JRB

98 450es clutch adjustment

Hay all, I am reinstalling the front cover on my 450es. I have found the clutch adj. screw will not turn. I have used pb blaster on it, but it will not budge. any ideas ? 

Thanks Fishfiles I got it. FYI you cant use heat because of the o-ring. I just put the retaining nut back on the screw and hit it out of the cover. replaced it with a coating of grease. Thanks for your response. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JRB said:

Thanks Fishfiles I got it. FYI you cant use heat because of the o-ring. I just put the retaining nut back on the screw and hit it out of the cover. replaced it with a coating of grease. Thanks for your response. 

Sure you can heat it with the o-ring , just replace the o-ring  with another 

Yes Fishflies, you probably can use heat. But why distort the aluminum cover? Problem was aluminum oxidation between the adj. Screw and the cover. Reinstall with a coating of grease. Thanks for you response. 

31 minutes ago, JRB said:

Yes Fishflies, you probably can use heat. But why distort the aluminum cover? Problem was aluminum oxidation between the adj. Screw and the cover. Reinstall with a coating of grease. Thanks for you response. 

You wouldn't heat the adjustment's screws jam nut to cherry ride and distort the cover , would you  , just a touch of heat to break it loose ----  a hand held  hammer impact driver works on breaking loose that adjuster , great tool for working on ATVs , but also with it , in the wrong hands the case could get broke 

Next time your trying to unstick something frozen up from corrosion and or rust ,  try starting  with some better penetrant , PB Blaster is really not that good , AeroKroil is my favorite , there are many others out there  that are better than PB , 3M 5 in 1 is really good stuff ----   believe me it makes a difference  to have quality " tools " to work with  

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out.