F250 guy

Steering lower bearing. 300 fourtrax

20 grand ?? well.... i could.... how about advise instead ?? :) you'd be surprised at what you can score at a pawn shop (tools) have you any steel pipe around ? same diameter as the outer bearing race ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

20 grand ?? well.... i could.... how about advise instead ?? :) you'd be surprised at what you can score at a pawn shop (tools) have you any steel pipe around ? same diameter as the outer bearing race ?

I'll look and check but I think all we have heavy colvert and steel pipe. And I'll look at some pawn shops, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

glad to help.... but first check the newly installed bearing for smooth rotation (with the tie rod ends off the yoke) IF ? you have to install a new bearing, (and I'm shocked no one thought of this) pop that new bearing in the freezer for a while and install it quickly.... the reason i bring up steel pipe is, you can cut that and make a bearing installing tool just for this job, and it won't cost you a thing, but just a bit of work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

glad to help.... but first check the newly installed bearing for smooth rotation (with the tie rod ends off the yoke) IF ? you have to install a new bearing, (and I'm shocked no one thought of this) pop that new bearing in the freezer for a while and install it quickly.... the reason i bring up steel pipe is, you can cut that and make a bearing installing tool just for this job, and it won't cost you a thing, but just a bit of work. 

I don't know why I didn't think of that either, and how long, never froze a bearing before?

right off hand ? maybe 15-20 minutes ? i did planter press wheel bushings, but i would store those in the freezer for weeks.... and use them as needed, my thinking is it wouldn't take long at all for that small bearing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I leave bearings and ball joints in the freezer as soon as they come in.  Normally give them at least 24 hours to make sure they are full frozen LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

@F250 guy how did you come out on the bearing install ? 

Didn't get a chance to recheck it. It's tight think I might've hit more in the center, didn't have a 30mm socket I think that's the size of the bearing. I had the washers and bolt I pulled it out with and a ball peen hammer.

sounds like you hit both the center and outer race installing it, if the inner race is tight on rotating. I'd say yes the bearing is damaged.