Repsolking

2011 trx420 dct es clutch slipping

Anyone know how the adjust clutch in these models. It was having shifting issues I replace all sensors now it shifts fine but barely move when throttle is press hard. Oil level is perfect. 

Heard Melatv was a mastermind with these models

Welcome aboard.

If you look at the top of the page right below the header, there is a "service manuals" that is a link to free factory service manual downloads in PDF format.  That should help you in the future, so download it.

Now, to your 420FA, there isn't a clutch adjustment on these like the Footshift/ES machines.  They run off of oil pressure, so if your oil level is low, they won't pull well.  First thing to do is to make sure the oil is full, which you've done.  Next is to make sure that the oil is proper wet clutch approved (JASO MA rated) oil.  If it is, then you'll likely have to do an oil pressure test.  If it's not JASO MA rated oil, it will cause your clutches to slip and ruin them.

These FA's have a weird (to me) feel to them with clutch engagement, and I actually bought all new clutches (centrifugal and change) for the wife's thinking hers were worn out, but after riding other DCT Ranchers it appears that the perceived "slipping" I was feeling is just the nature of the design.  That said, if yours barely moves when the throttle is pressed hard, that's obviously not normal.

On the other board you mentioned it going into limp mode, which is likely an electrical issue.  That's where @Melatv goes way over my head in diagnosing electrical gremlins.  I'm trying to work through one of those now on the wife's 09 DCT and I think I've (with Mel's help) narrowed it down to an aftermarket "speedo healer/ shift module" that I installed with a gear reduction.

Where are you located?  I have an oil pressure fitting and gauge if you're in my general area (unlikely, but figured I'd throw it out there).

• Like 1

I'm in Louisiana. I replaced the sensors so it shifts fine now. I didn't know about the oil. I will check to see what's in it. What oil do you use

• Like 1

I use Rotella T6 5W40 in mine.  Blue jug.  Rotella T4 (white jug) 15W40 is also JASO MA rated.  The Rotella T5 blend is NOT JASO MA rated, so don't use that one. 

Valvoline makes a motorcycle oil sold at most auto parts places and walmart that works great as well.  Mobil 4T.  Honda oil.  Lots of options out there.

As long as the weight is correct (30 or 40 weight for those of us in the South) and it has "JASO MA" (or JASO MA2) in the certifications on the back of the bottle it should be fine to use. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Repsolking said:

I'm in Louisiana. I replaced the sensors so it shifts fine now. I didn't know about the oil. I will check to see what's in it. What oil do you use

Which sensors did you replace?  LOL  Quite a few of them on these DCT Ranchers.