DLBeltran74

First build!!!!

This is my first four wheeler build. I stripped it down and sanded, primed and painted every part that I could. It had some surface rust but nothing major. It took a while to do but I got it done. Now time to start rebuilding with new bearings and seals along the way. A new top end and cleaning up front and rear diffs. I will be rebuilding the rear diff but not the front. They were both pretty solid, it’s just the rear had a torn boot so I decided to tear it apart. It had some sand and water but wasnt rusted at all.  I hope I get it right! I printed out the book so it should go ok. Wish me luck folks!!!

3F0D56C0-6AF9-443E-A7DD-B366C0F0449A.jpeg

4E5F1CF2-B527-445D-8E1C-3941AA559CB1.jpeg

BFFAC87C-215F-4081-9E50-5200A6F52646.jpeg

D7317D00-D51E-4BE1-B8BD-6D75989B52C3.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice job so far DLB.  gonna have a fine looking machine when you get it done, will check out your progress....

• Like 1

Just now, DLBeltran74 said:

It’s a 2003, but close.

If that is the case you have the wrong axle tube on the rear end , the 2002-2004 the hitch bolts on , 98-2001 it is welded on , they both will fit one another 

49 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

If that is the case you have the wrong axle tube on the rear end , the 2002-2004 the hitch bolts on , 98-2001 it is welded on , they both will fit one another 

I saw that in the manual but didn’t think anything of it. The rest of the bike is a 2003. But if it works with what I have then it will be ok. 

1 minute ago, DLBeltran74 said:

I saw that in the manual but didn’t think anything of it. The rest of the bike is a 2003. But if it works with what I have then it will be ok. 

Are you using the 98-2001 1st gen diff too ?  There is only one other difference I can think of  as far as the rear ends go , the 2nd gen diff 2001-2004 doesn't use the pinion nut , where the first gen does 

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Are you using the 98-2001 1st gen diff too ?  There is only one other difference I can think of  as far as the rear ends go , the 2nd gen diff 2001-2004 doesn't use the pinion nut , where the first gen does 

2001 does use the pinion nut. 2002 is when it was taken away.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, shadetree said:

2001 does use the pinion nut. 2002 is when is was taken away.

Yep , typo , 98- 2001 1st gen  /  2002 -2004 2nd gen , had it right on the hitch post 

Well, it’s coming along. I got me a roller. I’m happy with the progress so far. I should have had the wiring harness on but those ultras snuck up on me and had me take it in early! 

18DF77BB-C2BD-49A7-BCEC-059CF86FC813.jpeg

D0484D36-21CC-4A55-83D8-FC635F090755.jpeg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just out of curiosity,  what kind of sealant did you use on the cylinder base ? 

image.jpg

The black rtv. Was that the wrong stuff to use? It states in the package it is for all models, makes a leak proof gasket and withstands heat up to 600 degrees. If I used the wrong stuff, then I’ll just pray it holds. 

3 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

The black rtv. Was that the wrong stuff to use? It states in the package it is for all models, makes a leak proof gasket and withstands heat up to 600 degrees. If I used the wrong stuff, then I’ll just pray it holds. 

RTV is the wrong stuff to use , the excess that squeezes out to the inside can dislodge and travel thru the engine like a " Blood Clot " and cause severe damage ----  Honda Bond  or YamaBond is what you should have used ------   it is not too late to take it back apart and do it right 

17 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

just out of curiosity,  what kind of sealant did you use on the cylinder base ? 

image.jpg

4 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

some say don't use any at all while other say you can use it, just depends on who you talk to..... i myself.... wouldn't use it, but if ?? i had to it would be a very very  thin layer. it's just the amount squeezed out... caught my eye..... I'm not too sure how much of a rush your in to get done with this bike, but if your going leave as is i hope it pays off, and not any of it made its way into the crank case. 

• Sad 1

Sounds like wilson says he would use Black RTV in a thin layer ^^^ and that would be OK , so you should be OK to take a chance  , that's years of experience talking there ------   seen @shadetree around last night , let's ask him how he feels about using Black RTV , LOL 

9 hours ago, DLBeltran74 said:

actually if the base and bottom of the jug / cylinder was cleaned very well of the old gasket, the new gasket would have should be enough. like i said just depends on who you ask about using rtv.... personaly i wouldn't....on an atv, well.... lol maybe a Polaris ..... haha!  the more of them we get rid of the better off. :-) 

• Like 1

It’s coming along! I took everyone’s advice and pulled the cylinder off and scraped off that black seal stuff and other gasket. I put a new gasket without the stuff. It looks good. It went together well. Now I’m running new vent hoses and trying to figure out the wiring. I printed the manual but it doesn’t clearly state what connects to what. But anyway, I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Then apply the plastics and a new battery and see if it starts!!! Cross my fingers!!!

02C5ADAC-442A-4BAF-A0BF-6D362659ADF2.jpeg

1863C500-4F5A-434C-8C8C-4D214F291815.jpeg

30802BDA-6388-496F-A18F-14A0233615B7.jpeg

AF4CC494-7A13-4F5A-97B6-66E31C70AF28.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 7:05 PM, DLBeltran74 said:

It’s coming along! I took everyone’s advice and pulled the cylinder off and scraped off that black seal stuff and other gasket. I put a new gasket without the stuff. It looks good. It went together well. Now I’m running new vent hoses and trying to figure out the wiring. I printed the manual but it doesn’t clearly state what connects to what. But anyway, I’m sure I’ll figure it out. Then apply the plastics and a new battery and see if it starts!!! Cross my fingers!!!

02C5ADAC-442A-4BAF-A0BF-6D362659ADF2.jpeg

1863C500-4F5A-434C-8C8C-4D214F291815.jpeg

30802BDA-6388-496F-A18F-14A0233615B7.jpeg

AF4CC494-7A13-4F5A-97B6-66E31C70AF28.jpeg

do us a favor, trying waiting on plastics to start it, NOW is the time you need to get it far enough to start it, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL PLASTICS IS ALL BACK ON IT !.

• Like 2

ALSO, double, triple check all the timing marks, and such, you do not want it to be out of time on first crank up !.

10 hours ago, shadetree said:

do us a favor, trying waiting on plastics to start it, NOW is the time you need to get it far enough to start it, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL PLASTICS IS ALL BACK ON IT !.

Good advice , I learned the hard way many times over thru life , on equipment cars , boats , atvs , to crank up and try it ,   as soon as there are enough parts back on , I have put everything back together before and had to take it all apart again cause something wasn't just right 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

Yep, I ride around looking like something from "The Road Warrior" for at least a couple of days before I start putting any fenders back on.

• Like 1