Kevron

Hey carpenters!

I’ve got a question for the carpenters and painters out there. My wife decided to start remodeling our bathroom starting with the cabinets. I had told her they would have to have the old polyurethane sanded off before we could paint. So while I’m at work she goes at it with a palm sander and 80 grit sandpaper. She informs me that night that she switched to 35 grit to get it off!🤬 My question is will the paint fill in where the grain was pulled or do I need to putty? Check out the picture, I intend on priming and two coats of paint. Thanks for advice 

76788CED-E04B-4926-8E25-0AA84E1F76E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Bless her little heart.   She sure got that poly off.  I'd sand it with progressively higher grits until the scratches or wood is gone.  Which ever comes first.

Putty will make it look like plastic.  If the gouges follow the grain, she may have created a new grainy look but then all have to be done the same.

Try using Bullseye Shellac.  It's a sanding sealer of sorts and will at least seal off the wood preventing further paint from absorbing deeper.  The grain can also be filled by sanding with boiled linseed oil a half dozen times.  The slop fills the grain and hardens.

Painting over poly isn't a problem but getting the surface perfectly free of dirt and grease prior to sanding is the tough part.  240 or 320 is a good pre paint finish.

• Like 2

I agree with 56 , I wouldn't use putty , could see it messing it up worst  ---  maybe just for the most part leave it like it is , kind of a distressed look --- Bull's Eye works really well to fill up the low spots --- maybe many coats of sand and seal or prime and seal paint 

• Like 1

Grain, looks good. but not too awful deep. did some painting once. paint is like putty my grampa told me, made to fill up cracks.

was a long time back, an dont know if its the same anymore.

Edited by LedFTed