WonderMonkey

Hunting Season Has Arrived

Bruised from falling onto the ramp i bet; hopefully nothing permanent.

cable binding? Yeah i never let that happen. I am good about lubing cables and replacing them when they pinch. 

i need to buy a trailer, too. They’re cheap enough.

3 hours ago, Goober said:

Bruised from falling onto the ramp i bet; hopefully nothing permanent.

cable binding? Yeah i never let that happen. I am good about lubing cables and replacing them when they pinch. 

i need to buy a trailer, too. They’re cheap enough.

maybe i need to get back on the short yellow bus ??, but why doesn't most ppl haul their atv in the truck bed ?. unless the truck bed is either too short ?, or they put a tool box in there ?. but yeah..i also have a home built/made tilt bed trailer i made years ago, 5x9, 15 inch tires, 3500 lb axle..love it !.

• Like 1

As posted in my thread, my middle son and I have gotten our first buck of the year. The 1st  and 2nd week of November here in NC seems to be the best to hunt for me. The rut is always in full swing. I've killed a buck the same week both this year and last. Bear season came in Monday so now everything is in . Yotes have gotten terrible here and any deer hunt that a yote shows up, it turns into a yote hunt. We saw 2 that killed a fawn last month and I couldn't get them in range to shoot.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, Fishfiles said:

I could help to notice , her string seems a little loose , LOL 

image.png

what string?

i never hung a deer, so the enzymes will work, with purpose. i was a little bit slow butchering some, at the meat hung in the basement a bit longer then i wanted. i read deer meat didnt need to hang, to be tender. got to look up that article again.  the frozen meat always bleeds when i thaw it out. the hardest on meat is to have a freezer, that constantly defrost. warms the outside of the meat, then refreezes. the freezer in the basement, dont work like that. has 1.5 inch of ice at the top, and the bottom, the widest part of the ice the ice is least 6 inches wide, and its at the top an bottom. i triple wrap also. plastic paper and then, more plastic. i've even used newspaper,[hoover blanket]. got a few other tricks also.a bag of stripper froze in ice, just looks yellow from the picture the old camera took. fish is over a year old without freezer burn.

DSCN2846.JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i never hung a deer, so the enzymes will work, with purpose. i was a little bit slow butchering some, at the meat hung in the basement a bit longer then i wanted. i read deer meat didnt need to hang, to be tender. got to look up that article again.  the frozen meat always bleeds when i thaw it out. the hardest on meat is to have a freezer, that constantly defrost. warms the outside of the meat, then refreezes. the freezer in the basement, dont work like that. has 1.5 inch of ice at the top, and the bottom, the widest part of the ice the ice is least 6 inches wide, and its at the top an bottom. i triple wrap also. plastic paper and then, more plastic. i've even used newspaper,[hoover blanket]. got a few other tricks also.a bag of stripper froze in ice, just looks yellow from the picture the old camera took. fish is over a year old without freezer burn.

DSCN2846.JPG

A couple of points here- 

Freezer burn is caused by improper packaging. Meat needs to be in airtight freezer bags or freezer paper with no air in it. Regular plastic bags are actually porous to air. If your package is proper it doesn't matter if your freezer has defrost or not.

Defrost cycle does not heat up or thaw the meat. It only clears the ice off the coils and then shuts off, restarting the cooling process. If you let the ice build up like that it is inefficient for the cooling process, compressor runs more and harder, and will cause it to fail sooner.

The enzymes in venison break down the meat way faster than beef. My best venison is butchered in a day or two.

Bloody meat is caused by freezing it too slow. This causes miniscule ice particles in the meat which cuts it and allows the juices flow out. That's why you don't see this on store bought meat. If it's been frozen it's been flash frozen. Putting all the meat in the freezer in a heap will cause this. When freezing your venison spread the packages all over the coils to freeze it faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see it's easy for guys to notice when I haven't been on in a while 😉

I do check in every now and then. It just so happens that the day before @jeepwm69 tagged me, I shot my best deer ever, and did it with a crossbow. Man, it was an awesome surprise to see him come out into the field. Zero daytime pics of him before that. Just goes to show you never know what can happen last week of Oct or first week of Nov in MN!

