TJA

New owner of a 1999 Honda foreman.

Spoiler

Hello, I just bought a really beat up Honda 450es foreman. I just replaced the front wheel bearings and a ball joint. Next on the list is to get the fan running. The previous owner was no mechanic. He replaced the jug and piston with an eBay one, probably chinese. It makes one heck of a tick while running. Lots of things to do on this one. I'll be here looking for information. Thanks.

Edited by TJA
Wrong word

Welcome to the forum ! 

A " really beat up 450ES " , do say  , you'll won't be alone here , I think we got more 450 + 350 ES's than any other models  !!!! 

Did you check and/or adjust the valves for that tick ---- >>>>>> Does it shift ?

Thanks for the reply Fishfiles. I'm not really familiar with Honda, I have built a few small block Chevy's though. I have some learning to do. The kid I bought it from said something about replacing the cam or cam chain. 

Edited by TJA

It seems to shift fine, I just have to remember to put it back in neutral before shutting it down or it jams.

I have some experience building engines, not a pro but an advanced hobbyist. Me and the wife used to race a Camaro back in the day. Thanks for the reply.

Hey TJA glad you took the time to find us.  And yes we do have a bunch of the older 350/450 models.  As a 450ES owner if you forget to find neutral when you shut it down you may get the  -  in the gear area.  Sometimes you can just use the buttons to get your green light, sometimes just rocking the bike a little with the buttons will work.  Either way it shouldn't be a problem getting back to neutral.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, bcsman said:

Hey TJA glad you took the time to find us.  And yes we do have a bunch of the older 350/450 models.  As a 450ES owner if you forget to find neutral when you shut it down you may get the  -  in the gear area.  Sometimes you can just use the buttons to get your green light, sometimes just rocking the bike a little with the buttons will work.  Either way it shouldn't be a problem getting back to neutral.....

That something I have to remember! Thanks.

@TJA ---- See your looking for  valve adjust  procedure , in the manual I linked for you , section 3-8 ,  page 62 ----  I have a couple of 450s myself , a 2000 and a 2002 

Thanks Brother, I downloaded it, hard to read on a phone. I'm going to get my wife to print it out for me! Thanks again for the help.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, TJA said:

It seems to shift fine, I just have to remember to put it back in neutral before shutting it down or it jams.

I have heard friends that had ES say that , it is best to down shift it back to neutral while your slowing down before you totally  stop , if you stop moving and try to down shift from a high gear is when it will mess up 

I found on my personal machine, as long as it is in neutral when I shut it down, it's fine. If not, I roll it around and look for a 12 mm open end wrench. But if I remember to put her back in neutral I have had no problems at all. My machine is beat up, it worked on a Pennsylvania farm most of its life. The wheel bearings and ball joints were shot, actually, the wheel bearings were packed with dirt and manure!  One of the ball joints had it's nut welded on. It indicates to me that this is one tough little machine. I have been doing a lot of reading here. I intend to use this for many years on my farm. Even with the compromised engine it is powerful. I have some time today to surf through the manual you provided, it's tough with a small screen and old eyes! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TJA said:

I found on my personal machine, as long as it is in neutral when I shut it down, it's fine. If not, I roll it around and look for a 12 mm open end wrench. But if I remember to put her back in neutral I have had no problems at all. My machine is beat up, it worked on a Pennsylvania farm most of its life. The wheel bearings and ball joints were shot, actually, the wheel bearings were packed with dirt and manure!  One of the ball joints had it's nut welded on. It indicates to me that this is one tough little machine. I have been doing a lot of reading here. I intend to use this for many years on my farm. Even with the compromised engine it is powerful. I have some time today to surf through the manual you provided, it's tough with a small screen and old eyes! 

Well you said you plan on keeping it  , for  many years on the farm ---- so either buy a service manual off the net or have it printed from the download, I did that with a few atvs I have had 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282209741959?hash=item41b502ec87:g:~ikAAOSwzXxaA3Ev

I'll have my wife print it! She is younger than me and understands all this interwebs stuff. All I know is my phone has to be in the dining room to print! Thanks again for the file. I checked it out today and it seems straight forward. I love the fact that my machine is carburetored. The less electronics the better. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet either, bit I will. 

I always get a service manual for anything I buy, never been able to trust anyone else to do things correctly just for money.

i bought a hayne's service manual for the 2000es. it pretty much runs parallel with the honda service manual, cept the wiring diagrams are in color.

welcome to the site.

• Like 1

Try adjusting your clutch—easiest thing to do if you have a shifting problem

• Like 1