Bigraymac

Honda foreman 450

Hi guys my Honda foreman 450 is only on 2 wheel drive 4x4 not working.

Is this an expensive fix. What might the problem be*?

Also the speedometer is blank there's a blurry light that's all. Can I buy a cheap replacement or get it repaired. 

Edited by Bigraymac

Hi: Big Welcome Here -- t

Edited by Melatv

Hi Bigraymac, and welcome to the Forum!

Your 4wd not working could be a few things

Just to be sure, yours is an 2002 or newer with the 4WD switch on the right handlebar and led indicator on speedometer, correct?

I would start by downloading the Service manual here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

Your 4wd indicator should flash 2-6 times which is a code, use below chart to pinpoint fault

image.png

Section 22 in the service manual can help you to repair the fault, once you determine what it is

let us know what you find out

Also, I can repair your speedometer if you are interested, I sent you my contact information as well

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Hey Big, welcome to the forum.  It would help to have more info on your Honda, like year and model.  The early 450's were full time 4 WD while the later, I think 2002, on had a lockout switch installed.  So year and model make a Big difference.....

Ha AKATV beat me to it.....lol

• Like 1

Thanks for reply. I'm not actually certain of year. It's one I kinda bought blind took a chance on it. Cash buy. I'll upload a photo. Pretty certain it's a model that's constant 4x4. .I previously had Honda big red 300 2 wheel drive

41 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Hi Bigraymac, and welcome to the Forum!

Your 4wd not working could be a few things

Just to be sure, yours is an 2002 or newer with the 4WD switch on the right handlebar and led indicator on speedometer, correct?

I would start by downloading the Service manual here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15eWwngQ5SdlsIfbgpm5ZJWJYBYx3vJ7s

Your 4wd indicator should flash 2-6 times which is a code, use below chart to pinpoint fault

image.png

Section 22 in the service manual can help you to repair the fault, once you determine what it is

let us know what you find out

Also, I can repair your speedometer if you are interested, I sent you my contact information as well

-AKATV

46 minutes ago, Bigraymac said:

If yours is a full time 4x4  (98-01) then depending on which 2 wheels are not driving,

you could have a stripped rear axle (pretty common due to water getting into axle tube through left rear wheel bearing seal and rusting out the axle splines)

or a stripped or broken u-joint or bad pinion/ring gear in the rear differential

if its the front wheels not working I would guess that you might have a stripped out front drive shaft of differential issues

Let us know what you find out

Ok, If you can see if the front driveshaft is turning, then I would suspect that the front splined cup where it connects to the input shaft of the front differential

is most likely stripped out, they get water in there and rust out, similar to the rear axle splines

You can pick one up on ebay or similar for fairly cheap and replace the seal and grease it up, it will last a long time

Sometimes its just the splined cup and sometimes its both the drive shaft splines and the cup depending on how long it was driven in bad shape

Edited by AKATV

Bigray, the serial number should be stamped on the front frame, I'm trying to find which number designates the year of your 450...

Serial number.jpg

• Like 1

The 10th serial number digit designates the year.  This should cover your 450 I would think....  

1998-W

1999-X

2000-Y

2001-1

2002-2

2003-3

2004-4

• Like 1