Wheeler

Rear Hubs on Way Out..

So couple years ago I installed a new rear axle when I rebuilt the diff. Hubs seemed fine. I’m changing the rear diff oil & noticed the rear wheels had some good play. Upon inspection they are moving in the hubs. I’ll pop them off & make sure the axle nuts are tight but I could see the movement plane as day… not a good sign.. I’ll report back after I check the axle nuts. 

Well I believe they have too much play. The red loctite was still holding the nuts solid but play on the hubs. I re greased & hammered them down with the impact & re loctite. No play now, but I’ll have to get on the hunt for a good set of hubs. 

• Like 1

Make sure you get the right hubs when you order , the first generation 300 hubs 88-92  had shorter splines then the second gens 93-up ----- 

I tell you what will make them last a lot longer , either till you find some or maybe permanent , clean the splines of the axle and the hub , then apply  some JBWeld or MinuteMend, tighten it all up and it will last you a long time , if you ever have to get them off , it is just a matter of hammering them off , not like welding them on 

• Like 1

I had NO idea about the axle hub length. I believe when I ordersd the axle it was for a 95. That’s the year if the quad. Ya the JB weld truck would do it for sure!! I’ll see if I can get som hubs first. 

the axles are the same length , just the hub and axle splines  are short or long ------- they had problems with the short splined hubs stripping out and went with a longer spline 

I remember comparing them @Fishfiles I know I did & they were the same. I’ve got the thread on here. I’ll have to find it. 

Sounds like they just came loose which is very common. If you had the wrong axle or hub that would be very noticeable. Funny fact, Honda upgraded the 300 to the longer spline hubs to help with them not coming loose as often. In 07 they came out with the 420 Rancher and guess what hub they use on them... the first gen 300 hub that they chose to update back then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, toodeep said:

Sounds like they just came loose which is very common. If you had the wrong axle or hub that would be very noticeable. Funny fact, Honda upgraded the 300 to the longer spline hubs to help with them not coming loose as often. In 07 they came out with the 420 Rancher and guess what hub they use on them... the first gen 300 hub that they chose to update back then.

Probably found a bunch of old stock hubs somewhere and figured they'd use them on a production run.