Rgifford123

89 fourtrax leaking out of front diff tube

So Ive had this 89 fourtrax for a while now its been great but its always had a small leak i always thought it was oil coming from one of the engine gaskets but today I took out 4trax and it started steadily dripping out and i found out its fluid coming out of the front diff tube that loops up to the bottom of the gas tank, also on my way back home I noticed when I would turn sharp to the right you could hear pooping coming from what I would think is the rear axle on the left side idk if this has anything to do with the leak, but does anyone have any idea why it would be leaking like that?

fourtrax 300 ?? your talking about the vent tube ? well what first comes to mind is too much gear oil or water being drawn in and mixing (taking up space in the front chunk) might  would cause this, if the oil is milky looking then water is getting in, do you do much deep water mud riding ? ... and no this (front oil leak) would not have anything to do with the rear end popping... 1st i would check the rear right side hub... for tightness... these bikes have a habit of the hubs getting loose 

welcome to the forums. 

• Like 1

which model are you talking about because they didnt make a 300fwd in 89 ... they started in 88.... skipped 89, then started back in 90, and the gas tank on trx350 is under the seat, only 2 utility models were made in 89 the 2 wheel drive 300 fourtrax, and trx350, i did read from you other post you have a rancher ? 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

fourtrax 300 ?? your talking about the vent tube ? well what first comes to mind is too much gear oil or water being drawn in and mixing (taking up space in the front chunk) might  would cause this, if the oil is milky looking then water is getting in, do you do much deep water mud riding ? ... and no this (front oil leak) would not have anything to do with the rear end popping... 1st i would check the rear right side hub... for tightness... these bikes have a habit of the hubs getting loose 

welcome to the forums. 

Hey so for some reason I wrote down front diff it was the transfer case that was leaking from the vent tube. And to the other guy that posted your right it is a 90 model. When I first looked at the fluid I thought it was good but after looking at it with a flashlight it definitely has water in it so I'm sure the whole problem is that its just over full. As far as the rear end popping im going to tear it down and figure out what axle is popping it is also full of water I guess the seals finally gave out. Thank you guys for taking time out to respond to this post

• Like 2

thanks for the update..... i take it this bike was use for mudding, and creek / deep water riding.... that and, seals would explain water in the transfer case / and rear end... sence you say the fluid was coming from up under that gas tank, i would think the vent lines would be in good shape (still on the bike)  and not split or cracked, might i ask if your the original owner ? 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

Amazing what  little details  like 90 instead of 89 and transfer case instead of front diff can make a difference , LOL 

do you know there is a oil level plug on side of the transfer case ----  the end of the drive shaft gets a seal groove cut into it , so when you change the seal take a look at that shaft 

Sounds like there is water in your diet -------  What I would do  and it ain't to quit riding in water like so many will suggest ,  leave it like it is ,  flush it out with diesel , fill it to the full mark with Lucas Hub Oil , drill and tap the fill cap for a 1/8 grease fitting and pump it full of marine grease till it comes out the vent tube , stick the vent tube back on , then about every 6 hours of riding pump it full of grease again 

look / feel up under the driveshaft cover, where the shaft enters the transfer case looks as the if a seal was compromised it would be leeking there as well as well as blowing the over fill liquid up and out of the vent tube under the gas tank.