. but I do own a wire welder !!, that little guy has saved my butt many times !!.

I've thought about buying a cheap one but I figure if I'm going to buy one it might as well be something good. Just keep putting it off. The stick can do most things it's just not that handy. They are good a lot of times for welding on bearing races so they will shrink. That trick has gotten me out of a lot of binds for sure.

4 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

I've thought about buying a cheap one but I figure if I'm going to buy one it might as well be something good. Just keep putting it off. The stick can do most things it's just not that handy. They are good a lot of times for welding on bearing races so they will shrink. That trick has gotten me out of a lot of binds for sure.

my craftsman wire welder was bought over 10 years ago from sears, 110 volt, I run flux core, I can also set up gas with it, but flux is better outside in windy places. I can't weld worth a crap with a stick welder, cept maybe weld the stick to the steel ?!!..lol.

You can't beat a good stick welder, I still prefer them for many things. I have a cheaper hobart wire feed that I use at home here (flux core). That will be updated someday when I get the shop either done or a new shop built. I have a POS miller at the business, I hate that expensive welder. The problem with having 2 shops, twice the tools needed. I got an ultrasonic cleaner a while back and I do like that for cleaning carbs.

My way too small unfinished home shop.

20191022_174018 (1).jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

my craftsman wire welder was bought over 10 years ago from sears, 110 volt, I run flux core, I can also set up gas with it, but flux is better outside in windy places. I can't weld worth a crap with a stick welder, cept maybe weld the stick to the steel ?!!..lol.

It's too bad that anything Sears/Craftsman isn't worth a pinch of coon ! now. Sad really, I have a lot of craftsman hand tools from the 70's and 80's that are good quality. Look for them at yard sales.

I hear ya on the multiple shops thing Toodeep. We have 3 here on the farm. Seems like whatever you need is always in another shop lol

9 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

It's too bad that anything Sears/Craftsman isn't worth a pinch of coon ! now. Sad really, I have a lot of craftsman hand tools from the 70's and 80's that are good quality. Look for them at yard sales.

I hear ya on the multiple shops thing Toodeep. We have 3 here on the farm. Seems like whatever you need is always in another shop lol

same, most of my craftsman hand tools are from many years ago..back when they were made in USA !, not now, they are junk. and if I ever break one of them ?, they will take my USA tool, and hand me a china copy..sigh.

Just now, shadetree said:

same, most of my craftsman hand tools are from many years ago..back when they were made in USA !, not now, they are junk. and if I ever break one of them ?, they will take my USA tool, and hand me a china copy..sigh.

We don’t even have that option lol Sears went bankrupt and left Canada all together. Gone. I know Stanley or their parent company owns the craftsman brand now and I think Lowe’s carries craftsman up here. I think there is one 5 hours from here maybe? Do they still honour the lifetime warranty or no?

nothing fancy ?, but it serves me very well, 12x16 shop I built a few years ago.

alittle more done ! 001.JPG

outside is done for now ! 001.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, Mac102004 said:

We don’t even have that option lol Sears went bankrupt and left Canada all together. Gone. I know Stanley or their parent company owns the craftsman brand now and I think Lowe’s carries craftsman up here. I think there is one 5 hours from here maybe? Do they still honour the lifetime warranty or no?

Ace hardware, menards, lowes. All carry chraftsman and honer there lifetime guarantee.

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

Ace hardware, menards, lowes. All carry chraftsman and honer there lifetime guarantee.

still made in china though !.

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

still made in china though !.

Oh i totally agree. Not saying they dont suck. We use them for work and they break all the time. Nice thing is most of the time they stock the tool and hand it right to you. I use snap-on for all my atv work. But i use a buddys toolbox who worked for thor sport as his last job and has like 15k in tools and a box he keeps in my garage.

Just now, Mac102004 said:

We don’t have Ace or Menards up here. Even Lowes is pretty scarce, only in the big cities. 

Dang man that sucks! They were talking about making anywhere that sells stanley honor there guarantee. That would include walmart and many other stores. Not sure if it ever happened.

Shops way too clean @shadetree Reminds me of when we was rebuilding and the business shop was actually clean with everything going on. It didn't last long and more tools, parts and everything started accumulating. Shops never big enough especially when you get 2-3 sxs torn down waiting on parts.

534158_428694357152208_274891370_n.jpg

421467_428694460485531_233642688_n.jpg

598795_428694427152201_218855454_n.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Shops way too clean @shadetree Reminds me of when we was rebuilding and the business shop was actually clean with everything going on. It didn't last long and more tools, parts and everything started accumulating. Shops never big enough especially when you get 2-3 sxs torn down waiting on parts.

534158_428694357152208_274891370_n.jpg

421467_428694460485531_233642688_n.jpg

598795_428694427152201_218855454_n.jpg

oh no, you just seen the pic when I was building it ?, its nooooooooo where that clean now !!..its just like you said ^^^, cluster you know what right now !!..lol.

We was forced to a new location in 2012, the only reason my was clean for a while.

404668_10151169130015447_572445446_22601741_181678143_n.jpg

406779_10151169130135447_572445446_22601743_1369485777_n.jpg

• Sad 1

I'm not posting pictures of my shop, because...well it's a nightmare.  I recently started cleaning some stuff out because I have so much space taken up storing parts that I no longer have a place to work.

That said, I got two big 41" toolboxes (top and bottom) made by Waterloo that were some of my Walmart closeout scores, and they'll hold my tools.  Finally got my great grandfather's old drafting desk moved out to the farm shop so I had room for toolboxes and can finally get my parts washer set up. 

Hoping I get a couple of hours to work out there this weekend.  I gotta make getting my shop clean a priority, but life keeps getting in the way. 

As far as tools, a compressor and impact have helped me more than anything.  Makes everything SO much faster and easier.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, toodeep said:

We was forced to a new location in 2012, the only reason my was clean for a while.

Lemme guess... someone left a Polaris parked in the shop overnight and forgot to disconnect the battery cable..?

• Haha 4