BradBoltz

87 350D starting issue

1 hour ago, BradBoltz said:

I woke up the next morning went out and tried to start it and it started right up and has been running not sure what happened can it be that there is some sort of self reset on the cdi or something 

no, they do not '' re-set '' . but !..what can and could happen, is the oil temp cooled down enough to trigger the fan control unit to allow the c.d.i. to fire the c.d.i. ?, or..you just have a bad c.d.i ?.

Ok seems to running so far expect it pops like a backfire when I let of the gas I may have to adjust the pilot screw to work with the mr gasket fuel pump that was installed 

I expect that you might have a bad ground or a bad connection in one of the CDI connectors. Valves probably need to be adjusted too, since its popping on decel.

First of all, put a volt meter across the battery while the motor is running and rev it up to about 5000 RPMs. If charging voltage goes above 15.5 volts shut the motor off and replace the regulator-rectifier. If its overcharging you'll smoke your new CDI.

Then, remove, clean and tighten the frame ground under/in front of the seat on the right side frame rail. Then make sure that have a perfect ground on the G/W wire that plugs into the CDI. Inspect all of those CDI bullet connectors to make sure that they are clean shiny brass and are snapping together tightly. Let us know what you find out.

87-350d-ign.png