Ngac2002

2004 Rubicon OEM disk brake conversion

Guys, 

Thought I’d share my recent conversion to front disk brakes on my 04 Rubicon. Many thanks to Jeepwm68 for his help and insight as to parts I needed. 
I bought the knuckles, calipers, rotors, hubs etc from a ATV salvage yard and converted the drum brakes to disk brakes. Entire job cost me just $300, with some new bearings, dust seals and a couple of lower ball joints. 
“New” brakes work fine, may need to change pads in future, but wanted to see how well it all worked prior to additional cash out lay.
I had to re-align the bike once completed, but so far no negative issues. Entire job took me about 15-16 hours. 

I have attached some before and after pics. Thanks again Jeep!

6AAAE2E1-98CC-4D61-A8F8-7AB1EF9A836E.jpeg

110FF12E-6C27-44E8-955B-D64DE7EF2F5C.jpeg

52E7DA17-EC02-43F8-A456-C4DA34AE179D.jpeg

375245DF-BD31-4B8A-BEFD-03A5631893D1.jpeg

838F5F64-CD28-4596-9A02-5DBF0C3B1279.jpeg

80EA23F5-E641-4B87-AE36-4B6A4A6736C7.jpeg

5574B959-921B-4CC4-A5A5-5591B0159227.jpeg

B39632FC-0C55-418A-9710-872AD0B4497C.jpeg

• Like 3

Glad you go it done without any problems!  Discs are SOOOO much better than drums.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, Ngac2002 said:

Guys, 

Thought I’d share my recent conversion to front disk brakes on my 04 Rubicon. Many thanks to Jeepwm68 for his help and insight as to parts I needed. 
I bought the knuckles, calipers, rotors, hubs etc from a ATV salvage yard and converted the drum brakes to disk brakes. Entire job cost me just $300, with some new bearings, dust seals and a couple of lower ball joints. 
“New” brakes work fine, may need to change pads in future, but wanted to see how well it all worked prior to additional cash out lay.
I had to re-align the bike once completed, but so far no negative issues. Entire job took me about 15-16 hours. 

I have attached some before and after pics. Thanks again Jeep!

6AAAE2E1-98CC-4D61-A8F8-7AB1EF9A836E.jpeg

110FF12E-6C27-44E8-955B-D64DE7EF2F5C.jpeg

52E7DA17-EC02-43F8-A456-C4DA34AE179D.jpeg

375245DF-BD31-4B8A-BEFD-03A5631893D1.jpeg

838F5F64-CD28-4596-9A02-5DBF0C3B1279.jpeg

80EA23F5-E641-4B87-AE36-4B6A4A6736C7.jpeg

5574B959-921B-4CC4-A5A5-5591B0159227.jpeg

B39632FC-0C55-418A-9710-872AD0B4497C.jpeg

Did your stock front wheels fit? Thinking about buying some used rubicon stock wheels and tires for 300TRX with brake conversion. I don’t know much about rubicons. 

31 minutes ago, JR_TRX said:

Did your stock front wheels fit? Thinking about buying some used rubicon stock wheels and tires for 300TRX with brake conversion. I don’t know much about rubicons. 

you must have 12 inch rims in order to run disk brakes on any atv, trx300's come from the factory with 11 inch rims, if you want to use disk brakes on your trx300 ?, you will need 12 inch rims.

• Like 2

They say the disc conversions won’t work with stock aluminum wheels, but from what I’ve seen 99% of the time that setup works fine.

The other one percent requires grounding a Pube hair worth of material off of the top of the caliper and then it still works fine

• Like 1

Steel 12 inch rims are no problem , with aluminum rims which are a little thicker , I have had the calipers drag the rim , I used one inch wheel spacers to clear , then Super Atv added an  note to the instructions to grind a bit off the end of the caliper , which I have never done yet ----something to watch for , with the aluminum rims  , it is very close , when the bearings start getting looseness in them , I have had the caliper hit the rims and make a mark around it 

So, learning from trial and error and ignorance… again 92’ 300. Stock 18’ Rubicon steel wheels fit the front after the conversion. As fish said. The rear with 25x10-12 tires needs spacing. The offset in the rear (inside) is too deep. Bumping the muffler one side and the frame on the other.

Edited by JR_TRX

23 minutes ago, JR_TRX said:

So, learning from trial and error and ignorance… again 92’ 300. Stock 18’ Rubicon steel wheels fit the front after the conversion. As fish said. The rear with 25x10-12 tires needs spacing. The offset in the rear (inside) is too deep. Bumping the muffler one side and the frame on the other.

