Fishfiles

Music

Stevie Ray might have been the best blues guy ever had he not been killed in the helicopter crash 

Stephen Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 – August 27, 1990) was an American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer, best known as the guitarist and frontman of the blues rock band Double Trouble. Other associated acts include singer David Bowie and multi-instrumentalist Chente Vasquez (Chente Vasquez Experience). Although his mainstream career only spanned seven years, he is considered an icon and one of the most influential musicians in the history of blues music, and one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Vaughan began playing guitar at age seven, initially inspired by his elder brother, Jimmie Vaughan. In 1972, he dropped out of high school and moved to Austin, where he began to gain a following after playing gigs on the local club circuit. Vaughan formed the band Double Trouble in 1978 and established it as part of the Austin music scene; it soon became one of the most popular acts in Texas. He performed at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1982, where David Bowie saw him play and contacted him for a studio gig, resulting in Stevie playing his blues guitar on the album Let's Dance (1983), before being discovered by John Hammond, who interested major label Epic Records in signing Vaughan and his band to a record deal. Within months, they achieved mainstream success for the critically acclaimed debut album Texas Flood. With a series of successful network television appearances and extensive concert tours, Vaughan became the leading figure in the blues revival of the 1980s. Playing his guitar behind his back or plucking the strings with his teeth as Jimi Hendrix did, he earned unprecedented stardom in Europe, which later resulted in breakthroughs for guitar players like Robert Cray, Jeff Healey, Robben Ford and Walter Trout, amongst others.

During the majority of his life, Vaughan struggled with drug and alcohol addiction. He also struggled with the personal and professional pressures of fame and his marriage to Lenora "Lenny" Bailey. He successfully completed rehabilitation and began touring again with Double Trouble in November 1986. His fourth and final studio album In Step reached number 33 in the United States in 1989; it was one of Vaughan's most critically and commercially successful releases and included his only number-one hit, "Crossfire". He became one of the world's most highly demanded blues performers, and he headlined Madison Square Garden in 1989 and the Beale Street Music Festival in 1990.

On August 27, 1990, Vaughan and four others were killed in a helicopter crash in East Troy, Wisconsin, after performing with Double Trouble at Alpine Valley Music Theatre. An investigation concluded that the cause was pilot error and Vaughan's family later filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Omniflight Helicopters that was settled out of court. Vaughan's music continued to achieve commercial success with several posthumous releases and has sold over 15 million albums in the United States alone. In 2003, David Fricke of Rolling Stone ranked him the seventh greatest guitarist of all time. Vaughan was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2015, along with Double Trouble bandmates Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon, and Reese Wynans.

• Like 1

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

fish, in the first part, who is the guy with long hair playing the blue outlined guitar .... i the face i kind of recall. 

Eric Clapton 

• Like 1

posted this because we actually had something like this happen at a country bar i used to go to back in the day......but  there was nothing thrown, except questionable comments / words... anyways .... going back to my post in @WonderMonkey lightening thread, the actor doing the part of the bar owner, is the spitting image of herald's son, Richard Whitley, a good friend of mine, and a 300 fourtrax owner.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

posted this because we actually had something like this happen at a country bar i used to go to back in the day......but  there was nothing thrown, except questionable comments / words... anyways .... going back to my post in @WonderMonkey lightening thread, the actor doing the part of the bar owner, is the spitting image of herald's son, Richard Whitley, a good friend of mine, and a 300 fourtrax owner.

I love that entire movie, especially since there are real musicians playing the musicians.  Adds to the charm.

• Like 3

That was a great movie , they don't make movies like that any more 

• Like 2

These guys are fun to party with , local guys from New Orleans , The Bag of Donuts , they put on a show 

Paul Rogers is pretty good , played with Free , Bad Company , The Firm , The Law