Fishfiles

94 TRX300A 2WD

This one was given to me " free " by a buddy that I do work on his Bobcat , 10th digit of the vin mak es it a 94  , the rear end bearings are gone and the pinion /ring gears are making noise but  still drove it's self off the trailer  , starts up by the starter with one push of the button , doesn't smoke , the front end is tight , carb float is sticking and overflowing  ------ noticed the fenders have no holes for mud flares so the plastic must be from a early first gen and in pretty good shape ------ not sure of it's fate at the moment -----  got a few 250 rear ends in the parts dept , could stick one under it and make it a guest bike , might have to start up a rental program 

TfDZKIjzQ9Kt+e5z1011CQ.jpg

K0shbzXZQy+A5MOwi50DrA.jpg

• Like 4

Its complete and in good condition, thats a rare 300 nowadays.

• Like 1

The 2x4 didn't get fender flares until 1996. It looks good especially for the price and they are easy to work on (besides building the special nut tool on the pinion gear).

• Like 1

fish, most 2wd models never got mud flares, from what I know of ?, honda did not start putting flares on the trx300's until they made them 4wd models. great score !!!.

• Like 1

I had someone give me a 95 2wd a while back. Misding rear end, top end, and a few other odds and ends. 

Think I’m still going to make a guest bike out of it (I like that term Fish lol)

• Like 2

My former Yamaha Big Bear 400 owner / buddy came over this weekend , he just sold his  400 which was ragged out bad in my eyes and got $800 for his bike and trailer , so he's got some fresh play around money in his pocket and says he just has to have this 300  as he wants a 2wd water bike to put his 27s on ( he is going to need a lift kit for that )  , told him to take it for $300 like it is , then  he says if I repair just the rear end , he will give me $800 , so that is the plan , $300 for the bike and  $500 to repair or build and install him a 300 rear end , he wanted me to fix him up with a 250 rear end but that ain't going to happen for $500 -------  I have a used ring and  pinion gear , housings and axles  , from the sound of  it  , it is going to need a set of gears , I will have to buy bearings and seals , I never  do anything as a contract job , and I can almost bet that something is going to go wrong along the way as it usually does , brake drum frozen to the axle , housing bad , etc , -----  

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, toodeep said:

The 2x4 didn't get fender flares until 1996. It looks good especially for the price and they are easy to work on (besides building the special nut tool on the pinion gear).

That makes sense on the flares as all my 2wds are 96 and up , this one is a 94 --------  I know you can drill the holes and a little trimming and use either the smooth or hump back flares on the 2wds as I use to have  a 88 that I done that to  

I am going to have to take of pic of my rear end tools , most are  built , got the pinion retainer nut tool , 2 - 41mm open ends and one grinded thin for the axle nuts , 41mm hammer wrench , 3/4 drive extra deep dish socket for the stubborn axle nuts , blind bearing puller for the small pinion bearing , puller for the pinion and large pinion bearing , seal puller ,  I even have the pinion holder for undoing the pinion nut 

12 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I had someone give me a 95 2wd a while back. Misding rear end, top end, and a few other odds and ends. 

Think I’m still going to make a guest bike out of it (I like that term Fish lol)

Guest bike !  I like Rental Fleet better , but I'm lucky to get a 12 pack , LOL 

• Like 1

I was going to try to scrounge one of those but then decided I'd just not fool with the stock rears anymore so I won't need one.

Jeep , when you hit the flea markets or e-bay , keep your eye out  for a socket  41mm or 1 5/8 which is the same thing , the old school Snap-on socket I used to make mine actually has both sizes embossed into it , metric and US on the same socket you don't see that too often , cut it in half and weld a pipe in between the two pieces , you never know when you will need it , you more than anyone are always working on different things for different people 

I've more or less cut that out Fish.  I finally came to realize that at the rate I'm going I'll never finish my own stuff, much less so if I continue to be the charity mechanic for everyone else.

Saw a guy in a restaurant after church yesterday and he asked if I wanted to rebuild a 700 Pioneer for a friend of his.  I said "Not just no but ! NO"  He laughed because he remembered the fits our mutual friend's Rincon gave me.

My wife said "I'm proud of you for actually telling someone "No" when they asked you to fix something for them"

• Like 1

I hear you Jeep , I could start an atv repair business, so many people ask me to work on their stuff , I won't do  it , I don't care what they are willing to pay , or  care how easy or quick a job it is , every now and then I will let a friend come over and let him do the work and help him along , but even that is rare as it always turns into I would wind up doing most of the work  -----------  I stick to what I do as far as work goes , my Grandfather always told me , " do what you do well and stick to it " ------- but really I always have something to work on of my own and don't have time for others' projects , cause once you start doing it , everyone will be looking for the same deal , if I were to charge someone to work on their atv , it would be $100 per hour ,  same rate I get for working on heavy equipment , atvs are harder if you ask me  , Caterpillar Machinery around here charges $190 -$225 per hour for road service depending how far you are from their shop  , with travel time to and from their shop ----the atv dealers are right at $100 per hour 

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I hear you Jeep , I could start an atv repair business, so many people ask me to work on their stuff , I won't do  it , I don't care what they are willing to pay , or  care how easy or quick a job it is , every now and then I will let a friend come over and let him do the work and help him along , but even that is rare as it always turns into I would wind up doing most of the work  -----------  I stick to what I do as far as work goes , my Grandfather always told me , " do what you do well and stick to it " ------- but really I always have something to work on of my own and don't have time for others' projects , cause once you start doing it , everyone will be looking for the same deal , if I were to charge someone to work on their atv , it would be $100 per hour ,  same rate I get for working on heavy equipment , atvs are harder if you ask me  , Caterpillar Machinery around here charges $190 -$225 per hour for road service depending how far you are from their shop  , with travel time to and from their shop ----the atv dealers are right at $100 per hour 

my local dealership charges anywhere from 60-90 an hour here. I charge by the job, mainly because I love doing it !, but as my other thread spoke of this, its starting to wear on me...lol.

