F250 guy

Steering lower bearing. 300 fourtrax

Well got the snap ring out finally a few questions though.

Is the bearing race hardened, I hit a rust ring and can't get the bearing to pull out or budge. Feels like a 2nd ring, it's a gap I can put my fingernail in, is this normal when you pull one part on a 2WD 300? That whatever is is is stopping me from pulling the bearing. If it's a rust ridge would heat n quench with a torch compromise the bearing race? I'm almost out of ideas but puzzled by if that is a rust ring or something else. 

Help requested. 😁

IMG_20210904_155119.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

Since the snap ring is out, get a bigger hammer. Since you probably can't hit it square make sure to work your way around the bearing. An air hammer usually will drive them right out. It will come out the side the snap ring was on.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Hi: There is a snap ring in there

A 2nd one, the original is in pieces on the floor. So what could this be then? 

8 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Since the snap ring is out, get a bigger hammer. Since you probably can't hit it square make sure to work your way around the bearing. An air hammer usually will drive them right out. It will come out the side the snap ring was on.

Makes sense but when u hit solid u can't go anywhere, Mel thinks there's a snap ring, the only one I got out that I could see is in the floor, so I'm confused as to what that is on top of the bearing. Going to see if I can pry it out with a screwdriver. The object above the bearing. 

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

in your pic, that looks to me like the groove the snap-ring locks in. 

I figured that out about the 5th time of trying to get the bearing out. New plan PB Blaster and a week of soaking well spray it tomorrow and let it sit a week while I'm mowing and weedeating all week. Rust ring should b gone. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

yeah, i read up on your other thread, keep us updated, and post some pics. 

https://atvhonda.com/topic/1540-steering-lower-bearing-300-fourtrax/?tab=comments#comment-47894

Sorry just now seen you guys wanted pictures. Phone was dead. Welp got it in but the darn steering is tight when stopped but fairly better when moving. Even jacked it up both wheels off the ground and still very tight.

So what I did and where I'm at so far. 

Greased the upper bushing like making a cake, snugged upper bushing bolts all the way backed off 1/2 turn. Checked grandpa's 300 and the shaft nut was one thread above the cotter pin hole, that helped get what I think is the up n down free play, other than that I'm going crazy. Karma I guess lol doubt it. Started the new bearing straight n square. Pulled the old one with washers and a grade 5 bolt.  Didn't have pullers do pulled it out n put the new one in with a ball peen hammer and washers socket that was the same size after it was down enough. 

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Tempkin bearing, that G&H Discount ATV SUPPLY one doesn't feel right.

IMG_20210906_170122.jpg

IMG_20210906_170104.jpg

IMG_20210906_170048.jpg

IMG_20210906_170006.jpg

IMG_20210906_165927.jpg

Edited by F250 guy
  • Haha 1

and you drove the new bearing in by the outer race and not the inner ? i would take the the tie rod ball joints back off the yoke and check again. thanks for the update. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

and you drove the new bearing in by the outer race and not the inner ? i would take the the tie rod ball joints back off the yoke and check again. thanks for the update. 

Will do and yea I did. I took the whole yoke tie rods n all at once off. You guys ever have that kinda thing happen?

Edited by F250 guy

13 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Even jacked it up both wheels off the ground and still very tight.

So what I did and where I'm at so far. 

put the new one in with a ball peen hammer and washers socket that was the same size after it was down enough. 

I

You may have damaged the new bearing when you installed it 

10 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Will do and yea I did. I took the whole yoke tie rods n all at once off. You guys ever have that kinda thing happen?

okay, if you didnt drive it in just using the outer race chances are the bearing was damaged. you don't need that much grease / lube on the upper steering stem bushing, but it will not hurt anything! 

Edited by _Wilson_™
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

You may have damaged the new bearing when you installed it 

Let's keep that thought open and if I accidentally did, is there a factory bearing tool or better than what an old farm boy has? Just asking.

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

okay, if you didnt drive it in just using the outer race chances are the bearing was damaged. you don't need that much grease / lube on the upper steering stem bushing, but it will not hurt anything! 

How much normally, I was told slather it on lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, F250 guy said:

How much normally, I was told slather it on lol.

no it's fine as is, but a coating on the out side of the bushing (between the clamp, and bushing, and the same on the inside shaft to bushing contact) but what you have is fine, it will never run shy of lube, that's forsure! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no it's fine as is, but a coating on the out side of the bushing (between the clamp, and bushing, and the same on the inside shaft to bushing contact) but what you have is fine, it will never run shy of lube, that's forsure! 

Oops lol

What would you recommend for an install tool, not much room underneath cause of the small exit for a standard bearing tool. But I'll tackle it next weekend.  What's the Tempkin bearing alternative if you know of one? 

Edited by F250 guy

26 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

no.... not without installing new tie rod / upper and lower ball joints, my best description would be a slightly snug steering, but not tight. on a 2wd. 

2 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

What would you recommend for an install tool, not much room underneath cause of the small exit for a standard bearing tool. But I'll tackle it next weekend.  What's the Tempkin bearing alternative if you know of one? 

a socket that fits the outer race, or cold chisel / hammer  (strike the outer race only) and drive it in squarely. 

46 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Started the new bearing straight n square.

^^^^^

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

no.... not without installing new tie rod / upper and lower ball joints, my best description would be a slightly snug steering, but not tight. on a 2wd. 

By yoke I mean the assembly the center tie rods bolt to. I took it off as an assembly tie rods bolted to it n let the whole thing drop down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

a socket that fits the outer race, or cold chisel / hammer  (strike the outer race only) and drive it in squarely. 

^^^^^

I'll look for a socket and offset snap ring pliers when I get another bearing. Thank you 😁 I put the clip end of the snap ring towards the engine so that'll give a little more room . 

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

your welcome! glad to help. 

Question, sticking to the damaged bearing thought, if a man didn't have the right socket for the outer race and only washers, what effects on the middle race would after hitting the outer race to get it down enough to get a washer on it, "OH CRAP" I did have to hit center my washer wasn't the exact size, now I know get the right socket, don't just scrounge in the parts drawer. But hey done what I could with what I had not best thing but tried 1000% to be very gentle. Once it was in there I went around the outside best I could. 

Lesson learned get right size socket or tools. 

Dumb dumb me

Edited by F250 guy

nah, not dumb.... not at at all, see it as a learning experience ;)  when you remove the steering shaft, check the bearing for smooth rotation, before doing anything else, lets be sure installation could be the issue. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

nah, not dumb.... not at at all, see it as a learning experience ;)  when you remove the steering shaft, check the bearing for smooth rotation, before doing anything else, lets be sure installation could be the issue. 

Got that right but what's a farmer with no tools supposed to do lol, but yea I'm actually thinking of a new tool upgrade for the garage anyway. But I'll start with some good hand tools. You couldn't loan a guy $20,000.00 for a garage overhaul could ya lol. I think internal master cylinder pliers will do the trick. I'll update when I can. 

Edited by F250 guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1