JRB

98 450es Timing

Hello, need help. I have a 98 450es with a bad chain tensioner (not working at all) . The bike ran great up to the time parts were on order. last time I ran it, it wouldn't rev. and backfired. So I pulled the front cover, and as I thought the chain has a lot of slack. Here's the Question: I pulled the crank sight window, it's at TDC. (2 marks) and the cam sprocket mark is off ( between 12 to 1 oclock ) . shouldn't the cam sprocket marks be at 12 oclock ? the valves are relaxed. I'm replacing the tensioner and chain. Any Help would be Appreciated. 

3 hours ago, JRB said:

Hello, need help. I have a 98 450es with a bad chain tensioner (not working at all) . The bike ran great up to the time parts were on order. last time I ran it, it wouldn't rev. and backfired. So I pulled the front cover, and as I thought the chain has a lot of slack. Here's the Question: I pulled the crank sight window, it's at TDC. (2 marks) and the cam sprocket mark is off ( between 12 to 1 oclock ) . shouldn't the cam sprocket marks be at 12 oclock ? the valves are relaxed. I'm replacing the tensioner and chain. Any Help would be Appreciated. 

I just " tried " to read your post again !!!   It might help to try and repost ---------  do you know to change the timing chain you have to take the jug off , what's your plans on dealing with that , you mentioned " parts were on order " 

I will try to repost. Yes I know I have to remove everything. Q is are the marks supposed to be at 12 o'clock on the cam? Right now they are not. ?

I asked and you never answered ,   I take it you don't have the manual  ...  

fullsizeoutput_ed9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_edb.jpeg

• Like 1

As fish has stated if you dont have the SM you can download the one for your model for free here.  The main menu line has the link, it will come in handy for most any problem or question you will have and give you most all the info you need.....

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, bcsman said:

As fish has stated if you dont have the SM you can download the one for your model for free here.  The main menu line has the link, it will come in handy for most any problem or question you will have and give you most all the info you need.....

Service Manual , 98- TTRX450S , FM , ES ,TE ::

484 pages 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

• Like 1

You want the "T" on the flywheel for TDC, not the 2 marks.

• Like 2

Thanks Toodeep. I had it wrong!  That could of been nasty. I found this bike cheep, now I know Y. It has oil pump failure,  witch I believe led to the cam chain tensioner to cam chain to who knows what else. I'm in the process of tearing it down. Wish me luck. Lol