superrman77

Shop Tools And Setup

Haven't seen one of those stores in years, but i do have some of there tools a few combo open end wrenches, a pipe wrench, I THINK ? A couple ratchets, assorted sockets deep well and shallow... no black oxide or impact tools..... i thought at one time ace hardware would honer true value tools warranties ? i know ive had some snap on dealers purchase and swop snap on blue point tools for some older stuff i have had.... wasnt john madden a spokes man for true value at one time ?  Or maybe it was pat summerall for true value and madden for ace hardware...... you might try ace hardware... 

I just swapped out my two small box sets for this big craftsman. It’s on a permanent loan from my father in law, it belonged to his late father and was just sitting in storage. I asked if he would mind if I put it to use and he said to go get it. He knows I do most of my own work on my stuff, and he would rather see it safe and in use at my house. It came with quite a few tools inside, but most of it won’t be anything special. What do yall recommend to keep the drawers opening smoothly? Pb blaster or some other kind of oil? White lithium grease?

IMG_6038.jpeg

These are the slide type ? No balls ? I had a top chest kinda like that one.. craftsman.....the ones i had were ballless ..... best i recall was using kroil ... but its so expisive now...id go with a soap grease, white lithium.. i think would be fine.... actully better then thinner lubes like pb or wd-40....

2 hours ago, bigcountry78 said:

he said to go get it

OH! I cant let ^^^^ one go say jeep ? Has pops ever said those words ?  

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, Kevron said:

Hey guys, was going through the shop and found a couple of master mechanic ratchets that aren’t working. My local hardware store used to be a true value store and would warranty them. They’re no true value stores that are close to my area. I was wondering if yall have any true value stores near yall.

My local discount ag used to be a True Value, but it no longer shows up on the store locator, so guessing your store dropped the franchise like my local place did.

21 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

These are the slide type ? No balls ? I had a top chest kinda like that one.. craftsman.....the ones i had were ballless ..... best i recall was using kroil ... but its so expisive now...id go with a soap grease, white lithium.. i think would be fine.... actully better then thinner lubes like pb or wd-40....

OH! I cant let ^^^^ one go say jeep ? Has pops ever said those words ?  

I agree that white grease would be best.

Interestingly enough, yesterday I cleaned out the valley's on my parent's roof, and dad said "You know you need a shop to put all my stuff in.  When I die your mother's going to want it all moved"

He just turned 85 so he's in the "not much longer now" phase of life, even though he's still getting around well.  ! I caught him on a ladder trying to get leaves off of my sister's roof the other day.  I chided him for being up on the ladder and he said "I'm not helpless you know" to which I replied "You're perfectly capable of getting on and off the roof, but IF you fall, you're gonna break a hip, so let's not chance it, ok?"

• Like 2

So, this kinda fits with this thread.   The land adjacent to some land Dad had an old cabin and some other stuff on it years ago, and Dad's now leasing that land more to control it than anything else.  He has sub-leased it to my daughter's boyfriend who lives and breathes hunting and fishing.  The prior owner tore down the old cabin, and there's still lots of good "stuff" out there.  I asked the current owner if I could scavenge/ buy some of it, and he said "Get what you want"

So, went out this weekend and did some scavenging.

Got about 100 sheets of old corrugated tin, formerly the roof of the cabin.  The old stuff is a LOT heavier grade than modern stuff, and I have several projects in mind for this.

Got some cinder blocks from the cabin as well.  Have some washouts on the farm that need filling with those.

Got some 20 foot sections of SDR26 4" PVC pipe.   Not sure why these were there, but don't appear to have ever been used.   I needed PVC to try to control the water levels in my duck hole a little better, and that stuff has gotten pricey, so was glad these were left.

Couple of old I beams.  These were from a scale at an old cotton gin that closed before I was born.  Dad had them hauled out to his place for a bridge back in the early 80's.   The bridge timbers rotted away, and the neighbor pulled them out and put in a culvert, and these I beams have been sitting in the bushes since.  I dragged them  out with the Jeep, and will use them on the farm where there used to be a culvert, but my neighbor dug the culvert out because beavers kept damming it up.   Gotta figure out what I'm going to do for decking, but these beams are heavy enough to be a base for a bridge I can take my little tractor over.  Bunch of telephone poles out there and thought about just chaining them over the Ibeams for a deck.

And most importantly, there's a 9x20 carport out there.   I want that to put my flatbottom boat and a couple of Hondas under.  Moving it will be touchy.  Going to have to figure that one out soon.

Also a big butane tank from the old cabin.  I turned the valve on and could smell gas, so it's obviously still good, so want to grab it too.

ibeams.jpg

propane tank.jpg

telephone poles.jpg

• Like 2

Also found this.  Near as I can tell, it's some sort of weight distributing hitch given that little ball on the side, but appears to be missing some bits.   Anyone have any idea?  Heavy sucker!

hitch 2.jpg

hitch.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah thats what that is.... im not too familure with them, i think shade is....has something to do with anti sway too i believe ? ...never delt with anything like that.... have one at the shop.. no clue where it came from but ya looks just like that one.... and its a (ya) heavy sucker id guess 50 lbs ? Give or take.

• Like 1

Yes, weight distribution hitch. Looks like it might have belonged to Moses. Anyway, it’s missing some parts, but that’s the base of it. There’s a sliding tension bar that attaches to that ball on the side. The other end attaches to a similar ball on the trailer tounge. The bar has an outer section and an inner section that slides through as the trailer turns. There’s a knob that you can use to adjust the tightness and how easily the bar slides, thus controlling trailer sway.

The cups on either side have bars that fit into them. Those bars have chains on the trailer end that attach to a hinged hook. Place the chain on the hook that’s in the down position, then take a handle and lift the hook into the up position. As you do that, the tounge lifts up and the bars/hitch take some of the weight off of the truck springs.

I hope that explanation makes some sense lol.

• Like 1