texas123

Another stupid 3 wheeler

Well, I found and bought another Honda Big Red. This one was not running at all, and it was making a weird noise after the starter turned. Guy had it in storage for a while & I think he used it as a submarine on the San Jacinto River near Houston. Anyway, There was mud in the airbox (and everywhere else), but it came with a bunch of extra stuff. I'll try getting it running soon but the heat index is over 100*, so I'll probably do a little at a time or try to flip it.

IMG_3034.jpg

• Like 7

Man it sure looks clean!  I'd have jumped on that one too, even though I probably couldn't ride it without dying.

• Like 4

Nice. It might have a starter side One-way clutch going bad? Don’t know if these have

Pull the starter gear cover and check to make sure the teeth on the gears are there. Some of them would break a tooth and make a bad noise

• Like 2

Flipped it after I got it running; made a quick $1,400. Nasty carb, stinky fuel, black oil in engine & rear diff, rotten spark plug & ground connections were no good, mud & dirt everywhere, including the airbox, smoked a lot after a few minutes of running, all the plastics were damaged. Not a good keeper at all, unless you do a full restoration. I was looking at a Kawasaki Duckster last month; it's still available too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texas123 said:

Flipped it after I got it running; made a quick $1,400. Nasty carb, stinky fuel, black oil in engine & rear diff, rotten spark plug & ground connections were no good, mud & dirt everywhere, including the airbox, smoked a lot after a few minutes of running, all the plastics were damaged. Not a good keeper at all, unless you do a full restoration. I was looking at a Kawasaki Duckster last month; it's still available too!

Duckster eh... if the seat is original, thatd be a cool snag. Niche market though, but i'd take one.

I never knew what a Duckster was , had to have a look , never did see one of them before , maybe they didn't sell down here  image.png

How many CC's was that Duck , engine looks huge , like a 500 , the bike looks a lot like the Yamaha from back then , what were they called Tri-Moto or  Tecati 

3 hours ago, texas123 said:

i hated to see you get rid of the first one you had, now that was a show room bike! sure enough a collectors dream, I'll have to look that thread back up. 

congrats on the sell. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

1983 and around then. One year the seat was camo. Exact same as the KLT200 with a manual clutch.  

duck.jpg

• Like 1

The original Tecate 3 was released in 1984. The name recalled the rugged terrain of Baja, and this machine had the performance to match. High-tech features included a liquid-cooled 249 cm 2-stroke engine, a large-capacity fuel tank, powerful front and rear disc brakes, and lightweight aluminum wheels mounting computer-designed tyres.
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The original Tecate 3 was released in 1984. The name recalled the rugged terrain of Baja, and this machine had the performance to match. High-tech features included a liquid-cooled 249 cm 2-stroke engine, a large-capacity fuel tank, powerful front and rear disc brakes, and lightweight aluminum wheels mounting computer-designed tyres.

Yea i have a 1983 ATV buyers guide (still). They actually came out in late summer 83, & were only available in red lol... why.. WHY! 

That one in the pic is a bit of a mixed breed....even the rims arent OEM. I never did see a real one sadly.... 😕

This may be the next one. I think it's super small with a 200cc engine, manual clutch, 5 speed and no suspension. My knees will be in between my elbows on this ridiculous thing if I get it. Like ATC4ever said, it's just a KLT200 with "camo" stickers on it. Plus, I think it's  fun to take road trips & meet new people.

231456652_235583065105866_4235203081662653558_n.jpg

There was one in mint condition for sale here a few years ago, but it was like, $2500 or something, i would buy it in a heart beat, but not at that price. I hope that one is a good deal for you.

12 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

There was one in mint condition for sale here a few years ago, but it was like, $2500 or something, i would buy it in a heart beat, but not at that price. I hope that one is a good deal for you.

He wants $800, but I think he would drop the price if I asked. I'm just planning on pay full price though since it seems fair.

• Thanks 1

This one took a few hours to get running. 1985 Honda ATC 125M for $1,000.

I had to make a silly air filter out of microfiber cloth, which is probably giving me a rich condition, so I had to screw in the fuel/air screw all the way in to get the fastest idle speed. Would this cause the idle to stay high temporarily after giving it gas? This bike was designed for grown men, and it's smaller than my daughters Suzuki 90 atv.

Anyway, I may restore this one as well since it's all there.

65359578854__924C5064-74BE-498E-967F-646F7701C1F9.jpg

• Like 4

Just picked up a bike from West Texas last week that wasn't running and covered in 1" of Odessa, TX white dust. It was from a farm in Colorado & the original owner died, so the kids sold the ranch with 2 barns full of agriculture equipment to a family West Texas (I'm trying to get a vintage snow mobile from the same family, but they want too much for it). The Texas family didn't want it, so I grabbed it up and got it clean and running. Anyway, it's an '85 250SX in all original condition. It hasn't ever been touched it looks like. Came with the sales receipt for $2565 and 1985 title. Runs perfect after fluids, carb, valves, plug, clutch adjustment...just a couple of days worth of work really.

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, texas123 said:

Just picked up a bike from West Texas last week that wasn't running and covered in 1" of Odessa, TX white dust. It was from a farm in Colorado & the original owner died, so the kids sold the ranch with 2 barns full of agriculture equipment to a family West Texas (I'm trying to get a vintage snow mobile from the same family, but they want too much for it). The Texas family didn't want it, so I grabbed it up and got it clean and running. Anyway, it's an '85 250SX in all original condition. It hasn't ever been touched it looks like. Came with the sales receipt for $2565 and 1985 title. Runs perfect after fluids, carb, valves, plug, clutch adjustment...just a couple of days worth of work really.

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

WOW that thing is clean!

Friend's older brother had one of those back in the 80's.  He bought it new, and sold it probably 1990 or so, still in mint condition.