jeepwm69

420FPA engine light and fan always on

Buddy dropped off his kid's 2013 420FPA yesterday.  Seems when you cut the key on the engine temp light is on and the fan runs continuously.

First guess will be bad temp sensor, and on this machine there appear to be two, one on the head that measures water/ coolant temp, and another on the bottom front of the engine which measures oil temp.

Will check both of these and make sure a plug hasn't pulled off/ damaged wire, and go from there.  Anyone have a similar situation on one of these 420's?

Found the problem.  Bad ECU.  Turns out the one from my wife's 09FA and the FPA (Power steering) are the same (I figured the computer would be different for a powers steering model).

So I swapped his to the wife's,and the fan came on and temp light.

Swapped hers to his and his no longer threw an error code.

Swapped them back and the problem follows his ECU.

New ECU is $350 from Partzilla (ouch) and $295 from RMATV.  I found one on Motosport for $260ish with free shipping, so snagged that one.  Ran about $290 with tax.

So, anyone want to tear this old one open and see what caused the fault?  @AKATV or @Melatv?  Strictly offered to satisfy the hive's curiosity, don't expect it back if it turns out it can be repaired, and I'll cover shipping to get it there.

If you don't want to mess with it I'll toss it in the farm shop with the "iffy" parts that are too bad to use, but that I'm scared to throw away just in case LOL.

The guy that owns this one is a childhood friend, and is referred to as "the Rincon riding buddy" when I mention him here.  He's bought two of these 420FPA's for his kids, he still has his Rincon, and he had an 08 Rubicon for his wife.  Somebody stole the Rubicon Friday night from his house......dang thieves.

• Like 3

So I finally decided to get this one wrapped up and back to my buddy.

They've been living in a trailer out on their farm while they had some major work done to their house, so I haven't been in a big hurry to get this one done and back to them, as he's already had one wheeler (08 Rubicon) stolen from the trailer.

But they're back in their house now, so figured I'd get the snorkel they requested installed and get it back to them.

Snorkel wasn't too bad to run, got it center mounted right in front of the pod, with the end poking back over the meter.

I noticed the air filter was FILTHY so cleaned it and re-oiled it.  When I cranked it to make sure the engine would die when I covered the snorkel, it didn't die.

Found the drain cap off of the bottom of the air box.  Well that explains the filthy filter.  Checked the oil and found milk.   Nice.

Looks like the cap must have been off, kid went through some water, air box filled up, and water likely went through the crankcase vent hose. 

So I'll change the oil until it's clear, do a loop de loop on the crankcase vent hose to keep that from happening in the future, and hope that the water he sucked in wasn't full of grit. 

Hopefully he hasn't ridden it much with that milk in the crankcase..........

D5ECB382-49E7-4FC9-BA43-F718ECB9D9D8.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

So I finally decided to get this one wrapped up and back to my buddy.

They've been living in a trailer out on their farm while they had some major work done to their house, so I haven't been in a big hurry to get this one done and back to them, as he's already had one wheeler (08 Rubicon) stolen from the trailer.

But they're back in their house now, so figured I'd get the snorkel they requested installed and get it back to them.

Snorkel wasn't too bad to run, got it center mounted right in front of the pod, with the end poking back over the meter.

I noticed the air filter was FILTHY so cleaned it and re-oiled it.  When I cranked it to make sure the engine would die when I covered the snorkel, it didn't die.

Found the drain cap off of the bottom of the air box.  Well that explains the filthy filter.  Checked the oil and found milk.   Nice.

Looks like the cap must have been off, kid went through some water, air box filled up, and water likely went through the crankcase vent hose. 

So I'll change the oil until it's clear, do a loop de loop on the crankcase vent hose to keep that from happening in the future, and hope that the water he sucked in wasn't full of grit. 

Hopefully he hasn't ridden it much with that milk in the crankcase..........

D5ECB382-49E7-4FC9-BA43-F718ECB9D9D8.jpeg

20 bucks say's he'll bring it back to ya, cus the motor is smoking ?!..lol. you know dang well what happens when you get river water in an engine !. lol.

• Haha 1

I already told him if he brings it back, to the back of the line it goes!  I gotta get some work done on my own stuff!

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I already told him if he brings it back, to the back of the line it goes!  I gotta get some work done on my own stuff!

yeah, that would be a complete engine tear down.

• Like 1