Tobor1

09 Rancher fpa

Hi: Remove the test light from the fuse holder --- go to the 5 pin connector -- meter on ohms scale -- check for continuity from the R/W wire to neg. of battery. Key Off 

• Like 2

R/ w to neg.  O/L.  No reading

Edited by Tobor1

Go to where the 30 amp fuse main 1 with your meter check for 12 vdc -- black meter lead on neg. of battery -- red meter lead -- find which spot in the 30 amp main 1 holder has12 vdc on it -- the other spot should be dead.  IF it is dead put your meter on the ohms scale and check from the dead stop (NOT THE LIVE SPOT) to the R/W wire on the 6 pin connector -- you should have continuity 

• Like 2

From the Right side of the use holder to the R/W wire on the 5 pin connector should read zero.  Un tape the wires at the fuse box and see what going on there. see which wire is getting hot.

• Like 2

So it’s not suppose to read .32.  That could be the problem?

• Like 1

I peeled back wires everything looks clean but then again it would have to be something obvious as I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking for other than a burn or break.  

I am busy working on a can-am now --will get back to you

• Like 2

Leaving the cam-am for now ---- Let's start with is there any wiring on this bike that's been added like hand warmers, lights, winch and so on.

Key off -- make sure your test light works -- place your test light into the 2 slots where the 30 amp main 1 fuse goes -- the light should not light up. Does it?

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2

Yes there were handwarmers on it and a thumb warmer but they were all destroyed so I remove them come to think of it the day this happened

Leave your test light in place and start plugging things back in noting when the light gets brighter -- key off at all times

• Like 2

Look for out-of-place wires connected to the battery, fuse box and harness—even inside the headlight switch. 

Sometimes people use those quick connectors which damage the insulation. Or wire stuff to the inside of the control switch assemblies.
Even though you think you did, You may have not removed everything installed by the PO

• Like 2

What ever it was or is -- has to be connected to the main 1 30 amp fuse. Key doesn't have to be on when the fuse blows

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2

Same.  Fuse blew immediately.  Will look at all wiring in daytime.  Thank you for your help

• Like 2

Hi: Check for continuity between the 2 spots in the red -- should be no continuity 

E7B326DD-DFC3-495E-9401-151455F9AC2D.thumb.jpeg.21e54855ff0c248b5e829bfe1dd37c7d.jpeg

Edited by Melatv
  • Like 2