WonderMonkey

Hunting Season Has Arrived

The scorpyd deathstalker has killed everything that I aimed at. There are faster models out now but for hunting its deadly. I have a centerpoint as backu that hasn't been to the woods yet. For the latest reviews head on over to https://www.crossbownation.com/forums/

If you do buy new Dave will set you up, highly recommended and no sales tax, https://www.wyverncreations.com/

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I think @retro has a pretty sweet crossbow setup.  @wheelsquad does as well, but he hasn't been on much lately.

I picked up a couple of Walmart specials on clearance, but haven't gotten around to shooting them yet.  Bear Pledge compound and a Barnett Whitetail II.   They were too cheap to pass up, so I snagged them when I came across them.

I'll go look for that thread.  Thanks!

I just re-installed my gas can holder, guns & ammo loaded, going to pick up camper & head to bush for three days. I’ll post back with some pics..ole 300 gonna get some miles put to er again!

Edited by Wheeler

2 hours ago, rustynut2 said:

The scorpyd deathstalker has killed everything that I aimed at. There are faster models out now but for hunting its deadly. I have a centerpoint as backu that hasn't been to the woods yet. For the latest reviews head on over to https://www.crossbownation.com/forums/

If you do buy new Dave will set you up, highly recommended and no sales tax, https://www.wyverncreations.com/

Thanks for those two links.  I'm certainly not hung up on raw FPS, but I'll take whatever gets the job done, plus 1.  From my normal rifle season stand I have my feeder to the left and deer come out behind it, and deer to my right on a large trail.  With one of the advanced crossbows I could cover both areas, or I could go more moderately priced and put a stand nearer to one spot or the other.  Of course it's always the conundrum of a hunter, where to put the stand to see what you need to see, at the right time of the year.

3 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I just re-installed my gas can holder, guns & ammo loaded, going to pick up camper & head to bush for three days. I’ll post back with some pics..

Sounds fun!  I have several Jerry cans that I could pack nicely for long range trips.  On their side they lay nicely and things can be placed on top of them.

I was going to get a gun boot, but I was given grippers, so I'm using those.  For hunting I don't travel off the old logging road so I don't worry about things grabbing my rifle.  Of course I may go off-trail when going in to get a deer that ran a bit, but I'll deal with that.  On the back of my atv I have a Plano Sportsman's trunk and use it to keep "stuff" that I may need.

WonderMonkey, I saw your pic, I would be down across from the shade if that is an evening hunt. A tree stand in the middle of that setup might cover both ends though. Feeders aren't allowed here so what do I know, they might come from anywhere. Having a second tree to sit in wouldn't be a bad thing depending on wind....

Most x-bows can shoot past 40 yards, but its not recommended as a deer might take a step turning a good hunt to bad. 

7 hours ago, rustynut2 said:

WonderMonkey, I saw your pic, I would be down across from the shade if that is an evening hunt. A tree stand in the middle of that setup might cover both ends though. Feeders aren't allowed here so what do I know, they might come from anywhere. Having a second tree to sit in wouldn't be a bad thing depending on wind....

Most x-bows can shoot past 40 yards, but its not recommended as a deer might take a step turning a good hunt to bad. 

It's not clear to me just yet if I should go to one spot or the other.  It's 100 yd to the left and about 75 yd to the right from my stand.  This is my first year in this spot so I'll let things pan out.

• Like 1

Shooting Lane for next 4 1/2 hrs. Had crosshairs on a doe this am. But she was facing me & didn’t have a rest for a head shot…

image.jpg

• Like 3

Last day here.. made er happen! It was a struggle by myself to get her loaded up. I was long ways from campsite. 7mm for the WIN!

6493A50C-B8ED-4A38-9644-6783CF949178.jpeg

F5E87CFA-D5C0-4D2F-BEA9-E70C3438B564.jpeg

486FD718-0468-4FDE-BE93-E3B3F764B8AC.jpeg

367EE613-80CF-4FA4-AAFA-F8C5AC11EB38.jpeg

7ECB6421-BE59-4765-8166-D398968508D5.jpeg

• Like 6

You need to get a deer sled.  Deer goes in, ice it down, dump it out when needed.  No mess and easy for us old guys.  Toe it behind the atv

3169A6E6-36D8-451C-9F87-B6909386DF00.jpeg

Edited by rustynut2
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Last day here.. made er happen! It was a struggle by myself to get her loaded up. I was long ways from campsite. 7mm for the WIN!

6493A50C-B8ED-4A38-9644-6783CF949178.jpeg

F5E87CFA-D5C0-4D2F-BEA9-E70C3438B564.jpeg

486FD718-0468-4FDE-BE93-E3B3F764B8AC.jpeg

367EE613-80CF-4FA4-AAFA-F8C5AC11EB38.jpeg

7ECB6421-BE59-4765-8166-D398968508D5.jpeg

7RM? What cartridge you shooting?

i like the Hornady interlocks, but recently got some Fed Premium Terminal Ascent 155, Berger Hybrid Hunter 168 and Accubond 160.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rustynut2 said:

You need to get a deer sled.  Deer goes in, ice it down, dump it out when needed.  No mess and easy for us old guys.  Toe it behind the atv

Very good. I had to drag my antelope a mile thru several ravines. Used my vest to protect the skin. Boy I was beat.

