Hello everyone! I’m Daniel from Refugio, Texas but living in Huntsville, Tx. I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Foreman TRX 450 FM for $150.00. The guy I purchased it from stated all it needed was a top end. It was in decent shape. Plastics aren’t in the best of shape but everything underneath looked pretty good. This will be my first build so I’ll be asking a lot of questions and maybe looking for super good deals on parts. If there is anyone out there that could offer help, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi, Daniel,  welcome to ATVH.

6 minutes ago, DLBeltran74 said:

2003 Honda Foreman TRX 450 FM for $150.00.

not a bad purchase... IMO, if all it needs is a top end. 

Thanks, I was referred here by AKATV. He said it was better than the other one I was on. New to this, so I hope it helps. 

Edited by DLBeltran74
  • Like 1

your welcome :) he's right, hands down he's right... best honda atv site online by far, you couldn't find a better group of friends and helpfull members anywhere. 

IMO = in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

What is IMO?

Welcome to the site  !!!  I have a couple of 450 foot shifters myself .... 

As many times as I have seen " IMO " , I ain't got a clue what it means either , I am not much on letter talk ....

The site  likes you to start a thread on your repair or build in the appropriate thread and move on from the " Intro " thread , before people start talking about your ATV problems , woes , desires , hopes and experiences --------    this turns into Hello , Hello , Hello kind of thread  ---   

• Haha 1

I was told last night it means “in my opinion”. That’s the first on that one. But anyway, I understand what you mean. I began asking questions before I introduced myself. A little ! backwards but it’s too late for that. I don’t have many pictures but then again I just started the project. I have some of what it looked like before I started and right now it’s just the frame. Ill take some as I progress on the rebuild. But thanks for the advice. This place has been pretty darn cool so far. 

Hey DLB, glad our resident Honda speedometer rebuilder got you over here!  And yes this site is by far heads and tails above the "other" site as most everyone with any Honda experience left there over a year ago and started this forum.  I see you have started another fixit thread so will just say welcome!!

• Like 1

Fishfiles said: “As many times as I have seen " IMO " , I ain't got a clue what it means either , I am not much on letter talk ....”

And IMHO means in my humble opinion. I’m not sure how many humble opinions we have around here. Lol 

Welcome Daniel. 

Edited by slowindown

Welcome 

i guess start with a pic and let us get a look at it. Members will prolly recommend you Do a compression test first, carb on.

Download the service manual and verify it has the OEM carb.

heres my Buds 03 TRX450ES I recently did a service on it. Bleeding and inspecting brakes.

9DBF6830-353D-4CC0-844F-2D4E45EE6074.jpeg

Edited by Goober

4C0FB07B-CFC5-4091-9820-8F49B3EBD33D.jpegIt came like this but without the top end on it. The carb looks like it may need some cleaning too. It was rode very hard and put away super wet. I discovered sand/dirt in every crook and crevice of this thing. The rear diff didn’t have any oil but isn’t rusted up. The rear brakes didn’t  have any movement. They were disconnected and completely frozen up. They didn’t work at all but were not engaged. None of the cables work, those were frozen too. All the boots need replaced and all the rear end bearings had a little play in them. To I started by tearing it down and cleaning up the frame. I knocked off all the surface rust and applied a rust resistant primer and a fresh coat of paint. Now I need to order the bearing and start getting to a rolling chassis. 160257D3-28C7-4125-B0CE-323D58032F37.jpeg

5744792E-647C-47A6-89AA-F3EEC4FD0591.jpeg

Edited by DLBeltran74
Erase a picture

Welcome to the forum!

Glad to see you made it over

You are in the right place and we can help you get it fixed up

$ 150.00 is a smokin deal

(spoken in slightly jealous tone) lol

you’ll have to do a bit of work but I am sure it’s nothing we haven’t all seen or done

Start by downloading the Service Manual

If you don’t have one already

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

you can edit it....  for a certain amount of time, or page a member of management to take the pic out for out for you.... im glad it was posted a fellow trucker ? nice to meet a gear jammer like myself, i think you make number four ?, and i see you have a set of cmp >> ( cambridge metal and plastic ) handle bar gaurds ... those (when produced) sold for about 50-75 bucks ... so yeah, you scored good with this purchase. 

for the record, your very first post said you bought a 2003 trx450fm ^^ ?, but the pic's you posted shows a trx450ES, which means, this atv is an electric shift, not a manual shift. big difference !.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DLBeltran74 said:

The plastics are not original. I checked the vin and it shows a 450 FM.

ahhh..ok..i did not see you mention this ?.sorry !. can you post a pic of the left handle bar grip ?, i ask, cuz i see the buttons for an es model ?.

41 minutes ago, DLBeltran74 said:

FABA7C5C-D36B-432B-8F80-F47292B57807.jpeg

ty 4 pic, you was right, i was wrong..i'm too old for this crap !..lol.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

for the record, your very first post said you bought a 2003 trx450fm ^^ ?, but the pic's you posted shows a trx450ES, which means, this atv is an electric shift, not a manual shift. big difference !.

Good call. That’s why I asked for pix, bc some owners don’t know.

good thing izza FM.

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

you can edit it....  for a certain amount of time, or page a member of management to take the pic out for out for you.... im glad it was posted a fellow trucker ? nice to meet a gear jammer like myself, i think you make number four ?, and i see you have a set of cmp >> ( cambridge metal and plastic ) handle bar gaurds ... those (when produced) sold for about 50-75 bucks ... so yeah, you scored good with this purchase. 

Well, sorry to break it to you, but im not a trucker. It is a picture from work, I just don’t drive them. It was involved in a crash and I take pictures of all the vehicles involved in case I need it later for the report. I don’t know how I picked this picture. There is a huge difference between a four wheeler and a 18 wheeler. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

Well, sorry to break it to you, but im not a trucker. It is a picture from work, I just don’t drive them. It was involved in a crash and I take pictures of all the vehicles involved in case I need it later for the report. I don’t know how I picked this picture. There is a huge difference between a four wheeler and a 18 wheeler. 

sorry to hear about your wreck, yes sir, there sure is... lol.... eh don't worry about the pic ;)