Tobor1

09 Rancher fpa

Hello folks , New here and new to the ATV world,  Daughter bought a 21 Rubicon so i grabbed a 09 rancher (simply because i don't have RN money) so worked for 3 weeks  hit the mud  because i didn't have a choice on Sunday night ,15 min later Bike stopped dead    lights are out as in none at all and will not engage shift motor, when key is turned on it immediately blows main fuse 1 30 amp.  New Battery today , Starts great But blowing fuse main 1 ,  Any starting point i should be looking?   Thank You 

Edited by Tobor1

You have the service manual? If not, try to get one. 

no idea what’s causing it—maybe muddy connectors?

• Like 1

I pulled apart many today blew out  electrical cleaner and dielectric grease   ,not all  but ill start taking off plastic tomorrow i read there is one by front shock i cant et at and wiring harness.

Hi: Remove the Fan fuse and try the 30 amp fuse again

Big welcome Here

• Like 2

I'll ask this because it does happen.... there is no rodent damage on this bike (wires chewed up) ? 

welcome to the forums. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

Not that I have seen.  It has to be a water / mud issue.   It did sit for 3 years but that’s basically all the history I have    .  No. Sleeping tonight I guess. Got it in my head now.  Lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

okay thank you, i wouldn't worry too much i have yet to see an issue these guys couldn't  figure out :) just takes time, and you have come to the right place. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tobor1 said:

15 min later Bike stopped dead    lights are out as in none at all and will not engage shift motor,

you say stopped dead ? the engine shut down too ? 

10 hours ago, Tobor1 said:

Starts great But blowing fuse main 1

but now it starts and keeps blowing that fuse ? 

thank you! . if it starts now, might could run water over just certain areas (one at at time) of the bike till it shuts off again, to help narrow this down. was this a deep plunge you went into ? 

Battery was toast. No amps. New one installed. Started right away.  Did with my booster pack also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

does the new battery hold a charge now, and that fuse only blows when you fire the bike up ? OR, blows when you try shifting it, or using the lights etc ? 

These newer EFI machines MUST have a good battery or they will throw all kinds of problems at you.

So is it no longer blowing the fuse?

• Like 1

the battery has been in all night . . It's still starting bike and fully chared .the  fuse blows as soon as key is in on position  before i start bike.. im assumin the main 1 30 amp fuse controls headlights shift motor ect   .  bike still starts and i can manually put it in gear 

Edited by Tobor1
  • Thanks 1

just tried  same  fuse blew

Edited by Tobor1

Hi: This is a 2009 TRX420 FPA? blowing the main fuse 1 ??  --  Looking at the electrical print it show the Main 2 fuse feeding the lights.

• Thanks 1

its this fuse , with that being said  headlights and to  power to shift motor are my main issues with the blowing fuse  . it may be entirely possible lights are a completely separate issue ,  

Okay-- Unplug the 5 pin connector on the PCM -- located behind the battery -- try again -- leave the two 33 pin connectors in place

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i will in the morning   thank you for your time and advice we appreciate it 

2 quick things I would try is the fuel pump relay and the regulator/rectifier. Just unplug them and see if the fuse blows still. I've also had issues with the bank angle sensor where it would blow the fuse.

You didn't by chance get a voltage reading at the battery while it was running? A bad voltage regulator can put out 18+ volts to cause issues. I'm just guessing the other battery went bad while riding it and that is why I ask on that one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1