991BB54E-AFE2-4F6B-A2DE-2E934A8C4180.jpeg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Goober said:

Very good. I had to drag my antelope a mile thru several ravines. Used my vest to protect the skin. Boy I was beat.

991BB54E-AFE2-4F6B-A2DE-2E934A8C4180.jpeg

rofl..i wonder if the game warden will consider this to be legal for it to hunt , now that it has a orange vest on ??..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i'll be in the woods come saturday morning 11-13-2021, in my new deer stand..waiting for that big buck to step out in front of me !. will be there for a few days.

• Like 3

yesterday was putting up some new gates and fences around the neighborhood and doing some Bobcat work around Kim's land and around my property , he was loading up his 4 wheeler and the ramps came out from under him cause he didn't put  a ratchet strap on the ramps and used a bungie cord , then on the second attempt he went thru the back window of his King Ranch , I bet that is going to cost , it was a power window 

%KDCb5z%QeOxyBlkd1rZBw.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

yesterday was putting up some new gates and fences around the neighborhood and doing some Bobcat work around Kim's land and around my property , he was loading up his 4 wheeler and the ramps came out from under him cause he didn't put  a ratchet strap on the ramps and used a bungie cord , then on the second attempt he went thru the back window of his King Ranch , I bet that is going to cost , it was a power window 

%KDCb5z%QeOxyBlkd1rZBw.jpg

lol, you called me yesterday about this, you said the ramps gaveway ?, i started to ask ya...did he tie the ramps down with anything ?, time and time again..i have seen folks loading atvs up into trucks, or unloading them, and not have the ramps tied down..sure enough..this happened every time !..TIE THOSE RAMPS DOWN FOLKS !.

• Like 4

Wow that was a near deadly lesson.

those ramps are too short, plus the rear of the truck is too high—needed to have the cab uphill. Plus parking brake set. Plus ramp secured to bumper.

i probably have the best ramps you can buy — like $300–arched and ramps connected together. I think they are UTV ramps but will get brand name for you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goober said:

7RM? What cartridge you shooting?

i like the Hornady interlocks, but recently got some Fed Premium Terminal Ascent 155, Berger Hybrid Hunter 168 and Accubond 160.

I roll my own! Hornady 162 ELD-X 2950fps. I shot that deer with my Savage Trophy Hunter 116. I also shoot a Rem 700 with Timney Trigger & Magpul Hunter stock with box mag conversion. Both rifles eat the same boolits exclusively.. (I do have some Nosler 140gr gummies to try & load up though) 

• Like 2

@rustynut2 where I hunt the sled would not be practical. The area is Soo large & vast of oil field roads, seismic lines, trails ect & u can drive until u run out of gas. 

• Like 1

That sounds terrible, lol.  That hard plastic does glide over just about anything but not down a gravel fire road. My drag is less than a mile but I have crossed pavement without any harm. Nice shot, nice deer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the ramps i use RevArc HD

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/revarc-hd-utv-ramp-p

I do have a full size pickup bed, it does fit in there. I use it for my CanAm and my little green fishing buddy TRX300. Ramp slides right under either quad.

i also park my quads in the bed using empty kitty litter totes. Where i store my straps snd nets. Keeps the quads from hitting my back window 

9AF9331B-F542-4565-AFFA-778FBEA5A2DD.jpeg

F71F303D-E6EC-4B57-A06A-F5690444FBEB.jpeg

Edited by Goober
  • Like 4

On 11/7/2021 at 6:37 PM, rustynut2 said:

I have one of those, called a JetSled for the brand I have.  This year I took the trailer I have for my atv.  With the old logging roads that I travel on it will work well.  However there have been times I would have given a fair amount of money to have the sled to pull the deer out of some woods before I got my ATV.

• Like 1

I leave my jet sled in the truck packed with hunting gear, de-cock bag and a gallon of soapy water.  Kill a deer, grab the sled after dropping the bow in the truck. Time to hall the deer and rinse off

• Like 1

My buddy with the ramp clasp and the rear window breakage took a terrible twist   , well he woke up the next morning he was hurting bad , his wife looked at his back side, which he couldn't see  and she took him immediately to the ER , he is black and blue from his shoulder to the back of his leg , so then it was off to the Ford dealership , $5,200 for a new electric rear window assembly , some body and paint work , and here is the real kicker , off to the Honda dealership which the guy is a friend of his and looked at the atv right away as he got hurt on it and told him he didn't want to unload it as he was scared of it , now I really never believed him about the throttle sticking  and I don't believe what the dealership told him ,  they said the motor mount came loose and that had an effect on the throttle sticking -----  he went and bought a trailer  

I have seen if you improperly route a cable during a cable change , when you turn the handle bars the throttle will jump up , had that one happen to me , but this 500 has never been worked on before and  he was going straight up 

I was a second late videoing it driving back off the tail gate  

• Like 2