Mac102004

Mac’s Rubicant 2.0 (2022 Rubicon 520)

Picked this up this morning after a long wait, and a few compromises, it’s a 2022 Rubicon 520 EPS IRS, so footshift with powersteering like my other one just not a “deluxe”. It has a 3500lb Kolpin Winch with synthetic cable and heat demon hand/thumb warmers. Stock tires on for now, couldn’t get Mud Bugs, so I ordered 28” Swamp Witches off eBay, figured I’d give those a try. Should be here next week. 

first impressions, not much as changed since they came out 7 years ago, but still a nice machine, 520 seems to pull harder than the 500, more mid range-top end but hard to make a true comparison as I’ve never ran the 500 on stock tires. True test will be when the Swamp Lites are on. 

Rubicant 1.0 isn’t going anywhere, although I’ve been neglecting it a bit lately and it’s in need of a rear diff rebuild. 

EB8A9402-8389-4C4D-B932-21A548A4793F.jpeg

43AAF4A2-E7A2-451D-95BD-237E8BE97F9D.jpeg

C7A4D58E-2248-4971-ABEF-2F11FBB6D920.jpeg

073DC26F-2B8F-495C-8532-43DECA8C0FF2.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Mudbugs sold out or ?

None of their distributors could get them, seem to be sold out everywhere, at least in 27 and 28”

3 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

None of their distributors could get them, seem to be sold out everywhere, at least in 27 and 28”

No doubt another victim of Covid. I’ll be shopping for some more 27’s in the not too distant future

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

No doubt another victim of Covid. I’ll be shopping for some more 27’s in the not too distant future

good luck lol 

What do you think of the EPS, Mac? I don’t have it on my 2015, no way to buy one without now.

2 hours ago, Nanook said:

What do you think of the EPS, Mac? I don’t have it on my 2015, no way to buy one without now.

I don't know about Mac but I love the EPS on my Rubicon.  I would actually turn it up a little bit if I could.  One time I did hit a square rut with one wheel and it quit working and showed a fault.  I turned the key off for a little bit and when I restarted it everything was ok.

4 hours ago, Nanook said:

I love the EPS, it makes a big difference especially on these bigger machines and once you get some bigger rubber on them. I wouldn’t buy a new machine without it and to be honest when looking at used stuff I’m a bit reluctant to buy a machine without it, even though it’s something I got along many years without. 

Nice new ride Mac, my 17 is going to need its rear diff rebuilt soon also, trying to prolong it

• Like 1

Well that is good to hear. I’ve never ridden an ATV that has EPS. If you want the manual shift model, you will have EPS...

7 hours ago, Nanook said:

Well that is good to hear. I’ve never ridden an ATV that has EPS. If you want the manual shift model, you will have EPS...

yeah I don’t really agree with the idea of not offering a true base model, but I guess the EPS must be popular enough of an option. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

yeah I don’t really agree with the idea of not offering a true base model, but I guess the EPS must be popular enough of an option. 

Mine came like that also, FS with EPS, I like it for some of the rough bush riding I do, especially with the diff lock on.

• Like 2

Back when I was looking at a new Rubicon I thought I didn't need EPS until I tried it. No way would I buy a machine without it.

• Like 3

Co-op used to carry those here.  Friend of mine had some and they seemed to work well.  IIRC a little heavier than the mudbugs.

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Co-op used to carry those here.  Friend of mine had some and they seemed to work well.  IIRC a little heavier than the mudbugs.

yeah they are a bit of an old school tire themselves, while the mud bugs are still my go to these are not a bad tire at all. I actually looked for a set of the HL MST first, but none were to be found, very similar tire just some slight alterations were made by Deestone for HL. 

• Like 1

@Mac102004  What do you think about the missing chunk off the front push bar?

Looks like they beefed up the vertical bars tho...

Edited by TBRider

38 minutes ago, TBRider said:

@Mac102004  What do you think about the missing chunk off the front push bar?

Looks like they beefed up the vertical bars tho...

I think the 2015 has a better front push bar on it. I think I'll have to push over less trees with the 2022.

• Like 1

Nice looking tires -----  The right rear tire looks like it didn't seat the bed to the rim , down at the bottom 

image.png

• Like 1