I just released , you should have opened you own thread Jr_trx

92 300 is my favorite 

18inch rims wouldn't be stock , think you just did a typo on that -----    well you could go to 10 inch wide tires , change the rims out for a different offset or go with wheel spacers , they are cheap , would think 1 inch  would take care of the clearance on the rear cause you have 12 wides , some people  don't like spacers , say the put extra load on your bearings and can come loose , I have never had much problems with them for all the hours I have put on them  , people that talk bad about them , more than not have never actually  used them and just repeat stuff like parrots , I am sure we will hear a few squawks on that Hot Topic   LOL 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203461463696?hash=item2f5f3f8e90:g:~qwAAOSwzL9dt1gf

image.png

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

92 is a good one , I have one and it is my favorite ---- 

18inch rims wouldn't be stock , think you just did a typo on that -----    well you could go to 10 inch wide tires , change the rims out for a different offset or go with wheel spacers , they are cheap , would think 1 inch  would take care of the clearance on the rear cause you have 12 wides , some people  don't like spacers , say the put extra load on your bearings and can come loose , I have never had much problems with them for all the hours I have put on them  , people that talk bad about them , more than not have never actually  used them and just repeat stuff like parrots , I am sure we will hear a few squawks on that Hot Topic   LOL 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203461463696?hash=item2f5f3f8e90:g:~qwAAOSwzL9dt1gf

image.png

Yeah I ordered 1.5’s. I’m not planning on running the wheeler super hard. That could change tho, lol. The 18’ reference was 2018 rubicon stocks wheels and tires. Found some Saturday and got’em. 

Edited by JR_TRX

Just now, JR_TRX said:

Yeah I ordered 1.5’s. I’m not planning on running the wheeler super hard. That could change tho, lol. The 18’ reference was 2018 rubicon stocks wheels and ires. Found some Saturday and got’em. 

the 18 being the year , didn't trigger with me , went right over my head  ,  so IRS rims ----  I think when you said the offset was too deep in the rear , that's backwards  , should of been , the offset of the rims are not deep enough ?

I had a set of Honda IRS aluminum factory rims  on a 300 2wd with 2inch spacers on them , looked funny to me , I like the deep dish look in the rear , still have them rims in the trailer , glad you made me think of them , they will be up for sale this week , I been liquidating  --- I gave the guy $20 for all 4 rims and tires ,  he was having himself a garage sale in the parking lot of the closed down Time Saver one Sunday morning  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

the 18 being the year , didn't trigger with me , went right over my head  ,  so IRS rims ----  I think when you said the offset was too deep in the rear , that's backwards  , should of been , the offset of the rims are not deep enough ?

I had a set of Honda IRS aluminum factory rims  on a 300 2wd with 2inch spacers on them , looked funny to me , I like the deep dish look in the rear , still have them rims in the trailer , glad you made me think of them , they will be up for sale this week , I been liquidating  --- I gave the guy $20 for all 4 rims and tires ,  he was having himself a garage sale in the parking lot of the closed down Time Saver one Sunday morning  

I like the deep dish look as well. For the time being till the spacers arrive, lol... Put the eBay 2” lift on it recently as well. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JR_TRX said:

I like the deep dish look as well. For the time being till the spacers arrive, lol... Put the eBay 2” lift on it recently as well. 

image.jpg

Wow , that's clean .... 

• Like 1

that's a clean looking bike @JR_TRX keep us updated on your progress, i to have been thinking of a front brake disk mod, but things are too busy right now. 

• Like 2

I am changing out the master cylinder, should have things completed in a week or so. Drum brake master cylinder did not provide stopping power I am looking for. Shadetree has suggested I swap it for a disk brake master cylinder, as he did on one of his conversions. My stock aluminum wheels were fine with my OEM conversion (so far), but will keep you posted.

1 minute ago, Ngac2002 said:

I am changing out the master cylinder, should have things completed in a week or so. Drum brake master cylinder did not provide stopping power I am looking for. Shadetree has suggested I swap it for a disk brake master cylinder, as he did on one of his conversions. My stock aluminum wheels were fine with my OEM conversion (so far), but will keep you posted.

i only said to swap it out, because with my '89 trx350D foreman, the master cylinder ( oem ), was not made for disk brakes like on some newer models today. i used a master cylinder from a trx420 on my trx350D when i did the front disk conversion, and it works great !.

• Like 3

I get it, looking to lock them up like my latter model rancher does! They stop the rubi, but not as fast as I would like.