Stonethrower

2002 TRX450FE ES No spark

I bought a 2002 TRX450FE ES and the meter display is cracked and has water in it. I am ordering a new one to replace it. I pulled the meter plug apart and fount a red wire that had shorted out and burnt off. The plug was warm which is what told me there was a problem. I assume the guy I bought it from had washed the bike off first and got water in the meter. Anyway, the guy i bought it from  said that the shifter motor had a problem and wouldn't start with the button so he had pulled the rope and it started and was already in gear and he drove it up on the trailer. When I came to purchase it, the atv wouldn't start. There is no spark. I printed out the wiring diagram and was going to troubleshoot it today with my laptop at my side for help. Can anyone tell me if the meter has to be hooked up for the motor to run? Can I start the machine without the meter? It has a brand new fully charged battery. Also there are 2 small wires on the starter solenoid, Y/R and Lg/R. both have 9 volts which jumps to 13 volts(new battery has 13 volts) when i push the starter button. I can cross the solenoid and the starter turns over fine but still no spark.

Any help would be useful. Thanks.

I will also add pictures here in a bit as soon as i get over to the shop.

Welcome to the forum .........  my TRX450S , will run without the meter , not sure on the FE / ES models ----   @AKATVwould know

welcome to the forums, you might contact @Melatv for the electrical issues, from what I've read here, no i don't think the meter has to be connected, not too sure on the es models. 

Here are some pics. The two wires going to the starter solenoid were taped up. They must have been hot from shorting out at some point.

20210909_095107.jpg

The wiring diagram shows the Red/Black wire coming from the fuse block to the meter.

20210909_094524.jpg20210909_094223.jpg20210909_094238.jpg

20210909_095639.jpg20210909_095648.jpg

Edited by Stonethrower

that (from the veiw) looks like rodents (mice) have been on the wire harness, do you see any other wires damaged of chewed up ? 

The two wires connected to the solenoid are Yellow/Red and LightGreen/Red.

Yellow/Red goes to the start button.

LightGreen/Red goes to the meter.

20210909_100632.jpg

This pic is of the starter buttone and on/off button and gear selector switches. The on/off was broken so i wired it together temporarily and plan on installing a toggle button. I tested both sides and it has a full 13 volts.

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

that (from the veiw) looks like rodents (mice) have been on the wire harness, do you see any other wires damaged of chewed up ? 

Yes there are light signs and that is by far the worse area by far. I do see what looks like it got warm but it may be residue from the electrical tape.

• Thanks 1

thank you, can you post pics of the damaged areas ? it might shed some light on exactly where the problem is.... i see another one here in one of your post. 

image.jpg

Edited by _Wilson_™

Just now, _Wilson_™ said:

thank you, can you post pics of the damaged areas ? it might shed some light on exactly where the problem is. 

What specific areas would you like to see? I'm sitting right here beside it. Easy to do.

• Like 1

This is the only other chew spot on the wiring and it is on the other side of the connector. The wiring looks pretty good. fairly clean.

20210909_101922.jpg

• Thanks 1

All of the lights power up with the key but now(since I unhooked the meter) the starter button has 12 volts on both sides so it must be faulty, but as soon as i power it up by turing the key on, then I would think the starter would start turning? I know the starter works because I can cross the solenoid terminals. All the fuses have 12 volts on both sides and all have been visually inspected.

I am ordering a new starter solenoid in case it's faulty. I just don't think the coil draws its power from it.

Edited by Stonethrower

oh yes most defenntly rodents! i wouldn't be shocked if you find more damage.... and those little suckers caused this issue your now having.. no spark, not shifting... I've not had much dealings with es machines, but i have with rodent damaged machines. melatv is the electrical expert here, so i would contact him..... be sure to keep us updated and and pics of any other wires chewed up, might also un hook the battery when you get done working on it today. 

By the way, I normally order directly from PSN's website when ordering from them.  Saves them the ebay fees, and keeps me from supporting the scumbags that run ebay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

By the way, I normally order directly from PSN's website when ordering from them.  Saves them the ebay fees, and keeps me from supporting the scumbags that run ebay.

OKay. Thanks

5 minutes ago, Stonethrower said:

OKay. Thanks

I do the same with Travelocity, find the cheapest ticket then go to that airline website and get it even cheaper lol!

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the forum .........  my TRX450S , will run without the meter , not sure on the FE / ES models ----   @AKATVwould know

Late to the party....-lol

Your machine will run just fine without the meter, just need to be able to find neutral to start it,without the LED on the speedometer dash- lol

A few members report not being to downshift at higher speeds, but I think this is a safety function of the ECM  to not allow to drop down

into a lower gear at too high of a speed

• Like 1

Okay thank you.

I just fixed the shifter motor. Springs were gone from brushes. I assume a previous owner tried to take it apart and lost them. I fabricated a new set from a spring out of an ink pen, tested the motor directly from the battery before reinstalling and it spun fine.

Now I need to know why both wires to the starting solenoid are hot with key one. One is to the starter button which is obviously stuck "ON" but the other is hot too? The solenoid isn't activating so it must be bad. I don't have spark is the main problem and thats why i checked the shifter motor and gears to make sure there were no broken teeth and that it wasn't bound up.

Majority of my no spark conditions on my 450ES have been bad voltage regulators,could also a bad CDI (try tapping on it) stator/pulse generator, gear position switch etc

On a side note- if your ECM is not seeing the neutral signal from the gear position switch (neutral LED should be on too) you will not get spark

So even if you are in neutral, unless your gear position switch is providing ground to ECM you will not have spark

@Stonethrower , Hi welcome to the forums. Your email host is sending complaints to our mail server so I must ask you to change your email address. I am resetting your registered email in order to stop the complaints.

13 hours ago, retro said:

@Stonethrower , Hi welcome to the forums. Your email host is sending complaints to our mail server so I must ask you to change your email address. I am resetting your registered email in order to stop the complaints.

not changing email lol. just added the site to safe senders. let me know if it gives you more problems

• Thanks 1