jeffo21

disc brakes?

I read up on it the other night couldn't sleep and it seemed pretty easy to swap them over to disc brakes.

Yeah but under it says 12" wheels or bigger?

The rear is for machines with the brakes out next to the rear wheel. The 300 and 420s are the inner brake system so it won't work. The 2x4 300 uses spindles and the hub is the brake drum, the 4x4 uses knuckles with a hub that the brake drum bolts to. They mount the disk to the hubs and that's why they won't work.

Just now, jeffo21 said:

I read up on it the other night couldn't sleep and it seemed pretty easy to swap them over to disc brakes.

yeah still for 4x4 models though, the brake setup is a little different between them and the 2wd. and the reason you have to run 12" wheels is because if clearance issues with the calliper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffo21 said:

you must have 12 inch rims to use disk brake kits. and your atv must be 4x4 in order to put disk brake kits on the front.

Just now, jeffo21 said:

ok thanks guys guess I will spend the money on something else for it then.

spend the money, buy a 4x4 trx300fw..like the one I linked here ^^^..then you wont need to buy and install the front disk brake kit ?, its already on it !..lol.

but I sure like showering at least once a week and sleeping in a bed not cedar shavings

3 minutes ago, jeffo21 said:

ok thanks guys guess I will spend the money on something else for it then.

I think the front kit can be had for it. If you are on the Honda 300 Club Facebook group send a message to a guy makes Gordon Mobley, he is one of the admins. I know for a fact he was selling them at one point I don’t know that he still is. But he might know someone else if it isn’t. 

Also, does anyone know if the front spindles and all could be swapped from something like a 300EX to give you disk brakes on the utility 300 2wd? Might be worth looking into. 

I had a friend that wanted to buy another 4 wheeler but he said his wife would make him sleep on the couch. Me being who I am, I told him he might as well buy a new couch as well. She gave me some dirty looks. I probably shouldn't give that good advice when the wife is standing there. 😁

I though about using EX parts but I have no clue if they would work.

• Haha 3

I don't do facebook thing Mac but thanks

no toodeep sounds like she doesn't like you much

I would be lucky to get the couch if I bought that 4wheeler from shadetree.

3 minutes ago, jeffo21 said:

I don't do facebook thing Mac but thanks

no toodeep sounds like she doesn't like you much

I would be lucky to get the couch if I bought that 4wheeler from shadetree.

lol ^^^^..dog house 4 sure !..lol.

yeah and a 110lb german shepard that passes more gas than I do is not a good thing

• Haha 3

SuperATV use to sell a Rancher 2wd kit , which could be modified to fit a 300 2wd by fab'ing new caliper mounting brackets with no offset , the 4wd  kits mounts have offsets  and getting some shims to center the disc in the caliper , the Rancher 2wd kit gave you the hub which is needed -------------- I have 3 2wd 300s that have disc in the front -----the kit was discontinued years ago  , Gordon Mobley  said he was working on getting some more of the Rancher made , but never seen where it happened ------

on the rear disc conversion , one requirement is the brake drum needs to be at the wheel , the 300 brake drum is not so that don't work  -------------  if you were running a 250 rear end in your 300 , the brake drum is at the wheel , but it won't work because  the axle spline of the brake drum on a 250 rear end is different ------ I have a project almost finished , to retro fit disc on a 250 rear end 

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

• Like 1

I guess I am just stuck with the old drum brakes. Shadetree would have me out in the cold by buying his ATV. lol

Well someone gave me a 2wd 300 a while back.  No rear end, no top end, but it's a 95 and had decent fenders, racks, and the bottom end still turns over so I'm going to try to fix it.

I have successfully put 07-13 420 brakes on a 4x4 300.  The only thing that was required was wallowing out the upper a-arm ball joint hole to accept the bigger 375 ball joint that the foremans use.  It's kind of a PITA, but it can be done.  After that the 420 knuckles fit right on the a-arms at the ball joints, and I had disc brakes using factory Honda parts.

The 2wd upper arms are the same as the 4wd upper arms, so deductive reasoning says you could do the same with 420 2wd brakes from an 07-13 420.  I've already bought two spindles and hub and rotor assemblies to try it out.  Already have extra calipers on hand.

One other way (since yours is new enough) would be to get knuckles and a hub from a 4x4 (also would need the outer cv cup) and convert it over to the knuckle instead of a spindle. Then the aftermarket kits would work.

lol I was looking into the parts jeep was talking about and it was going to be high dollar

Another thing you can do is what I did when I changed my 01 Rubicon over to disc brakes without buying different wheels is add 1" wheel spacers then you can use the stock wheels without any rubbing issues.  This also makes your ride a lot more stable. 

Did you use 05-up 500 factory discs or do an aftermarket disc conversion?

Edited by jeepwm69

6 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Did you use 05-up 500 factory discs or do an aftermarket disc conversion?

After Market....I got the front and rear disc kits from Super ATV like others mentioned above in this thread.

8 minutes ago, 01RUBY500 said:

After Market....I got the front and rear disc kits from Super ATV like others mentioned above in this thread.

05-14 Rubicon, 05-11 Foreman, and 06-up Rincon brakes will swap over at the ball joints.  Allows you to keep your stock aluminum wheels. 

Most people don't have trouble running the factory aluminum wheels even with a SuperATV or HL conversion.  

Your spacer idea definitely works though, just might sling mud all over you from the front wheels, or make it hard to get through tight spaces in the woods.