Fishfiles

2006 TRX420ES

Don't know how I let my buddy talk me into working on his 2006 TRX420 ES , at least the problem is not shift related ------  this atv only has 81 miles on it and is a 2006 , the fuel went bad in it , he says it will run with a gas soaked  rag over the air cleaner , tank fuel smells like varnish , he says it has never had ethanal gas in it , he brought over a new battery , so going to flush the tank and hope for the best 

iprmBxglSI6mcyxKyhHENQ.jpg

07 was the first year of the 420. I don’t think white was offered until 08. 

gonna have to take the tank off and dump it/it out, and my guess is you’ll have to replace the fuel pump. They tend to seize up if you let them sit very long with bad gas in them

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

07 was the first year of the 420. I don’t think white was offered until 08. 

gonna have to take the tank off and dump it/it out, and my guess is you’ll have to replace the fuel pump. They tend to seize up if you let them sit very long with bad gas in them

Might be a 2009 , says TRX420FE9 on the decal by the air box ,  I can get my hand on the vin number but can't read braile with my fingers

Tank is nasty  , that white bucket was perfectly clean before dumping the tank in it  , petcock totally clogged so bad  it won't let fuel thru it , even with me digging on it and blowing it with cleaner , cleaned out the fuel pump and it was nasty too , hooked it up to a external fuel jug and got it running and it sounds great , ordered a molded fuel hose and a new petcock and tank screen , 4 days shipping and $85 ----- by the time it is over I can see it being about 4 hours time , got two hours into it now , what you think would be fair $$$ , $80 x 4 , $320 plus parts 

EJbpeAEcSzK16VErCpPubw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f13.jpeg

jsPusjhsQKeEFZRS5Y0+OA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_f10.jpeg

TkVzF9GTTm6jCQ3rycN2JA.jpg

• Like 1

He would pay at least as much if taken to a dealer for repairs.  It appears he wants it fixed so should be happy to get it back in running condition.....

• Like 3

I never had many dealings with fuel injection on atvs  before this 420 , but I  like it so far , as bad as the tank and fuel pump were corroded , it fired right up when hooked up  on a external fuel source , only bad issue I see is the fuel pump cost $175 and seems could  be easily trashed  from water and dirt , it is kind of hard to service the fuel pump where it is located and there is no drain plug or petcock on the bowl to drain any accumulated dirt and water 

I had read about guys modifying fuel injection onto 300s , guess it didn't work out too well asI see it never caught on , a @retro fuel injection kit might be cool 

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I never had many dealings with fuel injection on atvs  before this 420 , but I  like it so far , as bad as the tank and fuel pump were corroded , it fired right up when hooked up  on a external fuel source , only bad issue I see is the fuel pump cost $175 and seems could  be easily trashed  from water and dirt , it is kind of hard to service the fuel pump where it is located and there is no drain plug or petcock on the bowl to drain any accumulated dirt and water 

I had read about guys modifying fuel injection onto 300s , guess it didn't work out too well asI see it never caught on , a @retro fuel injection kit might be cool 

They are great until you have problems. You have a fuel injection relay behind the battery that can go bad, a bank angle sensor that can go bad, and a whole lot of wiring that can give you issues.

If you look on eBay you can probably find a new OEM fuel pump for 125-ish. I had to pick one up from my buddy’s kid a couple of months ago

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

They are great until you have problems. You have a fuel injection relay behind the battery that can go bad, a bank angle sensor that can go bad, and a whole lot of wiring that can give you issues.

If you look on eBay you can probably find a new OEM fuel pump for 125-ish. I had to pick one up from my buddy’s kid a couple of months ago

Pretty much the same comparison to foot shift vs. ES.  Extra parts and wiring that can cause issues that many on here seem to have.  I guess fuel injection and ES are looked at by many as improvements until they have problems.....

They are absolutely an improvement until you have to troubleshoot them.

I am for some of these WizKid’s I’m sure troubleshooting them isn’t much more difficult than the older machines.

But for us drunk redneck yard mechanics, simpler is better lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New petcock and screen came in Friday so I put this 420 back together and rode it for an hour around the neighborhood visiting neighbors , the ES is not too bad , this atv is super fast , it screams after getting off a 300 with 54% reduction , speed  shifting thru the gears  is smooth , downshifting is a little noisy and scared me a bit , I might have been hitting it a little hard ----  I  do vlike the ES feel , but wouldn't want to take a chance on owning one 

s2pWaGA5SQaRDr0e9gHC2w.jpg

UzFkyudESgqJkJ580LLutQ.jpg

PgjS6MKTRAGVuKQE5DqGSg.jpg

• Like 1