jeepwm69

1985 TRX250A headlight

Got this one a few weeks ago, busted rear swingarm, which @Fishfiles was kind enough to send a replacement.

So, got the swingarm in, new battery, and it fires up and runs like a top.  The carb is leaking, so going to have to pull it back apart again and put a rebuild kit in it (bowl is wet below the carb body, so guessing bad bowl seal).

Rides like a buckboard wagon, so I probably need to let some air out of the rear tires.

Anyhow, previous owner rolled it over at some point so the headlight didn't work and was kinda loppy-jawed in the housing.  Took it apart, and the bulb works when connected to 12V.  Connector that goes on the bulb was shot, so will get a replacment and splice into the factory wiring.  That said, when I take a test light and turn the light switch on, I get a very faint light when probing the hi/low beam power wires.  The neutral light also dims when I turn the headlight switch to the on position.  It would occasionally blow the 20amp fuse (added by previous owner coming from battery to main wiring harness) but a 25amp works fine.   Is that a wire grounding out somewhere under there or ?   I hate electrical stuff, and the dim light on the test light has me a bit confused.

Anyone know how these clips go back in the headlight pod?  They fell out when I took it apart and apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how they're supposed to go.

Also has a screwy ignition switch.  Nothing if you turn it all the way on, but if you turn it back towards off just a hair the neutral/oil lights come on as they should and it will start and run. 

As usual, a "all it needs is X" bike turns into needing a whole lot more. LOL  Business as usual.

250.jpg

2502.jpg

headlight.jpg

• Like 3

i believe those clips go on the right and left side just inside the chrome trim, and lock in place,  i had to replace the bulb in my ol 85  but that was years ago. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

I saw that earlier, but haven’t figured out exactly what they clipped to and how they are arranged in there.

sounds like a bad ignitions switch. bad ground for lights ?, short somewhere in the wire harness. bad connection in light switch. electrical is easy on these models. if you can get it to run, do a test on the reg/rec, see if its putting out voltage from the stator.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

they just clip in. if i recall right a tad aggravating to install....

image.jpg

yep, thats how the clips work !.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

sounds like a bad ignitions switch. bad ground for lights ?, short somewhere in the wire harness. bad connection in light switch. electrical is easy on these models. if you can get it to run, do a test on the reg/rec, see if its putting out voltage from the stator.

Runs like a top. Just gotta get the little odds and ends fixed up. 

! thing rides rough as ! though!

• Like 2

Under the front fender there are about 11 plug connectors , would bet you got corrosion in a connector giving you a bad ground for the lights being dim ---- if you need a carb , I have about 10 of them for the TRX250A 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Under the front fender there are about 11 plug connectors , would bet you got corrosion in a connector giving you a bad ground for the lights being dim ---- if you need a carb , I have about 10 of them for the TRX250A 

This one runs great, but the bottom of the carb is wet and dripping gas.  Not the drain hose either (drain hose might be stopped up).  No gas in the crankcase luckily.

Those carbs are pricey Fish.  Wonder if they'll work on a 350 Fourtrax/Foreman?  Look to be the same design.

• Like 1

jeep i looked at the pic of the bulb you have,  are you sure this is stock setup, i see a plug on the lamp.... might be the reason the clips will not install right ? the oem bulb is glass up front and a metal refector on the back (not glass) and is some what smaller and rounded more on the right and left sides. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

3 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

jeep i looked at the pic of the bulb you have,  are you sure this is stock setup, i see a plug on the lamp.... might be the reason the clips will not install right ? the oem bulb is glass up front and a metal refector on the back (not glass) and is some what smaller and rounded more on the right and left sides. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I noticed that in the schematic, and figured it might be from another year, but now that you've brought it up again, more likely would be that this is a car/ truck headlight that the previous owner swapped in at some point.  I did get it mounted back on the bike and it works.  The plastic outer isn't in great shape, but it's "servicable".

Waiting on a Shindy carb kit to get the carb dried up, and then I need to put the fenders back on.  The fenders have been fiberglassed in a few places.  Front brakes don't work (got the rears working). 

It's kind of a beater, but runs great.  Plan is to flip it.

• Like 1

good deal.... I'll see if i can send him your way. 

i thought it might be an auto bulb... could be a heat issue being mounted in the plastic housing ? 

That's a good question.  I don't know if it would be or not.  Lots of room between the bulb and the plastic part, and I did get it clipped into place with the clips, so I think it will be ok.

Were it mine I'd probably put an LED bulb up there.  Not "correct" but not like this one is mint/collectible, and the LED would give off a lot more usable light

• Like 1

Carb kit showed up and had a tiny slit in the front of the package and the float needle was gone.

😐

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Carb kit showed up and had a tiny slit in the front of the package and the float needle was gone.

😐

I would say that the float doesn't come in a Honda carb  kit , it is sold separately for $28 , they be proud of that one 

image.png

Got to order another carb kit. Seller that sent me the one with no float needle refunded my money last night

• Like 2

Still haven’t managed to get the carb to quit leaking through the overflow. 

New needle and polishing the seat didn’t work. Have an inline filter and new line between the tank and carb.

Which one of y’all posted that video using ball bearings to swage the seat a little?

tell me how ya solve it. got a weed-eater that does that. echo, 225... different critter, same problem.. how to get the needle to match the seat.....

Been moving this carb around on my bench for a couple of weeks now.  Finally ordered an assortment of ball bearings so I can try this trick and see if I can get the carb to quit leaking.

i've used cotton swabs and fine steel wool stuffed down in the float needle seats, works pretty good at polishing the seats.