12 hours ago, toodeep said:

I have a special socket for those axle nuts as well. 

1012_zps6cbbc936.jpg

I've been meaning to make one of these but never seem to get around to it. Figure I'd just by the correct size impact socket and a length of pipe. make it happen. Socket is 41mm? I think. 

That's what's posted above, I would have to measure them again. I use to have a longer one yet for the 80s wheelers but it didnt make it out of the ashes. This one was made for the 300s and now 420s but it's about 2 inches short from working on the old 200s. I think we made this one in the early 90s so its turned a nut or 2 over the years. 

• Thanks 1

I got the $800 in my hand yesterday for this one yesterday and never even  started on the rear end , guess mu buddy is give me the nudge and he knows that other buddies want it too ------  I sweetened the deal for him and gave him a set of floor boards , so took them home and going to paint them up

this is really a nice 300 , I don't think it was ridden in the mud  at all , oils clean , don't smoke , all the steering , swingarm , balljoints are tight -------one problem with both found out yesterday , is it has  a very tiny battery , 1/3 the size of a OEM battery , so he has to dish out another $100 as he has a sound system and led lights to throw on the  bike , that little battery ain't going to get it ----  he is stoked on this bike , got all kinds of plans for it , we rolled his 27 swamplites over to it 

• Like 1

Buddy that bought this one was over yesterday and we got it up on the hoist and rear tires off , the oil in the diff is black, super creamy paste  and not much of it , looks to have never been changed , ever , still not sure what is locked up , it will turn and inch each way then lock , would guess teeth are broken and jammed up between the ring and pinion, can't see anything thru the fill hole , could also be the u-joint jamming up , which I hope it is the u-joint  as it might  be an easier/  quicker  fix 

Something else popped up for my boy , we tried his 27 Swamplites on the rear and they can work once he puts the floor boards on and pulls the fender forward a bit , but he is going to need to change the Yamaha rims or get wheel spacers so mo'money 

he is going to need some front shocks or the 2 inch lift blocks , not sure what the right shock would be for a 2 inch lift on a 1994 TRX300 2wd , do any of you'll ---- Where's Jeep been , he always seem to know things like that ----  

Buddy came over yesterday , we pull his rear end apart and found the housing blown out where the lower ( small ) pinion bearing was held in ,  so I have 4 - 300 rear ends complete in a pile , so we started pulling them apart , needed a brake backing plate , a good housing and ring and pinion , went thru two rear ends to get the parts need to build one out of all three ------ then our other buddy pulls up and says he has a ATC250ES rear end that he would sell him for $125 ( if I would have known he was selling that rear end , I would have been all over it for myself ) , so 2 hours of work we done was mostly for nothing , well not totally as his rear end had to come out and apart ,  and now I can go head and assemble them stock  rear end parts with some new bearings and seals and either keep it as a spare , sell it  , or use it on a another 4wd frame I have ---- 

so now I have to weld his rear end mount , which is a lot less work than building a rear end for him and I won't have to buy bearings and seals 

only pic I took , we got lucky with all the axle nuts , broke them loose with a hammer wrench then the Ryobi impact spun them off 

eWpNoifvTD2MUklTk8AbXg.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/23/2019 at 6:36 AM, Fishfiles said:

Something else popped up for my boy , we tried his 27 Swamplites on the rear and they can work once he puts the floor boards on and pulls the fender forward a bit , but he is going to need to change the Yamaha rims or get wheel spacers so mo'money 

he is going to need some front shocks or the 2 inch lift blocks , not sure what the right shock would be for a 2 inch lift on a 1994 TRX300 2wd , do any of you'll ---- Where's Jeep been , he always seem to know things like that ----  

Haven’t messed with a 2wd before. How are they different than a 4wd shock?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Haven’t messed with a 2wd before. How are they different than a 4wd shock?

they have different part numbers for 2wd and 4wd shocks and different gens breaks 

This is what I came up with when I measuring them , not sure if they are OEM shocks or not , or if they are the right shocks for the bikes , not the first owner of any of them , and my memory is so messed up there is no telling what I got on them --- LOL 

2wd length  bolt hole to bolt hole 11 1/2 long , spring       9 inches long and 2 1/2 diameter 

4wd length  bolt hole to bolt hole       12 long , spring 7 1/2 inches long and 2 1/8 diameter 

so it is like the 2wd shocks are heavier duty 

those shocks you put me on for my 300 are perfect on , believe those were 1st gen 420s , when I put them back on yesterday , they swing right into the bracket and hole lines up as perfect as it could be ----with a 2 inch block and stock shocks I have had to pry them into place to get the bolt in 

So my buddy went and picked up his 250 rear end and brought it over ,  it is a 85 , so a little extra work cutting the swing arm off the axle tube ---- emailed DonQ about one of his weld on adaptor plates 

WmfbP6k%QxypCKp%wYWfFw.jpg

• Like 4