Bossdaddy

2002 Honda Rancher Wheel and Lug Nuts

A friend has got a Rancher that he needs to get the wheels off of but he has no lug wrench, the lugs look like they may take a large allen wrench, I've never seen lugs like this and know nothing about them. They may be old type Vision wheels. Has anybody got any ideas on what to use to get them off? He has had it for about 2 years and got no lug wrench with it when he bought it. 

IMG_2085.jpg

My first guess would be 10MM allen , then 8 MM allen , but a couple look stripped , they make some sockets for removing stripped nuts or lugs , it may come down to having some of them -----    I would just weld nuts to them if they were tight and throw them away afterwards 

image.png

depending on what tools he has to use.... looks like it MIGHT ?? be enough of the 3 lugs protruding to use vise grip pliers, to get them broke loose and off, i agree I'd toss them, i like the wheels he's has. how many of these Allen head lugs does he have on each of the 4 wheels to deal with ??

image.jpg

I don't have a allen wrench that big but maybe I can buy one if I can come up with the size. I don't think I have enough room for vice grips but I will try that for sure. Welding a nut on them will work just hoping for something quicker and easier. There is 3 of these nuts on each wheel, the forth lug was probably a special nut that was probably changed out years ago. Either way these nuts are gone for sure. Thanks guys and anybody else that has any ideas. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Melatv, good to hear from you, Thanks for info. Wilson, I don't think they are messed up to bad but hadn't checked them out real close.

• Like 1

That’s a new one for me. I haven’t ever seen Lugnuts like that. Good luck getting them off! Looks like a PITA

• Like 2

jeep, same here, the guys were right, it is 12mm. A 12mm hex bolt fits it perfectly, good and snug. I looking to buy one a tool now, I think they will come out pretty easy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Hi Melatv, good to hear from you, Thanks for info. Wilson, I don't think they are messed up to bad but hadn't checked them out real close.

sure glad to help. 

52 minutes ago, Bossdaddy said:

Sorry, I forgot to go on and post the pictures of the tool. 

IMG_2128.jpgIMG_2127.jpg

if all else fails ?, you could also use a torx bit hammered down inside those allen heads, they get a good bite, and will remove most stripped out allen heads.

4 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

Thanks shadetree, always good to know little tricks to use later.

you are welcome. i've learned a few tricks through my 30 yrs of doing this kinda work..lol.