Tobor1

09 Rancher fpa

sorry for the late reply ,  back to paving today ,late nights .  had my buddy drop bike off at the shop today , i do really appreciate you time and help and i cant thank you enough. I folded under pressure  from my daughter to get it fixed .  again thank you. 

• Like 2

Not going anywhere lol  this is a great site   and i certainly will

• Like 2

not so much a break as it is my ! is dragging from driving all day . not as young as i used to be.  lol

• Haha 1

Black Gold.....  asphalt.  drive in circles all day and smell like diesel  

• Like 2

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

plus side ? the smell and driving the same area... (avoiding difficult traffic conditions) 

ever drive in Cape Breton ?  lol

• Haha 1

Apparently four week old CDI box is bad badWith that being said anybody have a CDI box for a rancher 420 FPA for sale

RockymountainATV is likely going to be your cheapest option for new OEM.

You might CALL powersportsnation and see if they have one.  They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but on the phone sometimes they'll work with you a little on price, especially if their used price isn't far off of the new price.

Go back and reread the post, he said that's what you want " should be no continuity ".

yes i did ,  fuse not blowing now ,  still no shift motor  just a line across where N should be  . Also no trouble code .CDI box is bad is what the mechanic said.

I wonder if the mechanic did the last part in the service manual. Install a known good part and see if it fixes the problem. If he did then I would see about warranty on the new one that is bad.

• Like 3

i can say he did put a good one he had on to try from a 2012 420 with an electronic shift |( not automatic)  and N poped up   not the dreaded --

Hi: Would do this for me when you have a chance.

Check the continuity on the 5 pin connector as shown --- leave one meter lead on pin 1 at all times. Yes for continuity --- No for no continuity.

1 to 2 = 

1 to 3 =

1 to 4 =

1 to 5 =

E7B326DD-DFC3-495E-9401-151455F9AC2D.thumb.jpeg.21e54855ff0c248b5e829bfe1dd37c7d (1).jpeg

• Like 1

Something caused those blown fuzes I don’t think it was CDI. I’ve been wrong many times though.

if you want the tech to replace the CDI then if it pops again—

I'll say this @Tobor1, three times I have gone through the diagnosis procedures in the factory service manual to get to the "bad CDI"  only to replace the CDI and find the problem was not resolved.

In all three instances it was a poor connection.  I would hang with Melatv for a few more tests before I bought a new CDI, since they are non-returnable.

• Like 2

I’m not going anywhere definitely go to hang in He knows his stuff for sure

• Like 2

As long as your tech knows the whole story then he/she can look for strange doings also.

My guess is there’s a loose pin in a backshell. Those accessories were probably piggybacked to a wire. I’d be looking for an odd taping job.

• Like 2

For example, my 06 Foreman threw a TPS (throttle position sensor) code over and over again.  I checked everything and everything checked out, so the end in the FSM is "BAD ECU, REPLACE" which I did.  S

Still got a TPS error code.   Took the ECU connectors back apart and thoroughly cleaned everything, and then plugged and unplugged from the new ECU several times and the code went away.   Tried plugging the old ECU back in, and lo and behold, the code went away and hasn't ever come back. 

Loose/ slightly dirty connection somewhere up there was causing my issue.

6 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

ageed ^^^^ might even post us a few pics up, if you can ? 

absolutely.  name a part or connection and i will be happy to post pics  ,  really have no idea what im looking for .