Ast Maintenance

2006 Foreman 500 no spark issue

Hello all, I have a need for some advise.
I have a 2006 Honda Foreman with no spark, I have tested the coil and the stator and both appear to be good.
Not sure how to test the CPI so I bought a new one at $350.00 and still no spark. I noticed the new CPI was getting very hot so I removed and installed the old one and it to was getting very hot. Correct me if I think I have a short somewhere in the harness? The question is where should I start looking?
Thank you all

Welcome aboard.

When you say "CPI" are you referring to the computer under the front fender (aka CDI, ECU) or the voltage regulator under the right rear wheel well?

Does your meter show a green light and an "N" on the display when it neutral?

• Like 1

Yes sorry I am referring to the CDI under the front fender, I just removed the voltage regulator and tested to the best of my ability and it seems ok.

Yes neutral light is on and the CDI box is getting hot.

Thank you for all your help

I’ve honestly never grabbed a CDI on one of these with it running so I don’t know if it should get hot or not.

The voltage regulator should be very hot when running. 

So it turns over fine but just doesn’t have spark?

@Melatv is the resident electrical genius. 

Have you downloaded the factory service manual at the tool bar on top of the page? There is a wiring diagram at the end of the PDF manual download.

• Like 1

I have not dowloaded the wiring diagram but have glanced thru it. turns over well but no spark. removed the regulator Friday and cleaned all the connections and the ground, tested the regulator with a meter but not sure if tested properly. Meter showed between .241 and .252, I am sure after testing the coil and the stator they are within the limits, Have  (2) new spark plugs and still no spark.

Weird part is the bike was running perfect, drove from my back yard to the front and parked it, 4 hours later tried to start and nothing.

Goin to test the regulator again as I am not sure of that test.

Thank you again for your help and have a great weekend

Hi Ast M: Try testing the rectifier this way.

Here is something I made up for testing the rectifier. If anyone want to add to this do so.

Rectifier test.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blaindunion said:

I need help on my 06 500 Foreman SE I remove the wiring harness put it back together and I now have no spark

More info would be helpful.

Why did you remove the harness and are you sure you got everything plugged back in where it should be?

There was a rat that tore the wiring harness up I started testing things today with a vote meter I found the coil was not putting anything out but I was getting 21 V off of the wire going to the coil off the wiring harness could be a bad coil

2 hours ago, blaindunion said:

There was a rat that tore the wiring harness up I started testing things today with a vote meter I found the coil was not putting anything out but I was getting 21 V off of the wire going to the coil off the wiring harness could be a bad coil

if you download the factory service manual out of the tool bar at the top of the page, it should give you voltage measurements for different components.

@Melatv is the electrical guru around here. 

OK guys I just put a brand new harness on I am getting eight flashers on the dashboard neutral light will not show up or turn on the electric shift will go down in reverse and come back up still no spark

You say you're getting 8 flashes.  Is that on the gear indicator (is the N on the display flashing)?

If so, that's an angle sensor fault.

If the computer doesn't sense it's in gear, or in Neutral, you won't get spark.  If the green backlit neutral light isn't lit up, you aren't going to get spark.

That is correct the neutral light is not showing up on the dash it has two dotted lines and that is what is flashing eight times consecutive then go off and then flash another eight times consecutive eight flashes whenever you turn the key on the neutral light four-wheel-drive light and everything lights up on the dash but immediately goes out 

The indicator lights are supposed to come on for a few seconds and then go off.

So it would appear that you have an angle sensor problem.  You download the factory service manual yet?  It's in the "service manuals" tab at the top of the page. 

Look on page 22-11 for troubleshooting info on the angle sensor.

50 minutes ago, blaindunion said:

I have just replaced the shift angle sensor still nothing

OEM angle sensor?

you need to get a multimeter and check the sensor and the other spots in the harness, following the instructions from the factory service manual 

Did you go through with a multimeter and check the other pertinent places related to the angle sensor as specified in the FSM?