Edited by wheelsquad
  • Like 7

Looked like a perfect shot on a monster, congrats.  It always amazes me how they just show up out of nowhere.  I’m sure you’ll be sharing this story and memories for years to come. Thanks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rustynut2 said:

Looked like a perfect shot on a monster, congrats.  It always amazes me how they just show up out of nowhere.  I’m sure you’ll be sharing this story and memories for years to come. Thanks

Thanks. My intended point of impact would have been 3 inches higher. In slo-mo you can see the up and down motion of the lighted nock, cause I just grazed the strap of the blind with the vane of the arrow. Thankfully the high FOC arrow wanted to stay on its intended path enough to get the kill. Broadhead sliced through the elbow joint on the way in, through the very bottom of the heart, and then angled out towards the low guts. I got super lucky.

• Like 3

Should keep that to yourself. Tell em it was a perfect heart shot, that's what I saw, lol....Either way, nice job.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Do you think if Biden mandates a mask, the deer will wear them?

i know i wont !.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, WonderMonkey said:

Do you think if Biden mandates a mask, the deer will wear them?

Maybe he will mandate mask requirements to participate in a  hunt and the Federal Wildlife Agents will issues fines for non-compliance 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe he will mandate mask requirements to participate in a  hunt and the Federal Wildlife Agents will issues fines for non-compliance 

If they have nothing to hide, they will comply.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, WonderMonkey said:

If they have nothing to hide, they will comply.

I don't get it !!!! 

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I don't get it !!!! 

A common argument when totalitarians attempt to justify their draconian methods.

"If you're not guilty of anything then you should go along with our demands, because you have nothing to hide"

The problem, of course, is “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime”   Lavrentiy Beria, who was the most ruthless and longest-serving secret police chief in Joseph Stalin’s reign of terror in Russia and Eastern Europe, bragged that he could prove criminal conduct on anyone, even the innocent.

• Like 1

I helped cut up 10 deer last week—six were gifted to our crew by hunters who don’t keep the meat. A mix of reasons—some don’t have the ability to butcher, or store, or eat venison. Some of these hunters might just like us. i respect their reasons and am thankful for their generosity.

so we’ve spent several days skinning and processing deer, with 10 tags left between us! So the hunting isn’t over!

we split up the meat except for the burger which we will use and split again for sausage over late winter. i brought home 40 pounds of roasts and steaks for myself—and 75 pounds of burger out of the 220 pounds we ground. 
I will order 50lbs each pork fat and beef fat later this week; get some spices and mustard seed. High temp cheese for brats. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Goober said:

I helped cut up 10 deer last week—six were gifted to our crew by hunters who don’t keep the meat. A mix of reasons—some don’t have the ability to butcher, or store, or eat venison. Some of these hunters might just like us. i respect their reasons and am thankful for their generosity.

so we’ve spent several days skinning and processing deer, with 10 tags left between us! So the hunting isn’t over!

we split up the meat except for the burger which we will use and split again for sausage over late winter. i brought home 40 pounds of roasts and steaks for myself—and 75 pounds of burger out of the 220 pounds we ground. 
I will order 50lbs each pork fat and beef fat later this week; get some spices and mustard seed. High temp cheese for brats. 

I used the golf ball method of skinning deer this year, for the first time.  It's great and I'll do the majority of deer this way from here on out.

• Like 2

Tonight I trimmed the deer meat that I took in rifle season.  While we are at it, we fried up one of the backstraps from of the deer.  Tomorrow we will grind a bunch of the meat and put it in casings.  I'll smoke it after that, vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer.

• Like 1