JRB

98 450es - won't rev up

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

There are no micro switches on the 450s  I have  ,   which are a 2000 S and a 2002 FM , both are foot shift 

Well there should be at least one for the brake light switches.  Just curious if they cause the cutting out like the newer machines do if the switch is faulty. 

Of course, unplugging the wires to the switch would effectively bypass it.

2 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well there should be at least one for the brake light switches.  Just curious if they cause the cutting out like the newer machines do if the switch is faulty. 

Of course, unplugging the wires to the switch would effectively bypass it.

no brake light switches on a 450 

7 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Only the ES and Fe models have the reverse switch , it's wire runs to the ecu 

Hmmmm, the symptoms he's giving (smooth idle but rough if you give it throttle) with a new OEM carb sounds like that cut out that the newer models have.  How does that reverse switch work on the 450's?

53 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Hmmmm, the symptoms he's giving (smooth idle but rough if you give it throttle) with a new OEM carb sounds like that cut out that the newer models have.  How does that reverse switch work on the 450's?

No clue , it is only on the es/fe models , not on the s/fm models , maybe it makes the indicator show R 

Well duh.  I knew you didn't have an ES.   Don't know why I tagged you.  Guess because I'm a moron.

Hay Fishfiles, Jeepwm69 - the reverse light is always on. I couldn't see what the meter said until Akatv fixed me up. Now the meter shows what gear i'm in. neutral light works now ( Akatv fixed that). but even with the reverse light always on, the bike ran great ( - the terrible engine noise) . I just got a message that the new wire harness will be here sat. let me hit you guys up when I get that done. we can go from there if you will. Thanks!

1 hour ago, JRB said:

Hay Fishfiles, Jeepwm69 - the reverse light is always on. I couldn't see what the meter said until Akatv fixed me up. Now the meter shows what gear i'm in. neutral light works now ( Akatv fixed that). but even with the reverse light always on, the bike ran great ( - the terrible engine noise) . I just got a message that the new wire harness will be here sat. let me hit you guys up when I get that done. we can go from there if you will. Thanks!

which wiring harness are you going  far ,  ES/FE  or S/FM ----  are you staying with the foot shift by-pass on a ES model 

Here is the print of the wiring , one side the reverse switch goes to the display and the other side  to the ecu fullsizeoutput_f15.jpeg

Thanks. I can see right now y my fan doesn't work. The green wire to the carb heater is burnt. Noticed that when I replaced the carb. 

• Like 2

Gentleman I got an update!  Installed a new wire harness (pain in the __)  we now have a quad that will rev up!!!!. I still have issues, lol  Fan doesn't come on, reverse light flickers, unless it's in reverse. then its bright. neutral light is always on. gear indicator only reads  R, N, 1, and 5. es system not working . waiting on my by-pass unit to come. But hay its Useable. P.S. motor runs Great! - no clanging and banging. Thanks for all your help! Much Appreciated. 

Edited by JRB
spelling
  • Like 3

Sounds like you might have an issue with your gear position switch, do you have the service manual? as it had the checks in it for that

Fan is pretty easy to troubleshoot, I would apply 12vdc to the motor to confirm it works, then you just need to check temp sensor and fan control module

Does you high temp light come on for a second or two when you first turn the key on? If so, FCU is probably good and you can try grounding the blue wire that

unplugs behind right rear fender close to to the stator and gear position plugs, if you ground it and fan comes on, your fan and fan control are good and you just want to check your temp sensor on bottom of engine

I think you could get the ES working, not a big fan of the bypass kits, but keep us updated and good luck!

Thanks AKATV, I have a manual. I put 12vdc to the fan and it works. high temp light only came on once - when I first put oil / oil pump in.( that was with the old wire harness.) I haven't seen the light since. should the light come on every time when the key is turned on? What are your concerns about the by-pass system? ( that hasn't come yet). I can't get back to the bike till this weekend. then I will start checking for what you referred to. I don't like the looks of the wires going to the reverse switch ether. I will be able to see more once I get it back up in the air. Thanks for your input, get back with you then.   

3 hours ago, JRB said:

high temp light only came on once - when I first put oil / oil pump in.( that was with the old wire harness.) I haven't seen the light since. should the light come on every time when the key is turned on? 

what usually happens is when you turn the ignition on ,  the high temp light should  come on a for a couple of seconds ,  then go out , guess you would call it a temperature circuit / light bulb check period 

• Like 1

Hay Fishfiles, temp light does come on temporarily, ( I'm like a kid in a candy store - don't see the container just the candy) lol. I did what AKATV said. ground the blue wire above the RR tire, and the fan comes on. I checked the sub harness on the thermo sensor and it has continuity. I bet the sensor is bad. If I have to go thru all the trouble to remove it, ( drop the skid plate) I might as well replace it and the sub harness also, harness looks in bad shape. I installed the shift by-pass unit and it shifts with the buttons now. I believe the change switch is also bad. speedometer sensor assy. seems to be ok as it shows speed on the meter. Hopefully this is the last thing the bike needs to work as originally designed. living here in Michigan i'm also on the hunt for a snowplow. Additional comments welcome.   Thanks for all your guys's Help!!!

• Like 1

Just remember JRB when you pull the oil temp sensor it might be a good time to change the oil.  Otherwise when you pull it you will be draining the oil...lol.  I cant remember the setting but there is a resistance it should read when pulled, it's in the manual.  That should LYK if its bad.  But I agree if you took the trouble to remove it change it.....

rev's light always on ?, sounds like a bad gear position switch to me ?. es model ?..SELL IT !..lol.

Thanks guy's, both are on there way.